I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an article/column/previous post that discusses all the parts of the guitar (electric and acoustic) and what they do. For instance, I'd like to know the difference between a single and a dual pickup (that is not my only question but that is the kind of thing I'd like to read about).
I'm not sure about a complete lst or anything, but what else do you want to know?

a humbucker (two coils) has, well, two coils. One of the coils is the opposite polarity, and because of this, cancells out the humming sound you often hear with single coils. The middle single coil in a strat-style guitar (with 3 singles) is RWRP, meaning reverse-wound, reverse polarity. This allows you to get the single coil sound, while reducing the hum when you use it along with either of the other 2 pickups.
All the pickups in a strat-style guitar (3 single coils) are wired in parallel, where the two coils of a humbucker are in series. This gives a humbucker a higher output and warmer tone than a single coil.
Theres more differences, too, but thats the basics. What else were you wondering, I could try to explain...
Quote by james4
I'm not sure about a complete lst or anything, but what else do you want to know?

a humbucker (two coils) has, well, two coils. One of the coils is the opposite polarity, and because of this, cancells out the humming sound you often hear with single coils. The middle single coil in a strat-style guitar (with 3 singles) is RWRP, meaning reverse-wound, reverse polarity. This allows you to get the single coil sound, while reducing the hum when you use it along with either of the other 2 pickups.
All the pickups in a strat-style guitar (3 single coils) are wired in parallel, where the two coils of a humbucker are in series. This gives a humbucker a higher output and warmer tone than a single coil.
Theres more differences, too, but thats the basics. What else were you wondering, I could try to explain...

Thanks but the thing is I am so green that I wouldn't even know what to ask at this point beyond very basic questions.

Quote by steven seagull

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/guitar.htm

http://entertainment.howstuffworks....tric-guitar.htm

Thanks, I will definitely give those a look