Im in the process of purchasing a Fender Delus strat SSS, just need to pick the color.

Next up is amplification. all i ever had was cheapo marshall solid state practice amps.

I want to pick up a small 20-40 watt max practice valve amp.

As i have absolutely no knowledge of amps, I was just going to go straight for the fenders. can anyone adivse where i should start.

I know going to play a few in the store is the best idea, but i want to know what to ask for first, and have some knowledge of what others looking to get a electric blues sound are playing.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.. best selling valve combo, and with good reason
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I know here in Australia the prices are much higher that Europe so the peavey classic 30 might be in your price range, but mainly the majority of the small (affordable) tube amps I know of are:

the epi valve junior
peavey classic 30
fender blues junior
the vox ac15 or ac30
fender pro junior

they are all that come to mind from when I was in search of one.

Quote by xander307

the hot rod deluxe is great but it isn't small or cheap ...
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
prices in europe are as high as they are anywhere id guess, with some shops quoting 1500 for a delux strat HSS. Thanks for the jumping off points guys. il go to the local music store and see if they have a few i can try out.
Laney LC30 or VC30.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ I play blues but never heard of "electric" blues so I wasn't sure. Yea - the 15 watt would be fine for bedroom levels.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
fender blues junior sounds great, try out a buch of fender amps and see what suits you. happy amp hunting!
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
can't you buy a fender blues jr with that budget?

go for it! real tube overdrive and decent tone in ur bedroom! with valve juniors, you can't get real tube overdrive in ur bedroom before your mom yells at you. :p maybe swap your tubes and speakers sometimes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
blackheart little giant makes a beautiful blues amp that can get crunchy. but if you want pristine cleans and that american voicing, then i guess go fender.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by xander307

i disagree
the drive is pretty weak and only sounds good with an od in front
it does have great cleans though. i preferred the NOS blues junior but couldn't afford it at the time (i got my hrd used)

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

most of the good amps have already been recommended, but I'd like to add the crate palomino v16 to the list. Great blues/classic rock amp.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
The Blues Jr. is just perfect for your needs.

I have one, and have gotten nothing but compliments about my tone and playing since.
bump blues jr. flat out awesome and the right volume...i played a blues deluxe and it was too loud
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
BJ's are nice, but I really like the Blackheart little giant. It's very old school, and breaks up a ton more than a BJ. You could get a blackheart little giant combo for under 300 I think. It's 5 watts with a 12 inch speaker, I would play one in my bedroom.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I have been searching for something very similar, and decided on a Blackheart Handsome Devil (15 watt tube). Fender blues junior is another decent choice