Im going to buy my 1st guitar for christmas. Ive heard that ibanez and yamaha pacifica are good. I'm looking for something around £100-150 ($200-300). Any suggestions?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I would suggest just going to local music shops and trying out different guitars. You never know what you will like or fall in love with until you try them. Even if you don't have much experience playing guitar, just holding one and giving it a strum might guide you to the right one- that's how I found my first guitar.
In that price range i would look at the Ibanex rg321mh. Its a mahogony guitar with a fast neck. If you are more into single coils maybe look at the squire classic vibe guitars. Or the yamaha pacifica. Stay away from the Ibanez Gio's.
I want to play blues, jazz, punk maybe a bit of rock. Nothing too extreme
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I would stay far away from the Ibanez gio guitars. A pacifica would be much better.

Oh okay. Do you mind me asking what your first elec guitar was?
Quote by IPlaySchecter
In that price range i would look at the Ibanex rg321mh. Its a mahogony guitar with a fast neck. If you are more into single coils maybe look at the squire classic vibe guitars. Or the yamaha pacifica. Stay away from the Ibanez Gio's.

There's nothing wrong with starting out on an Ibanez Gio. I personally prefer mine over the PRS SE Singlecut that I played a while back.
Quote by dj20977
Im a bit confused..... :S

best advice: Go play a bunch of them and decide for yourself. All we can do is give opinions.
i suggest definitely trying before your buing

little things like action and intonation shouldn't be the first thing you have to do to your new guitar, i got an Aria strat style guitar and it's fine lol
Quote by dj20977
Oh okay. Do you mind me asking what your first elec guitar was?

My first electric guitar was an old fender telecaster that was handed down to me from my uncle. That thing would probally be worth a fortune now. That was back in 1983. Anyway i ended up trading it for a charvel.
Well, thanks everyone. This has really helped me. I guess i've got some thinking and testing to do...
Everybody will tell you to go try some. The truth is, if you don't know how to play, how are you going to try one!? In a similar thread one of the guys made the analagy of test driving cars before you even have a learner's permit, and it's a good analagy. You can't even operate the thing, nor do you have any idea of what's good or bad. The best you can do is get feedback on a bunch of different models from people here, and more or less just stab blindly at buying one.

Also, don't spend too much. Too many people will point you above a certain dollar amount, like that level somehow opens the door to some new holy grail of guitar quality. The fact is, there's gems and turds at all price levels, and but until you start playing, you won't even be able to tell the difference. Combine that with the very real possibility that you may find that learning to play isn't all it's cracked up to be, and that the guitar may wind up never getting played or resold. All this adds up to the same thing: Start with a modest guitar. Don't let anybody talk you into spending more than you want to spend. Your $200-300 price range will get you a fine starter guitar, and will probably get you a good enough guitar that you'll be satisfied with it for quite a while. Even some of the $100 stuff (Squire Bullet, Agile, Xavier) will suffice at first. After you've played for a few months, chances are you'll have a much better idea of what you really want, and then you can try them out for yourself and upgrade.
Quote by Jim85IROC
Everybody will tell you to go try some. The truth is, if you don't know how to play, how are you going to try one!? In a similar thread one of the guys made the analagy of test driving cars before you even have a learner's permit, and it's a good analagy. You can't even operate the thing, nor do you have any idea of what's good or bad. The best you can do is get feedback on a bunch of different models from people here, and more or less just stab blindly at buying one.

Also, don't spend too much. Too many people will point you above a certain dollar amount, like that level somehow opens the door to some new holy grail of guitar quality. The fact is, there's gems and turds at all price levels, and but until you start playing, you won't even be able to tell the difference. Combine that with the very real possibility that you may find that learning to play isn't all it's cracked up to be, and that the guitar may wind up never getting played or resold. All this adds up to the same thing: Start with a modest guitar. Don't let anybody talk you into spending more than you want to spend. Your $200-300 price range will get you a fine starter guitar, and will probably get you a good enough guitar that you'll be satisfied with it for quite a while. Even some of the $100 stuff (Squire Bullet, Agile, Xavier) will suffice at first. After you've played for a few months, chances are you'll have a much better idea of what you really want, and then you can try them out for yourself and upgrade.
Well said! Listen to this man!
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I would stay far away from the Ibanez gio guitars. A pacifica would be much better.

I'd stay away from Ibanez altogather
Quote by Silent_Crow13
I'd stay away from Ibanez altogather

I agree, to this day I haven't played a single Ibanez that was any good. And I've played about all the ones at my local guitar center.

One thing you might want to do is buy a guitar used and try before you buy. You will get a much better deal every time.