So I'm gonna buy a new guitar when I got the money. I have looked at a lot of guitars but this one caught me. I have just a short question for it... Would it suit rock as good as metal? My band plays mainly those genres... also a fair bit of clean, but what I've heard the cleans are pretty good on this one. My amp is a Randall RG50TC so the distortion will get pretty awesome if I buy this guitar.

You may wonder why I don't simply go try it... Well the local guitar store don't have these guitars and if I tell them to order the Dean I'll probably have to buy it..
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I've got it in sliverburst. it's a pretty versatile guitar. Shines for metal, but does other things pretty well. I have the pickups from a USA exotica in it now and it's alot better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I've got it in sliverburst. it's a pretty versatile guitar. Shines for metal, but does other things pretty well. I have the pickups from a USA exotica in it now and it's alot better.

Would you recommend it?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
i've played a couple of Deans, and i've never been a fan of any of them. but they look so damn nice. but i guess that's one of the drawbacks, they're more focused on the looks. i think they're overpriced and you could get something better for your money.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
i've played a couple of Deans, and i've never been a fan of any of them. but they look so damn nice. but i guess that's one of the drawbacks, they're more focused on the looks. i think they're overpriced and you could get something better for your money.

Suggestions? And I know an Epiphone Les Paul would fit me perfectly but I jsut don't... like them.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by ugmung

For the record, Mr. Dean designed the shapes of the guitar for tone, not looks believe it or not. The (in)famous headstock was designed to maximize the string angle over the nut to help with tuning stability. The list keeps going, but I'll end it there. This isn't the point of the thread.

Of all the Deans being made right now, the ML79 is the diamond in the rough. If anyone asks me about a Dean, I almost always recommend this guitar. The guitar is great out of the box for Southern Rock, and just plain ol' dirty rock. The pickups are pretty hot, but not to the extent of being over the top, such as an EMG. Honestly, you won't regret buying this guitar. If you have any other questions about it, I'll happily answer them
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Deans are overpriced, and i cant stand them. Hell for the money look at jackson, schecter or ESP LTD. Deans look nice, but play and sound like **** unless you want to spend 2000 bucks! There are alot better guitars ot there for a better price. Dont go Dean.
Quote by fila_93
Would you recommend it?

Yes, love the fast neck on this thing and it has good build quality.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Deans are overpriced, and i cant stand them. Hell for the money look at jackson, schecter or ESP LTD. Deans look nice, but play and sound like **** unless you want to spend 2000 bucks! There are alot better guitars ot there for a better price. Dont go Dean.

But Jackson and ESP are like metal only guitars...

I haven't decided yet though.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by IPlaySchecter

Thats one of the stupidest arguments why not to buy a Dean. They're not overpriced, their top of the line models are overpriced as all other brands. Their midrange models are really well made and cheap, especially the '79 series.

To TS, if you like the ML79 buy it but you should try it before you buy it, as always.

To bad the silverbursts don't have multiply binding.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Quote by fila_93
But Jackson and ESP are like metal only guitars...

I haven't decided yet though.

Jackson guitars are actually more expensive than a Dean for the same features. People never check the info they post. Instead they repeat what every other person on UG says...

The ML79 is a really great instrument for the price. Sure it's not gonna play or sound like a $3000 instrument, but it's still a nice guitar. Try to find one around you and test it out if you can. I've got a Braziliaburst ML79 that I bought used for a stage guitar since I didn't want to risk my vintage '84 getting damaged. It's a great player and I don't regret the decision of buying it
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I've got the white V version of the 79 and it is one of my favorite guitars, out of the 17 I have. The pick ups are passive and you would do fine playing rock to metal. You really need to not be thinking that one guitar is for only one type of music etc etc. ESP's are far ffrom just metal etc etc...and Deans are not just for _____ (put whatever you want here). A lot more of how you sound will ride simple on your EQ/gain/pedals etc...

Sure, guitars lend themselves a little easier to some tones, ie active pickups=better gain etc, but that doesn't mean you can't get nice clean or rock tones also. And ESP's do not all have active pups by the way.

If the 79ML is what you like then go for it.
I would shy away from the '79 series. Very boring neck too play and a very boring guitar to listen to.

I had a '79 series Dean Z and nothing really stuck out for me. I mean it was an alright guitar and everything, but something was always missing for me. So I sold it.

New Deans don't hold a candle to the old ones.

I say go buy a Schecter or an ESP/LTD. Better quality for the price you pay.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by oakn
Thats one of the stupidest arguments why not to buy a Dean. They're not overpriced, their top of the line models are overpriced as all other brands. Their midrange models are really well made and cheap, especially the '79 series.

To TS, if you like the ML79 buy it but you should try it before you buy it, as always.

To bad the silverbursts don't have multiply binding.

You hit the nail on the head! CHEAP! and im not talking about the price tag! I'm sure you werent either.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
You hit the nail on the head! CHEAP! and im not talking about the price tag! I'm sure you werent either.

I think you're flagging the company way too hard.

The '79 series are not bad guitars.

They aren't stupidly overpriced like any of the models that have anything to do with Dime, they really don't sound too bad stock and they aren't any better or worse than any other MIK guitars. They're just different.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I would recommend it. And I'm not a Dean fanboy. I'm more of a Jackson/Charvel enthusiast.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Very boring neck too play and a very boring guitar to listen to.

Umm.... what? I've never played a guitar and thought "Wow, this neck is boring!" Can you clarify because that makes little sense... And boring to listen to? Maybe you're just a boring guitarist?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Yup agreed, obviously some "guitarists" let their guitars play for them and not the other way around.
Quote by Flux'D
Umm.... what? I've never played a guitar and thought "Wow, this neck is boring!" Can you clarify because that makes little sense... And boring to listen to? Maybe you're just a boring guitarist?

It makes perfect sense. If a neck has no character and just feels like other generic guitar necks.

Does insulting people's guitar playing ability help you sleep at night? I never mentioned that I'm a brilliant player and that I'm better than everybody, so why bring that up.

Quote by DeanESPJackson
Yup, obviously some "guitarists" let their guitars play for them and not the other way around.

You're a tool.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It makes perfect sense. If a neck has no character and just feels like other generic guitar necks.

Does insulting people's guitar playing ability help you sleep at night? I never mentioned that I'm a brilliant player and that I'm better than everybody, so why bring that up.

Lol sry, I didn't mean that to be taken in such a negative tone. I just didn't know what you meant by a boring neck.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Lol sry, I didn't mean that to be taken in such a negative tone. I just didn't know what you meant by a boring neck.

Well for future reference, if you attack somebody in that kind of manner, it's going to be taken negatively.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I disagree about the boring neck. I have played MLs, Razorbacks, and Vendettas and I don't think any of them have boring necks. Plus a neck is preference, I don't believe you have any right stating that something is "boring" or down rating it because you didn't happen to like it. These guitars a very well built and nice instruments. I will say, on some razorbacks, the paint job quality can be par. Good thing your not looking at a Razorback.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
I disagree about the boring neck. I have played MLs, Razorbacks, and Vendettas and I don't think any of them have boring necks. Plus a neck is preference, I don't believe you have any right stating that something is "boring" or down rating it because you didn't happen to like it. These guitars a very well built and nice instruments. I will say, on some razorbacks, the paint job quality can be par. Good thing your not looking at a Razorback.

Whatever, disagree all you want, the neck is still boring and plain to me and there's not a damn thing you can do to change that fact.

You can play as many Deans as you want for all I care.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Whatever, disagree all you want, the neck is still boring and plain to me and there's not a damn thing you can do to change that fact.

You can play as many Deans as you want for all I care.

You're extremely ignorant.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
You're extremely ignorant.

Ask me if I give a damn.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Ask me if I give a damn.

hahahahahahahahaha.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
I have half a mind to report you guys arguing, cut it the hell out!

TS, I personally have a mixed opinion of the 79, I think it looks awesome, plays fairly well and for the price, has a good sound. bottom line, it's an okay guitar, you just need to try it out and see how much you like it.
Yeah I'm gonna ask the guy at the store if he can order one of these and I'll try it out...

I've heard a lot of bad things about the floyd rose though, so I'm gonna tell him to order one wtihout.

Thanks for all the help guys!
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I should have stated my ML is a non floyd. You may want to browes the Dean forum. Much better info on this specific guitar.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I should have stated my ML is a non floyd. You may want to browes the Dean forum. Much better info on this specific guitar.

So where can I find this forum?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
You can find a link on www.deanguitars.com under the community tab

I don't recommend getting the Floyded version. The one it comes with isn't a bad LFR, but I just don't care for Floyds all that much. Such a hassle to mess with them, when you only use them MAYBE 1% of the time you play. Just isn't worth it
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60