so i bought an ovation acoustic guitar this summer, and i play every day. i am also to third owner of the guitar and i bought it from a hole-in-the-wall music store so i have no idea when the frets were last changed. i just want to know what would indicate the need for refretting. most of the frets look pretty worn, but im not sure how much i can let them wear before changing them. it started to rattle quite a bit recently. i haven't adjusted the truss rod yet, but i am going to try that in a few days when i get an allen wrench.
Frets only need to be changed when they're so low that the string touches the fretboard. It generally takes at least 10 years of thorough playing before one is really needed. You might need a fret dressing, but not a fret change.

As for the truss rod, do not use it to increase action/get rid of fret buzz. The truss rod is for bowing problems only.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
thank you very much... is there anything i can do to stop the buzzing or should i just get it looked at by a guitar store. if it matters at all the buzzing seems to be coming from the bridge area but it is hard to discern exactly where.
Its probably a good idea to get it checked out by a proper repair techie since they'll be able to physically check out the problem for you.

If you need to get your action raised then you'll need to stick a shim under your saddle. However, it's not something that you should do unless you know what you're doing. If it's done improperly then tone and volume will be sacrificed. The shim needs to contact the bridge and saddle perfectly.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.