ok, so I want to get recording gear for Christmas this year. My parents are giving me $400 for EVERYTHING, including small gifts, so that means $300-350 on the main thing (which in this case would be all the recording gear).

So, would be the best possible recording setup possible under $300-350? I mean mics, interface, programs, everything.

Thanks for any helpful replies!!

P.S. and, an unrelated question, can a mixer be used as an audio interface? or would you need to hook up the mixer to an audio interface?
Last edited by guitardude34875 at Nov 24, 2008,
A mixer is a mixer
an interface is an interface
You can run a mixer into an interface but it is mostly pointless...
You can't run a mixer as an interface

I suggest a PreSonus Inspire 1394, or an EMU 0404 interface. Both run at $200

The Shure SM57 mic is great for general use but if you have an acoustic guitar the MXL 990/991 set is a good choice for a little less money.

For a sequencer go for a low budget version of Sonar, Cubase, or simply go with Reaper. All are great choices although Sonar and Cubase are a little better for the higher price.
I dont want to hijack but im sorta in the same position, i dont wanna spend too much and am sorta clueless on recording.

So basically I could do this:
SM57 infront of my Mesa, run the cable to the interface(prosonus or EMU) and then just plug that into my computer and DL cubase(would audacity work to a lesser extent)? And that is it?
thats a fair setup A-5, yes audacity or any sequencer will work just fine.
Reading my post in this exact thread would have answered your question.

Spend a lot of time reading and researching before posting. You will be amazed on how much is already answered here. 90% of the time you can find your answer though a search.
Quote by moody07747
thats a fair setup A-5, yes audacity or any sequencer will work just fine.
Reading my post in this exact thread would have answered your question.

Spend a lot of time reading and researching before posting. You will be amazed on how much is already answered here. 90% of the time you can find your answer though a search.

I know, thats exactly where I got the info from, your post. I do research a lot but figured when I saw someone asking the same thing as me Id just piggyback. I was just clarifying to make sure I was correct.
I just recently got a TASCAM GT-R1 digital guitar/bass recorder, it cost me 375.00, but there is one that's a step down from that for 299.00, here's the link

http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-1.html

The one I got is a great product, I haven't figured out all the bell's and whistle's to it yet, but from what I've done with it, it's great and I love it.

I would suggest spending the little extra and get the GT-R1, it will allow you to record both guitar and bass.

Gibson SG Classic
Laguna LE 422
Dean Razorback
Washburn LK60PS
Fender Bass
Ibanez Acoustoc/Electric
Marshall MG 15HFX Microstack
Line 6 Spider III Amp

Remeber...... Every where you go, there you are!
Iv'e gotta agree with moody on that one.

I'm gotta ask..majorpain, are you a tascam sales rep? :P:
Quote by willieturnip
Iv'e gotta agree with moody on that one.

I'm gotta ask..majorpain, are you a tascam sales rep? :P:

No, no sales rep, I just like it, and it's not limiting to me, it does what I want.

But you know I didn't expect people to agree with me, this site is filled with those who like to critisize what people buy.

You guys want to put it down and say it's "limiting"... Back it up with some facts. What do you and Moody find limiting about the Tascam?

Do you own one? Let hear from the experts

Gibson SG Classic
Laguna LE 422
Dean Razorback
Washburn LK60PS
Fender Bass
Ibanez Acoustoc/Electric
Marshall MG 15HFX Microstack
Line 6 Spider III Amp

Remeber...... Every where you go, there you are!
Ketchup covered that question.

I'm not saying it's bad. Far from it!

They're fantastic at what they do.

But what they do isn't what guitardude is looking for..
Checkout the line6 gear,

http://line6.com/products/computerbased/

Reaper DAW,

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

There's a cheap SM58 clone mic by Behringer,

Ultravoice XM 8500.

http://new-vista-sales.amazonwebstore.com/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone/M/B0002KZAKS.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle-GB&id=uk

I use Gearbox(now PodFarm) software included with my Line6 Toneport for Guitar/Bass and Vocals.See sig for recordings using mainly the above.

HTH