In September next year I shall find myself uprooted from my home with enough room to swing several cats and thrown into the confines of a student dorm room. I need to know what is sensible to take with me in terms of musical equipment (I don't have too much, but it's not all conveniently shaped or sized!)

I currently play an ESP EX-50 routed through a Digitech Death Metal and a Korg AX5G multi-effects pedal. ATM I'm using a Peavey Blazer 158 as a practice amp as well.

I'm not worried about the pedals and such as they fit in the back of the amp for convenient storage, but my guitar lives in a hard case. Bearing in mind that the case is 4 feet (1.22 metres) long and soft cases don't exist for the EX body, am I going to find this to be too big for what little space I have?

A wall hanger would be nice, but I doubt it's allowed in uni halls

As far as other solutions go, I have thought about getting a smaller scale guitar to take with me such as the Ibanez GRG Mikro. Can anybody speak from experience, either from the point of taking my existing guitar with me or buying a smaller scale guitar? Bear in mind I'm a student with little budget to spare on this (£150-ish)!

Thanks.
Take some headphones that will fit in the amp, you dont wanna piss everyone off
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
I was only able to take a small practice amp a guitar stand and my guitar. I really don't have room for much more either.

EDIT: My guitar is full scale also.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by nebno6
Take some headphones that will fit in the amp, you dont wanna piss everyone off

.what if hes good?
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by pak1351
case goes under your bed

This
and as long as you dont have too much crap there should be ample space, ive got about 3 amps in my room
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Well it takes up a fair bit of room in my closet, but I have three guitars stored in their cases in my dorm room as we speak. So in short, no, you should be fine with one guitar.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
In my dorm room I had an electric, an acoustic, an amp. My roomate had a bass amp, a bass and two upright basses. In our dorm room....
Yeah, there's plenty of room. I think at one point last semester (When I had a double, not a quad) I hit a max of about 6 guitars and a ukulele, as well as my VK112, Fender Champ, AND I had a 112 bass combo in there as well. One guitar and my bass were in hardshells, then there was a hummingbird in a soft case, a 3/4 acoustic in a soft case, my Airline in a soft case, and the uke just kinda sat on top of that. Oh, I can't forget my pedalboard where my drunk room mate would always stab his foot on the corner of my big muff pi! Trust me, you'll have enough room for your stuff. I know a guy who had an orange half stack under his bed as well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by chimpinatux
This
and as long as you dont have too much crap there should be ample space, ive got about 3 amps in my room

how can you have ABOUT three amps iin your room? its either....three....or two...or four... not hmmm maybe 2.77 amps
Awesome, quick responses guys!

Any advice on headphones? I've got a pair of wireless Sennheiser HDR-120's ATM but they only have one input and I'm likely to use a pair with my laptop as well. I had a pair of Sony something-or-others but didn't like them (even though they had twin inputs, the quality was crap!) Thanks!
sorry i missed the point of the3 thread...in my room i have my jackson rr3...my jcm900 combo (on my desk) and a marshall jmp1 (bought yesterday) in a flight case..my room is 3.5x4 in meters...so yeah you can figure it.
I'd just bring what you want and make it work...Just use an appropriate sized practice amp...There is always a way to make things fit. You'll see.
Quote by deadparrot
Awesome, quick responses guys!

Any advice on headphones? I've got a pair of wireless Sennheiser HDR-120's ATM but they only have one input and I'm likely to use a pair with my laptop as well. I had a pair of Sony something-or-others but didn't like them (even though they had twin inputs, the quality was crap!) Thanks!

Some nice Bose Over head noise-canceling headphones. If you have the money. ($100+USD)
Weekend Warrior
My advice would be to bring just a practice amp and a guitar to begin with. When you get there, assess the situation (taking security into account - get contents insurance!) and decide what's best.

Make sure there is a clear staggering path from your door to your bed too, or guitars will get dented.
I have a single room so I have my 2 strats, my amp, and my pedal. I also have my friends strat and his pedal and amp in my room. Much room to spare too, when I get my Classic 30 it's coming down here and the Frontman is staying at home.

I have headphones for my amp but I never use them, I don't give a crap what other people in my suite think, most of them compliment me on my playing anyway. There's only 4 rooms in my hall though, 2 dou bles and 2 singles, and me and a friend I graduated high school with have the 2 singles.
Last edited by chip46 at Nov 24, 2008,
Space wise, you should be fine. But you really should take into consideration security. Student housing/accomodation are a target for many thieves, so be carefull what you leave on show, and I would reccomend taking expensive/unreplaceable gear.
I've never understood the whole theft thing in dorms. How are they going to break into a room without the key? Maybe its just the dorms here where I go but our locks are practically bulletproof and the doors are 2 inches thick. Not to mention most people are smart enough to not to just go barging up into someone's room. I could understand a house where you would be able to tell if someone is there or not, but you never know if someone is in a dorm room or not.
*end rant*
^ Yeah, not so much in dorms. Though, that's not to say it doesn't happen. Our windows in our dorm rooms were particularly a weak point in terms of security. Wouldn't be practical to lug a huge combo out of a second story window though
Quote by eurotrashed
In my dorm room I had an electric, an acoustic, an amp. My roomate had a bass amp, a bass and two upright basses. In our dorm room....

sounds like a badass room
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
My room is 6' x 12' ft. I have 5 guitars and three amps.

You can make it work.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Mathamology
^ Yeah, not so much in dorms. Though, that's not to say it doesn't happen. Our windows in our dorm rooms were particularly a weak point in terms of security. Wouldn't be practical to lug a huge combo out of a second story window though

Lol I can just picture it now