yes Jazz is pretty complex, I would either ensure you are well versed in both intermediate/advanced chord and scale theory before teaching yourself or get a teacher. Best option is get a teacher.
There's not really any such thing ass jazz "basics" - the word basics implies things that are simple or easy and that's not really the case.

I suppose there's fundamentals of jazz, core concepts that crop up often but they're still all fairly complex in their own right,=.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's not really any such thing ass jazz "basics" - the word basics implies things that are simple or easy and that's not really the case.

I suppose there's fundamentals of jazz, core concepts that crop up often but they're still all fairly complex in their own right,=.

+1

Just exactly how much theory do you already know?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I just posted my first (newbie) attempt at a jazz solo (see link in my sig), based on a beginner's Blues to Jazz tab in the April '08 Guitarist magazine. Give it a go if you can get hold of a copy.
Quote by Badger Land
Jazz can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it.

Not really, even some of the very first elements of jazz. I'm having to read through 10 times just to get it in the back door of my brain. I read about swing eighth notes (the basic of the basic in jazz) and said ok got that. I didn't really get it though, how to use it properly, and that is like page 1 of my jazz theory book.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
Not really, even some of the very first elements of jazz. I'm having to read through 10 times just to get it in the back door of my brain. I read about swing eighth notes (the basic of the basic in jazz) and said ok got that. I didn't really get it though, how to use it properly, and that is like page 1 of my jazz theory book.

Yeah, it's tough to get the swing feel down on your fingers and ears. And also, jazz theory in many ways is more complicated than classical music's