What is the best tactic to take power chords?

I know the most praised and professional method is with the 3rd finger barree and that's what I have been using for a long time now. It seems to be economical...
But I have noticed that the 3-fingered power chord (1st, 3rd and the pinky -- all get one string) is a lot more accurate (you can only hit the correct strings, especially when you have to fast alternate pick the chords), better sounding and more slideable. I used them when I just started playing the guitar, but then heard that only beginners use it.
And then there's the pinky finger tactic, which I can't understand at all. It's impossible to make the 3 strings ring with the pinky and it's more difficult to slide.

What do you think? Which method do you use?

Thanks!
pinky stretches your hand less
easier to move with 3rd finger barre
clearer with all 3 fingers

i use 3rd finger barre but i prefer the sound of a two string power chord without the octave, because it is darker and if i want a fuller chord i'll go with a barred full chord

basically it doesnt matter as long as you can do it best and it sounds best to you
I use 1st and pinky. To me its a lot simpler on the lower notes, but up in th higher frets I switch to 1st and 3rd because your fingers get pretty cramped up there.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
I always use the Index finger and the pinky for simple powerchords ( just 2 strings) en for 3 strings I use the Index finger for the root note and the 3rd and 4th finger for the 2 extra strings:
2 strings 3 strings
----1------------------ - 1th finger ------1---------------- - 1th finger
----3------------------ - 4th finger ------3---------------- - 3th finger
----------------------- ------3---------------- - 4th finger
----------------------- -----------------------

Works out pretty fine for me :]
Isn't it easier to slide 2 note chords with the 3rd finger than the pinky?
index - root
ring - 5th
pinky - root octave

this way you can keep your middle finger ready for barre chords
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I use my fisrt and middle finger I have done it like that the whole time ive been playing and it works fine for me

EDIT-I meant first and ring dont ask why I said middle my brain isnt up to par this morning
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Last edited by punk_metal2007 at Nov 24, 2008,
But when you barre with the ring finger, you also press down the higher notes, that are not included in the chord and making them ring. It makes the sound messier.
But when you barre with the ring finger, you also press down the higher notes, that are not included in the chord and making them ring. It makes the sound messier.

True, you do have to be more careful when using the barre'd form. Practice makes better though.

Personally, I like to use the barred form simply 'coz there're less fingers involved. However, I do use the 3-finger form when I'm planning to switch to certain chords (3rd chords/triads, for example). Just a force of habit really though, not really a massive advantage to it.
Quote by Amarant

not if you mute them properly but it is possible if you dont know what your doing

i kinda just switch between index and ring, or index middle and ring depending on where i am on the fretboard. My buddy who is ****ing amazing can use his index and pinky for two or three note powerchords
I do index and pinky, ring if I have to do octaves.

alot easier to reach around with the pinky already on the neck than having to put it up first

// imo
You like it
Quote by Dark_Raven10
I use 1st and pinky. To me its a lot simpler on the lower notes, but up in th higher frets I switch to 1st and 3rd because your fingers get pretty cramped up there.

^^^ That's how I play too,
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
You could try this sometimes:

Instead of 5th you play 3rd

e-------/-------------
b-------/-------------
g-------/-------------
d---5--/---5-------5
a---5--/---1--Or--2
E---3--/---3-------3

it sounds good to me..
The song explains an emotion, as an end to lifelong mysteries, and the fantasy, for the fantasy is final result of reality...
Fantasy Engines
Josip Pesut
Well for power chords i don't play the octave of the root, I just play the Root and the 5th (index finger and usually pinky, sometimes 3rd finger). This way you have two fingers free to embelish the 'chord' if necessary.