1. I'm torn between these two pedal boards
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-SKBPS55-Stagefive-Professional-Pedal-Management-System?sku=542022
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-PS45-Professional-Pedalboard?sku=544735
There was also a Furman one I was looking at but it less useful

2. What exactly is a sonic maximizer and what does it do? Is it something I should get for a touring band?

3. I'm either going to get the Decimater rack unit or the G-string pedal. I'm leaning towards the pedal b/c I already have a Boss NS-2 that I planned on putting in the efx loop to cut down on the hum (which isn't too bad, but just for sound quality purposes) and using the ISP pedal inbetween my guitar and amp. That being said would there really be any advantages to the rack unit?
In response to question #3.

The G-String is actually designed specifically to sit in the effects loop. You run the guitar signal through it before the amp for use as a reference for when it actually affects the signal in the effects loop. Using the NS-2 right before the first stage of the G-String will actually give you a lot of the same functions as the Decimator ProRackG, but without the filter functions.

One thing to look at is that the ProRackG (should you decide to go that way) is designed to work with a switching unit, as there's no easy way for a guitarist to bypass it while playing. It's way more powerful than the pedal versions and has a low pass filter built in, but lacks the "plug in and go" functionality of the pedals.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^ Ok well it seems like the pro rack G may be a little over kill. The actual amp noise is nominal and most of the time impossible to hear b/c I play metal and there's rarely a time where the slight hum can be heard b/c I'm usually playing something constantly with no breaks for the hum to show its face. I'm more worried about feedback from the guitar to the amp. That was a big problem with my old band b/c we had a small practice space and I never was able to play far enough from my amp to cut the feedback. I don't think that will be a problem now, but I just want to make sure that there is not going to be any feedback on stage.

EDIT: on that note would the G-even be necessary. The Boss in the loop and the regular decimater in between the guitar and amp should do the job shouldn't it?
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by zhunt1130
EDIT: on that note would the G-even be necessary. The Boss in the loop and the regular decimater in between the guitar and amp should do the job shouldn't it?

[smacks forehead]

DON'T put the boss in the loop. Buy the G-String and put it in the loop. The signal tracking capabilities allow it to better reduce noise if it's in the loop. It's a 2 stage system, you run the guitar signal through it before the amp AND in the loop, but it doesn't do anything to the signal in front of the amp, it uses it as a reference to better isolate the guitar signal from the amp noise when it's in the loop. Put the Boss in front of the first stage of the G-String and you'll have quite the setup.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Ahh ok I get it...i'll put the G-string on my list then.

Anybody have any input on the other questions?
In response to question 1 i would suggest not getting either of those. i would suggest you look at trailer trash boards their just better quality. and in response to question 2 the sonic maximizer is a pedal that is supposed to make your guitar sound more clear and shiny but iv heard so many different people say it does other things I'm kinda confused also.
my stuff
<><><><>
roland cube<---(anyone wanna buy it?)
b.c. rich mockingbird masterpiece<-----(is gunna get new electronics soon)
mxr 10-band EQ
crybaby 535Q wah <---(its awsome)