Ok so a couple days ago I told this girl half jokingly that I would write her a song. She told me that she'd really like that so I decided to actually do it. Now that we have the backstory here comes the advice. I want to write it on acoustic, but I havent learned much about theory yet so I dont know what chords I am able to switch between and make it sound good. Anyone who can give me advice on this, I would appreciate it!

Jordan
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_progressions.php
That sites really nice when trying to think of a chord progression. Just pick a key and it basically tells you all the chords in that key and different voicings for each.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Ktool The Girth
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_progressions.php
That sites really nice when trying to think of a chord progression. Just pick a key and it basically tells you all the chords in that key and different voicings for each.

Thanks but what exactly do the roman numerals and that stuff mean?

*noob music question*
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
the roman numerals are the.... i call them inversions but truly its just the next chord in the progression...
~Defiant~
Quote by Aurex
the roman numerals are the.... i call them inversions but truly its just the next chord in the progression...

so do these correspond to specific chords and how will I know which ones?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
I've never really tried to explain this to anyone, but I have a decently strong grasp of music theory, so I will explain it as I know it. The Roman Numerals represent the scale degrees of the progression. Any major progression has 7 notes in it. I ii iii IV V vi vii(diminished). Basically they represent which notes sound good together. In the key of C (it's the easiest to start in because it has no sharps or flats, which are called accidentals), the progression is: C d e F G a b (C). Each Roman Numeral corresponds to a different note in its key. Like the I is C and the V is G. Uppercase Roman Numerals and Notes means Major chord and lowercase means minor chord. The strongest chords of any progression are the I, IV, and V chords because they're all major. So if you were to play C, F, and G (the I, IV, and V chords, respectively), then they'd all sound good. Take Let it Be by the Beatles, for example. The chords for it are C, G, Am, and F. These intervals are I, V, vi, and IV. Because all of those chords are in the key of C, they sound good in a progression. If I didn't explain it very well, I apologize. Just tell me and I'll try and tackle it from a different perspective.
Quote by Milo.
I've never really tried to explain this to anyone, but I have a decently strong grasp of music theory, so I will explain it as I know it. The Roman Numerals represent the scale degrees of the progression. Any major progression has 7 notes in it. I ii iii IV V vi vii(diminished). Basically they represent which notes sound good together. In the key of C (it's the easiest to start in because it has no sharps or flats, which are called accidentals), the progression is: C d e F G a b (C). Each Roman Numeral corresponds to a different note in its key. Like the I is C and the V is G. Uppercase Roman Numerals and Notes means Major chord and lowercase means minor chord. The strongest chords of any progression are the I, IV, and V chords because they're all major. So if you were to play C, F, and G (the I, IV, and V chords, respectively), then they'd all sound good. Take Let it Be by the Beatles, for example. The chords for it are C, G, Am, and F. These intervals are I, V, vi, and IV. Because all of those chords are in the key of C, they sound good in a progression. If I didn't explain it very well, I apologize. Just tell me and I'll try and tackle it from a different perspective.

Im workin on trying to understand that lol gimme a little while
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Haha, it's thick material, I know. That's why there are AP Classes and college majors for this stuff.
Quote by Milo.
Haha, it's thick material, I know. That's why there are AP Classes and college majors for this stuff.

Yeah it sounds good, thanks for the help, I think ive come up with a couple different rythms to use I just need the chords, probably major as I would like it to not sound depressing for her ha
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Minor chords doesn't neccesarily mean depressing. They can build dissonance and anticipation. I like to do ii - iii - I as a fill sometimes, as an example.
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
Minor chords doesn't neccesarily mean depressing. They can build dissonance and anticipation. I like to do ii - iii - I as a fill sometimes, as an example.

Your right It came out as like a ballad type thing for me so far
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
just play some major chords mixed in with some minor chords, suck as A, D, Em, G, songs like that.
Quote by markomite
just play some major chords mixed in with some minor chords, suck as A, D, Em, G, songs like that.

Yeah the rhythm came to me last night in my dream, I just need to figure out the chords to go with it, then comes the task that is gonna be the most difficult, writing the lyrics for the song.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about it. She'll find it special no matter what. It's tough stuff.