i currently own a marshall mg100dfx..its a nice amp but i know a guy looking to buy an amp so i thought ..ill sell it and buy something new..

music/ sound im looking for
indy/rock...not metal..i play in yf bands etc

like to sound like the wombats, bloc party, biffy clyro, the cribs..

etc you get the idea..

i want a nice sounding amp..i feel the marshalls a bit tinny or something...i want a nice sound..

so i play with little distortion and high pitch chord fragments...so i need something with a good speaker to handle them...

i dont want to spend any over £500..

i do play at things but it hardly huge...300 people maybe?

so like i would prefer quality to size..

either cab/head or combo..

thanks guuys!
Try a Vox AD50VT or the 100w version. Their not tube but they sound perfect for what you want. Don't know if its the best, but its worth a look.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
thanks...i didnt think to look into vox amps..are they good?
i know marshall are reliable but a bit metally for my liking..i would love orange but theyre far too expensive..
that range of vox amp doesnt seem to be much of an improvement to my current marshall..

and the series up are far too expensive..
yea it sounds pretty good, maybe a bit bluesy though...well from the videos i saw..

how loud of an amp do you need for gigging?

would you put a mic to the amp or do you just play completely via amp?
Quote by richardh8828
thanks...i didnt think to look into vox amps..are they good?
i know marshall are reliable but a bit metally for my liking..i would love orange but theyre far too expensive..

Vox's are good. So are Orange and Laney. Most Marshalls are reliable, especially the older ones, but the MG's are not at all reliable. And when you say metally do mean 'tinny' as you called it?

30 watts is plenty for your sized gigs unmic'd. You would be surprised how loud a 30 watt tube amp is. I was going to suggest a Peavey Classic 30 but I'm not super familiar with those bands and I don't know the availablility where you are at so Laney makes a lot of sense.
they sound too trebley marshalls like i was playing a song i wrote last night and the sound was piercing my ears it wasnt great quality...but by metally i mean...rroooarrr metal lol like a metal band would use them..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wMgN2YkWggM this is the sound i like...he plays a tele...i have a strat..and uses orange amps

i have a roland 30w amp...i wouldnt have thought it could do a gig...but its not valve...its pretty basic..
Really only the MG's sound like that ^

Marshall valve amps are not just for metal. I don't consider Slash's tone to be metal.

didn't listen to the youtube clip.

your MG is not valve either.

Look for a used Laney or Orange.
a vox would be pretty nice, or you could get an orange tiny terror or some sort of tube fender
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
if a head is 30w ...yet you get a 60w cab...will the max output still be 30w?

i may get a marshall..theyre good for iny too right?

im not looking pro standard stuff..just something that sounds good..

my friend has a marshall avt 100 and it sounds sooo much better than mine

im tearing up the nearest city and hitting every music shop on thurs with my jamming partner looking at equip
Quote by richardh8828
if a head is 30w ...yet you get a 60w cab...will the max output still be 30w?

Still 30w

Quote by richardh8828

i may get a marshall..theyre good for iny too right?

im not looking pro standard stuff..just something that sounds good..

my friend has a marshall avt 100 and it sounds sooo much better than mine

im tearing up the nearest city and hitting every music shop on thurs with my jamming partner looking at equip

As long as you dont get an MG marshall will be fine, but if you avoid the mgs, you have to pay some money...
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
yea...i getcha...well my mg was £240...and im selling it for £140..and altgother im gonna spend approx £400-500 on an amp..