So, I always dreamt of being in a punk/pop-punk band. I have finally gotten some songs and stuff together, and even possible band members after about a year of searching and then when i decided to check my local scene i was very pissed off ... every band except the few metal bands are all pop-punk/punk/ska ...

so, what do i do? i hate doing what everyone else is doing so i am not sure whether to carry on following my dream or just choose a differant genre like grunge or something.

(by the way, dont say dont pick a genre just do what comes because i feel if a band sticks to one or two genres their music tends to be more together)
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
visit the land of teh BRUTALLZZ METALZZXXZ

noone can destroy the metal..
dudd

the metal will strike you down with a visious blow...
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by Sad But False
visit the land of teh BRUTALLZZ METALZZXXZ

noone can destroy the metal..
dudd

the metal will strike you down with a visious blow...

haha, tenacious d... i despise metal XD i used to be a massive metalhead, i used to listen to metal all day long, but then one morning i woke up hating everything to slightly do with metal except metallica ... then i really got into punk and stuff like that
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
haha, tenacious d... i despise metal XD i used to be a massive metalhead, i used to listen to metal all day long, but then one morning i woke up hating everything to slightly do with metal except metallica ... then i really got into punk and stuff like that

Same thing for me, except vice versa, listened to punk, one day started hating it, only "pop rock/punk" i still listen to is Green Day, and thats because ive listened to them for 6 er 7 years
Poop.

Yes, poop.
You should do what YOU want to do, not what a thread on UG tells you to. What genre do YOU want? That's the right one for you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
who cares what dictates the local scene

play the music because you dig it

stay posi
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
yeah, im gonna do punk and be better than all of em :P
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
I really suggest not playing a genre you dislike just to seem different. I think as long as you have a somewhat unique sound you can be whatever genre you want. I'm sure not every punk band in your are sounds exactly the same. Just jam with your friends a couple times and see what happens.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Same thing for me, except vice versa, listened to punk, one day started hating it, only "pop rock/punk" i still listen to is Green Day, and thats because ive listened to them for 6 er 7 years

see i usta listen to "gangsta music" then i heard some green day and fell in love then it just progressively got heavier... so i listen to metal and all that stuff but i still love me some Green Day
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
I think you should be happy. Now you'll have like-minded bands to hang out and play with.
Quote by sargasm
I think you should be happy. Now you'll have like-minded bands to hang out and play with.

Definitely, having a local scene with bands who play the same kind of stuff than you is always good. I mean don't be exactly the same, but why would you want to be the only punk band in a scene full of metal or metalcore?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Nov 24, 2008,
Yeah I don't understand this thread at all. You should be happy you have a strong scene with active participants. Besides, punk is such a varied genre, that I really doubt every last band in your scene sounds the same and that you will too.

Seriously, I just don't fucking understand this thread.
DOWN&OUT
Stupidest ****ing thread ever.

You like Metallica, A7X and Bullet For My Valentine...you clearly still like metal.

Why the **** would you even think about playing grunge if you don't wanna play metal? Grunge is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath and all the other good metal bands.

I wish my scene had less metal/deathcore bands and more punk bands...the more bands that fit in your genre = more bands for you to play with.

Stop trying to be different, and just do what you want. Being different just cause you want to not do what everyone else is, is just as stupid as following everyone to fit in.
This thread is pretty silly, you have a decent scene near you and your complaining, what a willy.