Ello there, I was playing some Gibsons today in a shop and came across a Gibson Les Paul Standard. It was made in 1979 and was used to record some Bob Marley songs in a studio. The weight of it is unbelievable. Compared to the new Gibsons, its so much heavier.
I was playing a new Standard today also and was much much lighter than what I expected, although it sounded nice, I still couldn't get over the nostalgia of playing the '79 Gibson. It was so solid and felt like a real guitar.

Anyways, was 1979 a good year for Gibson? This guitar is going for 2,000 euro whilst the new Standard is going for 1,900 euro.
The '79 Gibson has some wear and tear but adds to the look of it. It's White with gold hardware and a black pick guard... I think, as far as I remember.

So... any experience with one?

Btw, the older guitar had much more sustain.
Fender American Deluxe SSS Stratocaster (2004)
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
Jim Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
Yeah true and I think the Mojo sums it up 100%

Thanks.
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
If you've played both of them then it's really which one sounds and plays better to you, so why ask us? As to which year is better, 1979 isn't a 'classic year' or anything and Gibsons are getting better nowadays despite losing much credibility over the years. I played an 82' Standard before I bought my 07' Standard and I preferred my 07' but the problem with Gibson quality is it varies from guitar to guitar, I just happened to find a really good one whereas there are plenty of bad 07's about as there are any other year.
Thanks Lewis,

Yeah I played them but I'm stuck between the two.
They both sounded great but am still unsure. I'm just really curious if 79 was a great year for Gibson's, and you've just said it wasnt a 'Classic' year, so thats good to know .

Thanks man
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
Quote by Acoustic Guitar
Thanks Lewis,

Yeah I played them but I'm stuck between the two.
They both sounded great but am still unsure. I'm just really curious if 79 was a great year for Gibson's, and you've just said it wasnt a 'Classic' year, so thats good to know .

Thanks man

No worries my friend

I'm not trying to dishearten you here, but the 70's is widely regarded as one of the worst decades for Gibson quality but as I said, chances are they made some good guitars in that era.
What does it matter if 79 was a great year? If it was, you wouldn't be able to afford it.
The fact that this individual instrument sounds better than others you played means the guitar was a good one. There are great guitars from any year of manufacture, and it sounds like you found one. Buy it.