Is it worth buying a PC which has a line-in port over a mic in?

i have a laptop with mic in and speaker out, is it valuable to get a line in instead of mic in?

wil it differ a lot in quality?

thanks
yes mic in has is louder but more distortion . line in is low volume but better conserved signal.

mic in good for mic,batery,acoustic guitar , anything electrical like elec guitar elec acoustic.etc . its better to use line in. also i have 3 laptop all of them have both and also sesktop sound cards always have them.
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard
Limited edition Schecter omen 7
Custom RR V with emgs 81/85,24 frets and floyd.

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
get a decent sound blaster make sure it aint 5:1 get it 2:1 and most sound cards come with 3 jacks mic ,line in , line out
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
yes but if youre going to be recording electric guitars u need Something like this

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrigsession

and its usb . cuz is you hook up youre guitar stright to the pc it aint going to sound nice at all
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
Quote by Bingt
Is it worth buying a PC which has a line-in port over a mic in?

i have a laptop with mic in and speaker out, is it valuable to get a line in instead of mic in?

wil it differ a lot in quality?

thanks

If you're going with an electric guitar, it may be best to get an interface or Lightsnake, which is essentially an external sound card, which makes your line-in/mike-in concerns unnecessary. What's the budget, and are you planning on doing live stuff?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
thats what im saying
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
But what you're also saying is to get a Soundblaster for recording. You obviously don't know your onions.
There is poetry in despair.
are you an idiot soundblaster includes a widerange of sound cards so when i say decent soundblaster innm not talking about the economy models.

there are some that have rca imput even include midi imput so . think before u say anything
LTD H-101
Ibanez RGT42DX with emgs
Gibson SG standard

Peavey 6505+
and a roland cube 20x :
No, I'm not an idiot.

Soundblaster has a wide range, but their range isn't geared for recording, and I doubt you'd find many people recommend their cards over other PCI offerings, such as those from M-Audio and Emu. They are primarily for playback, and are good for gaming and movies etc. That's a whole different world from recording.

Maybe you should think before you say anything.
There is poetry in despair.
I Think that micing an amplifier or instrument is always the best way to go...with the right mic and good hardware in your signal path it will sound much better than any job you can do with line in...the only line in i think is even worth doing is with bass...most good bass amps have xlr outs that give nice sound if you eq the signal correctly
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Fernandes Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Flextone 2 with Eminence Red Coat The Wizard Speaker
Roland Cube 15 (Practice Amp)
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Overdrive Box (From Ts-808 Schematic)
Hand Built Preamp Box
Even then Heaven, it's worth getting a quality sound card/interface so that less gets missed in muffed messiness in the analog/digital conversion.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101