Ok, I woke up last thursday with a nasty pain behind my ear and down my neck. This was along with almost total numbness on the left side of my face. I went to the nuerologist and was diagnosed with Bells Palsy (basically a damaged or compressed nerve in the neck that controls facial movement and feeling). Luckily it's just like most other injuries in that it will generally heal up on it's own over a few weeks and I'll be no worse for wear.

Now here's my concern; BP is usually caused by either an infection or trauma but I've had neither recently (at least that I'm aware of). This leaves me in the posistion of trying to figure out exactly how I managed to injure that nerve. I got to thinking about what I may have done differently and all I can think of is the fact that I've played guitar a bit more than usual. While I doubt that is the cause I'd be curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience? My posture is not the best when I play since I'm still trying to learn and have the habit of leaning over toward the guitar to see the strings.

Any thoughts? Anyone encounter this before or something similar? I'm just curious to know what you guys think.
Umm, I'm not even sure if that's a serious answer or if you've watched "Kindergarden Cop" recently ("It's a tumor!"). But no, it's not cancer.
Quote by thestonedone
Cancer?

yes, next symptoms are : urethrial ejection of red cells.
also known as cumming blood
this is the pit, what were you expecting
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
Well, it just so happens I HAD Bells Palsy this past May! Very similar experience. Woke up with a numb lip which progressively got worse all day until the entire left half of my face was paralyzed. If you're only a day or so in expect it to progress further before it gets better. Good news, I made a full recovery and would imagine you would too. As for being related to guitar playing, I highly doubt it, though it's possible. I was perplexed as to how I got the disease myself. Usually if you over work yourself, have a cold, and you're exposed to high winds it can add up to cause this to happen. The high wind thing plays along much like an ear infection since your 7th cranial nerve (facial nerve the one effected in Bells Palsy) is so close to your cochlear never, (8th cranial, your auditory nerve). An infection could start on one cranial nerve and progress to the next, this is what happened with mine.

Anywho, I'd say get lots of rest, use the steroids they more than likely prescribed you and wait it out. It took almost a month for mine to completely go away so expect to wait some time. Good luck man!
Thanks for the response Music. That's pretty much all I was wondering. I've taken the meds and have already started to 'feel' a little better. The Dr. checked my ear but said he didn't see anything in there that would indicate an infection but I'm not going to rule that out as potentially the cause. Like I said, I was just curious if someone thought the guitar playing might have had an impact but I agree with you in that it is most likely not related. Thanks again.
just grab yourself a can of porksoda, you'll be feelin just fiiiine