Right, I play 80's metal, Randy Rhoads - EVH kinda thing and fancy buying a new amp. At the moment I have a Line 6 Spider II and have actually messed around with it a bit and now it sounds pretty damn 80's, but I need something bigger, something with valves as this should gimme more headroom and a wider dynamic range.

So far I've played Engls, Marshalls and Peaveys but I'm willing to try and buy ANYTHING as long as it's good and hopefully not super expensive.

What do you think I should try?
Try the Peavey 5150 III Head & Cab?
- LTD Eclipse 1000 w/SD's
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky transparent red w/SD's
- Marshall MG 50 DFX

ENGL fund €120/€1941.5
Marshall JCM800
Orange Rockers
Fender 5150 III
Mesa Mark IV

Not sure on your price range as 'super expensive' is relative
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
What Yngwi3 said would be your best bets....but just answer any of the blue questions in my sig that you havent answer yet, and we will be able to probably get you set.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I with Yngwi3 on this one, although I prefer the Orange AD series to the Rockers.

What is your budget exactly?

EDIT: And how the hell do you mod a Spider?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Try some krank
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Marshall MG

Haha, I know...not funny, right?

Yngwi3 basically nailed it. Also consider a Peavey Windsor if you're on a lower budget than the amps he listed.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Right, well my budget is about £800 for both head and cab, but I'm willing to go 2nd hand or whatever. If there's something above this price range just mention how much it costs new and if I like it enough I'll just put more paychecks into this amp fund and work towards hitting a higher amount.

Here are the answers to the blue questions.

My current gear is a Les Paul Standard but by the time I'll buy a new amp my Strat will be ready and I'll be using that. Each of them has Alnico humbuckers, the Alnico Pro II by Seymour Duncan to be pricise. I also use a Boss DS-1 at the moment, but that's only to get a better sound out of the Spider, if a certain amp has a good enough stock distortion sound then I'm happy to use that. Oh yeah, and I use the bridge pickup far more.

I pretty much never ever play clean so you shouldn't worry about that. On the rare occasion that I do play clean, I'm totally cool with the amp still breaking up a little bit for that raw sound, so don't worry about the clean sound much. Anyway, I like my sound having a lot of mid-range.

Examples:
Limelight by Rush (the intro tone)
Number of the Beast by Maiden
Panama by Van Halen (a little higher output than the others but same kinda thing).

I live in England so it must be available there, most stuff is really.

No, I'm not really searching for a particular artists tone, a good template to work on would be any of those three examples I gave if you want to do it that way.
I'd say go with an Orange or a Marshall then. You'll get a better deal since you live where they're made. Maybe consider an ENGL or Laney too.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
used marshall JCM800. very 80's sound. i dont know how much it is in euros and i dont feel like looking it up, but look used for one
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
I'd say go with an Orange or a Marshall then. You'll get a better deal since you live where they're made. Maybe consider an ENGL or Laney too.

Yeah, Marshall's are cheaper here than over the pond, I'll make an effort to try all the ones that Yngwi3 mentioned as he seems to be getting good responses, as well as the youtube demos of those amps being pretty damn good.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
used marshall JCM800. very 80's sound. i dont know how much it is in euros and i dont feel like looking it up, but look used for one

Yeah, from what I've heard it is pretty 80's. A lot of my heroes use it as well. (Here in England we use Pounds and Pence, not Euros.)