So I want a JEM. But something's wrong!

The white JEM555 is beautiful, but, its neck inlay is sooo much less spectacular than that of the JEM77V and the JEM7V:

So the 7V meets most criteria but then it's got this horrible gold hardware and gold headstock logo

Sooo

What I need is a JEM555 with the 7V fretboard but nót the 7V headstock (so switching necks is not an option). Should I be able to pressurise Ibanez into starting to produce it? Or how much would a custom job land me? (If custom I'd take out the grip, too, so I like that idea).

Sorry I seem to be nitpicking too much but spending over a $1000 on a guitar allows one to, I think. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Nov 24, 2008,
You could buy the one with gold hardware and change the hardwear?

Just a suggestion...
You realize that the jem 7V is over 2,500 dollars... And by the way I also tried to do it but it's pretty much impossible so choose one of those and you won't be disappointed trust me. I bought the 77V and I LOVE IT!!!!
Don't buy a 555, because:

-you're paying Prestige prices for a non-Prestige guitar

-the only things that sets this apart from a regular Korean RG are the pickups and a few cosmetic touches.

-it's called JEM JR. for a reason.

-you're paying hundreds just for the Steve Vai name on your guitar.

-it's one of the most overpriced signatures I can think off.

-the value for money is terrbile.

-if you want to do crazy whammy stuff with it, be prepared to add 150-200 dollars to the pricetag for a new trem.

-you can get something like an RG1570 for much cheaper and that guitar already has a better trem (plus a better neck, better quality control and better materials).

The JEM555 is one of the worst deals Ibanez currently has to offer; I know the regular JEMs aren't cheap either, but at least they're good guitars with quality parts.

By taking a bog standard Korean RG and slapping on half of the vine inlay, a fancy scratchplate, a few cosmetic touches like a 'Steve Vai' inlay at the 24th fret and some new pickups they've created a guitar which is equal in quality, but about three times the price, of the regular production model this started out as.

I'd suggest getting a Japanese Ibanez (be it used or new) and customizing it to your needs.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Don't buy a 555, because:

-you're paying Prestige prices for a non-Prestige guitar

-the only things that sets this apart from a regular Korean RG are the pickups and a few cosmetic touches.

-it's called JEM JR. for a reason.

-you're paying hundreds just for the Steve Vai name on your guitar.

-it's one of the most overpriced signatures I can think off.

-the value for money is terrbile.

-if you want to do crazy whammy stuff with it, be prepared to add 150-200 dollars to the pricetag for a new trem.

-you can get something like an RG1570 for much cheaper and that guitar already has a better trem (plus a better neck, better quality control and better materials).

The JEM555 is one of the worst deals Ibanez currently has to offer; I know the regular JEMs aren't cheap either, but at least they're good guitars with quality parts.

By taking a bog standard Korean RG and slapping on half of the vine inlay, a fancy scratchplate, a few cosmetic touches like a 'Steve Vai' inlay at the 24th fret and some new pickups they've created a guitar which is equal in quality, but about three times the price, of the regular production model this started out as.

I'd suggest getting a Japanese Ibanez (be it used or new) and customizing it to your needs.

that.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ok so let's check out the custom option. How would I manage that?

Err

or where

^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
you might as well get an RG350DX and replace the neck, trem and pickups.

It'd probably cost the same and it'd look how you want it to aswell.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I wouldn't actually recommend doing this but it'd essentially get the TS what he wants.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Nov 24, 2008,
Errrrr. What's wrong with the black one? The 77VBK... No gold hardware. Different wood/pickups though, but still.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
you might as well get an RG350DX and replace the neck, trem and pickups.

It'd probably cost the same and it'd look how you want it to aswell.

EDIT: I should make it clear that I wouldn't actually recommend doing this but it'd essentially get the TS what he wants.

That's a good one. Still where would I get a neck with the full Vine inlay and the Great White w/black inscription headstock?
And why is this RG350DX only $400?

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find the JEM pickups somewhere.

...blah. I finally caught up with everything Gibson and now I'm interested in a whole new brand I know virtually nothing about again

edit: empty box? the black one is kinda ugly..!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I happen to like the black one a lot more than the white one (also I don't mind the gold hardware).

Lastly, wouldn't an Ibanez-made custom be a crapload of money and where are you gonna find a neck with the vine inlays?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I perfer the white one with black hardware. Black seems to be an overused color.

I wish they had one in a natural wood finish. That'd be sexy.....
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Ibanez wont give you a custom guitar no matter how much you beg them. LACS isn't open to the public. Buy a body off warmoth or something, or replace the 7v Hardware.
So who could make a RG350DX neck to resemble the JEM 7V neck inlay? That's my only problem ATM (I'll replace the pickups and hardware)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Nov 24, 2008,
Go on JEMsite.com, and at the top their are links to many different custom shops. They can build you a JEM or just get you a jem neck that should work with a 350.
Ok great

So why's the 350 only $400? whats wrong with it, besides the pickups?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Crappy bridge, cheaper materials all round - it's pretty but that's about it, it's not a great guitar.

If you don't mind me saying you don't seem to be short of a bob or two, I'm sure there's people in the US that can do vine inlays but the only one I know of is in the UK.

www.cottamguitars.co.uk

If I were you though I'd be looking to import a J-Custom from Japan.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh I'm not rich, I'm only a poor student iand I work two days a weekend and sometimes after college and then spend all my earned money on gear.

I make about $700 a month but there's really nothing else to spend it on besides rehearsal fees, vinyl records and weed.

Anyway. It's a great site. But could you tell me more about the J-Customs? Wouldnt those be horribly expensive, esp. if you add the vine mod of over $300? And where can I find an overview of those guitars?

EDIT: HEAVENS they are some ex-ex-expensive guitars O_o

So considering the above I think it follows that I wouldn't want to spend more than $1200 on a guitar, the WHOLE. Ruling out the ridiculously expensive J-Customs the thread turns around again:

If I want a guitar that looks like the white JEM on a budget of $1200, take off $300 for the Vine Inlay job, and maybe $200 for the pickups? that leaves $700 for the basic guitar, that includes an awesome trem. If the 350 is substandard, then what should I get?

Or, could I get the 350 and replace the bridge with a Lo Pro and then the pickups and inlay job? Thén what would still be wrong with the guitar? I would like Grover mini tuners on them...
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by bornfidelity
Oh I'm not rich, I'm only a poor student iand I work two days a weekend and sometimes after college and then spend all my earned money on gear.

I make about $700 a month but there's really nothing else to spend it on besides rehearsal fees, vinyl records and weed.

Anyway. It's a great site. But could you tell me more about the J-Customs? Wouldnt those be horribly expensive, esp. if you add the vine mod of over $300? And where can I find an overview of those guitars?

Some J-Customs already have a vine inlay.

Yes, they are expensive, but they're not insanely overpriced.

For the current line up, check:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/series_jp.php?series_id=1&year=2008&cat_id=1

To buy them:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/index.htm
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping_20.php?cate=1&s_cate=1&brand=101&state=1&img_flg=1&page_cnt=12&order=1&state2=&start_index=24

Also, some UK stores occasionally get them, like these guys:

http://guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars.asp?brandname=Ibanez&order=2
Quote by Bonsaischaap

280 000 yen is like $3000. O_o
Ánd those J customs don't have pickguards. Which I think kindof boring! So back to my last question (but thanks for the information ); would upgrading the 350 result in a great guitar as well, or what higher end model could I get to then customise?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
280 000 yen is like $3000. O_o
Ánd those J customs don't have pickguards. Which I think kindof boring! So back to my last question (but thanks for the information ); would upgrading the 350 result in a great guitar as well, or what higher end model could I get to then customise?

Well, if I had a 1200 budget, I'd aim for the Ibanez RG2550 ($1000):

Or, the much cooler looking RG770DX ($1300):

Both of these guitars have quality materials and trems. You won't be able to get a vine inlay on those necks, but that's merely cosmetic.

With the rest of your money you could get some DiMarzio pickups and you should be all set.

Just remember that you don't have to do all the mods at once. It's best to get a quality guitar and update it later.

If you spread the modifications over a few months you'll end up with a far better guitar than if you buy an RG350 and all the upgrades in one go.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, if I had a 1200 budget, I'd aim for the Ibanez RG2550 ($1000):

Or, the much cooler looking RG770DX ($1300):

Both of these guitars have quality materials and trems. You won't be able to get a vine inlay on those necks, but that's merely cosmetic.

With the rest of your money you could get some DiMarzio pickups and you should be all set.

Just remember that you don't have to do all the mods at once. It's best to get a quality guitar and update it later.

If you spread the modifications over a few months you'll end up with a far better guitar than if you buy an RG350 and all the upgrades in one go.

Wow that's a great one. Although the headstock doesn't match the rest of the guitar... why would they give a $400 white guitar a better looking headstock than a $1000 white guitar? Would a custom shop be able to change that back?
And why couldn't there be a vine inlay on this guitar?

Besides that it's a wonderful guitar. Pearl white pickguard, white knobs. Hmm
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
Wow that's a great one. Although the headstock doesn't match the rest of the guitar... why would they give a $400 white guitar a better looking headstock than a $1000 white guitar? Would a custom shop be able to change that back?
And why couldn't there be a vine inlay on this guitar?

Besides that it's a wonderful guitar. Pearl white pickguard, white knobs. Hmm

Well, the headstock on the white one is just their Prestige headstock.

You could get it refinished if you find a luthier that can replicate/order the Ibanez logo and more importantly, the Galaxy white paint (it's not just plain white).

The reason why you can't install a vine is because of the existing inlays (Ghost Sharktooth).
Personally I think you're too concerned about looks. Seeing how you're really rich and don't have $3000+ to drop on a guitar, I think you're asking a bit too much for yourself right now. What you're asking for is essentially a custom JEM guitar, which you don't have the money for.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
Personally I think you're too concerned about looks. Seeing how you're really rich and don't have $3000+ to drop on a guitar, I think you're asking a bit too much for yourself right now. What you're asking for is essentially a custom JEM guitar, which you don't have the money for.

I'm not rich, that's the point.

But I'm picky about spending a lot of money when it comes to looks. It took me five months to find a pair of shoes I like enough to wear, that's about the same. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73