I currently have an old old PC as a DAW, but have it set-up pretty well. Its ok, I just use Fruity Loops with it so it doesnt tax the system too much. I also have a Fostex 16 track MTR. I record stuff with that, then USB it over to the computer and use Cubase SX2 for general editing, mixing mastering. I have no Firewire interface or anything like that for the computer as I think it would be a waste since the comp is pretty rubbish.

I will only ever be recording by myself at home, maybe recording two inputs simultaniously maximum.

Lookie here

Thinking of getting this PC (the cheapest one, PC 1!) to use as a DAW, get some type of Firewire hardware and work solely with that. Selling the Fostex to put money towards it of course.

Now......question time.......

1. What do people think of the specs on the PC1 (the cheapest one)? Would it be good for what I need?

2. How much of a hassle is it to "move" a DAW from one computer to another? I would like to move everything I have music related to the new PC. I have to reinstall everything again right?

3. If I go ahead with everything, I will probably upgrade my version of Cubase to the newest edition. If I get the newest version of Cubase, will my old projects function as they should?
Is there an possibility where maybe one track may be messed up because its using an old Cubase plugin thats not on the new version (not nessecarily that but you know what I mean, compatibility issues!)?
Ill have to reinstall any plugins and VST instuments in this scenario again wont I...?

Thanks very much in advance for your pearls of wisdom!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Specs would not pull up for me...but TBH I think all of those "music PCs" are a gimmick and not worth spending money on. They actually look like a bare bones desktop PC and you could easily build or buy a better unit off a store shelf then use it to record.

The "DAW" is the PC itself...the sequencer and such as the software. Simply unplug your hard drive from the old machine and plug it into the new one and you will have all the old files. You will need to reinstall the sequencer. (cubase...sonar, FL...whatever you have)

The old projects should upgrade to the new software. I upgraded from Sonar 6 Producer to 7 Producer and it was easy...didn't even need to uninstall version 6. I would assume Cubase works just about the same way but read over some Cubase message boards or wait for a Cubase user here at UG to answer that.

If you uninstall Cubase, it will probably uninstall the VSTi plugins which didn't come with Cubase. You will need to reinstall those if you move to a new PC or uninstall.

If I were to get a new desktop PC I would build my own these days. You can get a nice machine for the price compared to store units. If you want to simply go to a store and buy a desktop PC, take it home and reformat it so that it takes all the crap off. Reinstall drivers for any necessary functions such as wireless internet, printers...
Then install your hardware and everything.

Tweaks Guide goes over installing hardware and software as well as what to get when building a DAW. Thing is I would go to the message board to see what to get for hardware. Even though the guide is fairly up to date, computer hardware changes on a weekly bases so prices can greatly differ from month to month.

I'm sure axemanchris will chime in with advice that you dont need a new computer. He still uses a two your old brick for his recordings

As for me, I run a very simple AMD 2.20GHz single core processor with 2GB of very cheap ram and a low priced $100 video card. It does lag a little when working with a lot of VSTis and such but other than that it works quite well and if I was only recording audio I would not be looking to upgrade.
These days I work with video editing software so I really do need the upgrade.

So yea sometimes you dont need a full priced super computer to record music. If you are going to be doing a lot of high end productions then yes it would be wise to spend more on your PC but for hobby use by yourself an average, every day PC would most likely work just fine.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 24, 2008,
thanks for the detailed response, very helpful. The computer im using is about 4 or 5 years old I reckon. Not sure of the specs off hand but I think the RAM is only 512. That should give you an indication of where it comes in terms of capabilities

It runs fine in fruity loops and have had no problems with cubase on it yet really. some free VSTi stuff does make it stagger for a moment but it gets its bearings and is good to go again.

I reformatted it when I got it and just stuck XP back on, got rid of some unnessecary stuff and it was fine.

Just exploring my options really.

I reckon for now ill just stick with what I have and import WAVs from the Fostex when needed.

Cheers.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

4 years old is quite old actually...
Computers off the shelf are not that expensive and so you may just want to pick one up to get a little boost for your home use.

for $300 - $400 you could get a very nice PC these days...Intel dual core and about 2GB of memory.

My mom still has a old Dell with a Pentium 4 around 1.5GHz and just 512MB memory as well. I think the drive is just 60GB. It works but I would never use it for recording these days lol

Most PCs will have Vista on them now so you will will be best off putting XP on the machine. 2GB of memory would be nice as well.
Quote by moody07747
Simply unplug your hard drive from the old machine and plug it into the new one and you will have all the old files.

Unless you are putting the old harddrive into a PC of roughly the same specs (AMD into a new AMD machine ect...) chances are the old operating system will simply not work. You will need to re-install a new OS and all the programs with it.
Rarely have i seen putting an old OS into a new build work....once in a blue moon it does work and it'll find the new drivers and DLL's...but 8-10 times it simply does not.

And if you upgrade to cubase4...and use any DX VSTI's...i believe those are rendered useless too...i think steinberg did away with DX support...i could be wrong as i have not looked into it...just going on what i've heard.
Quote by PsychomanZ
Unless you are putting the old harddrive into a PC of roughly the same specs (AMD into a new AMD machine ect...) chances are the old operating system will simply not work. You will need to re-install a new OS and all the programs with it.
Rarely have i seen putting an old OS into a new build work....once in a blue moon it does work and it'll find the new drivers and DLL's...but 8-10 times it simply does not.

It's XP, so it isn't that old. Chances are there are no specific drivers that are exclusive to Vista only.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
OK I just tested the limits of my PC yesterday on Cubase SX2 and it couldnt handle as much as I had hoped it could.... The CPU and RAM must have been overloading.

So thinking again about a new PC. We have a home PC for the whole family to use at the moment so that can handle everyday use. With a new PC it will be solely for music making and recording. Would the PCs I linked to not be good for this?

Are the specs good for the price?

Aaaaaaaaand the only real hassle I wiuld have would be to reinstall everything ? Projects and sounds etc. will al function fine after moving the files and reinstalling VST programs?

Thanks for all the input
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX