Ok, as many threads I have made before have stated is that im recording/producing an album soon and I wanted to know what a good cheap mixer-to-computer is and what they actually do and how they work.

I have about 150 pounds, roughly 225-250 dollars, and I have never done recording before but I'm one of those ideas/visionary people and have so many ideas for my EP and I don't really know how a mixer works ... like can I use my pedals and stuff like that. I will be recording two or three differant guitar parts per song, one bass part, one drum part, few piano/synth parts and a lead and backing vocal parts... so, help?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
If it's just you, then you won't need a mixer at all. It's a common misconception...the mixer you should use is the software itself. All you'll need is a good piece of software (Ableton Live's probably the best for spontaneous recording, though Sonar's solid too) and a two track interface with mike preamps like the Mackie Onyx or Presonus Inspire 1394/Audiobox.
If your drums are acoustic, then you may want to invest in something with a bit more flexibility like the Firestudio Project, or daisy chain the Onyx or Inspire if you don't plan on using more than four microphones.
Finally you'll need a versatile microphone. A Shure SM57 or Samson CO3 can do the job well.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
If it's just you, then you won't need a mixer at all. It's a common misconception...the mixer you should use is the software itself. All you'll need is a good piece of software (Ableton Live's probably the best for spontaneous recording, though Sonar's solid too) and a two track interface with mike preamps like the Mackie Onyx or Presonus Inspire 1394/Audiobox.
If your drums are acoustic, then you may want to invest in something with a bit more flexibility like the Firestudio Project, or daisy chain the Onyx or Inspire if you don't plan on using more than four microphones.
Finally you'll need a versatile microphone. A Shure SM57 or Samson CO3 can do the job well.

thanks ... any idea of the cost? :S
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
The interfaces are around $200 each (I found a $150 Open box for the Mackie), and the microphones are $99 each. They both have basic versions of recording software so there's nothing else to get.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
The interfaces are around $200 each (I found a $150 Open box for the Mackie), and the microphones are $99 each. They both have basic versions of recording software so there's nothing else to get.

thanks
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3