I'm trying to decide what pickups to go with.

I'm currently playing a Fernandes Vertigo that has 2 EMG-HZ passive pickups-I want to upgrade and I'm trying to decide what to use.

I've been looking at the 81/85 set and I've also looked at possibly getting an 81/60.

Not sure which one would sound better with the type of music I'm playing- rhythm guitarist for a hardcore band.

Suggestions? Comments?
60 gets better cleans than the 85, so i've heard
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
60, 81, 85 are all active.
to do that you will have to change your wiring and and get a power source installed
Quote by metalhead987
60, 81, 85 are all active.
to do that you will have to change your wiring and and get a power source installed

emg active come with all electronics. you will love the 81/85
Wow. You're the only person I've ever met who recognises the tonal shortcomings of EMG-HZs without presuming it's "just him" because they're ****ing Br00t4lZ EMGs.

Yeah. The 60 is a more polite sounding one. The 81/85 is the best known combo and is the one that your favourite metal bands probably use, but they sacrifice clean tone and sounds a bit lifeless down the low end.
i have a hz in my peavey and it is ok. try staying away from actives in a guitar routed for passives. try some different pickup websites and listen to the sound clips.
Ok-so does the 81/85 come with all the electronics necessary for switching from passive to active?
you can buy the whole kit. but. you will need to route your pickup cavities, more wires, and a battery compartment. hope you like woodworking.
Quote by jymellis
you can buy the whole kit. but. you will need to route your pickup cavities, more wires, and a battery compartment. hope you like woodworking.

It'll fit in most guitars; there's not actually that much woodworking neccesary. Depends on the size of your control cavity, but in general it's fine.
My jackson actually has room for everything plus 3 batteries, I use the 81, and SA single coil on the neck for cleans. It is a super simple install, only 2 solderings involved for me. they make an 81W i think that has a push pull to control the humbucker for single coil option.
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by jymellis

I installed EMG active pickups on my Les Paul, a friends Jackson V, and another friends SG. Everything fit easily with room to spare.
Either way you can find someone to do it for you, hardly a problem nowadays.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
I highly doubt you'd have to route out the wood to make the pickups fit
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by jymellis

EMG's are standard size humbuckers and won't require any routing at all. The battery will fit in the control cavity so there will be no routing or woodworking of any kind involved in installing EMG's in that guitar. The only extra wires are for the battery and there's already plenty of room for them too.
i prefer the 81 60 set but im gonna recommend some high gian pickups like barenuckles
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube