Poll: Are we overreacting to the threat of islamic terrorists?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are we overreacting to the threat of islamic terrorists?
Yes, there is hardly any threat from terrorists
30 20%
Yes, but there is a threat
69 45%
No, the terrorists are a definite threat
25 16%
HOLY **** A MUSLIM!
28 18%
Voters: 152.
Page 1 of 3
I've been thinking lately, theres been alot of terrorism in the world before the recent attacks by radical muslims. However the world has never before gone so overboard in its need to investigate the public and suspect everyone.

In Britain we had much more regular attacks by the I.R.A., yet we never had the same type of anti-terror legislation as we do now. The question is why?

Pit, discuss.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
9/11

As I watched the news coverage during the day (I was in London at work) I knew this would end up signifying a major change somewhere, even if I wasn't sure where or what. I half expected use of nuclear weapons at some point, but I suppose screwing as all into using identy cards and invading our privacy works even better.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
How often do you see an appropriate, intelligent reaction to a threat?

Not often at all, I'd imagine.
Because the labour party want to amass huge databases of information about you. And detain you for 42 days without trial.
Statically speaking you have a higher chance of being killed by a shark or lightning than by terrorists.

It seems every generation theres some new thing to fear by the american people.

Vietnam, Drugs, Aids, Terrorism
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by Zombee
Wasn't the Vietnam War kinda like an attempt against terrorists?

It was more of a money thing, as you'll see most American "conflicts" are really about.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
It was more of a money thing, as you'll see most American "conflicts" are really about.

Eh. Most conflicts of any kind are about property of some kind.
Quote by Greenie_777
It's because it happened in America.

Not only in America. There have numerous attacks around the World including one in your own country.

Quote by kaosfire
Statically speaking you have a higher chance of being killed by a shark or lightning than by terrorists.

It seems every generation theres some new thing to fear by the american people.

Vietnam, Drugs, Aids, Terrorism

You're an idiot.
Im personally believe everyone has gone overboard. I can see why 9/11 shook the U.S. so badly, but at least in Britain, weve had to deal with much more severe terrorist threats in the past. Just compare, weve had sofar in Britain the London Bombings. But compare that to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army_actions
Quote by Rockstar12345
Quote by Nacho_Novo
Not only in America. There have numerous attacks around the World including one in your own country.

Yes the point i was making is that the only one you hear about is 9/11 and that is why it is over exagerated because America seem to have a talent of over dramatising anything and everything.
Islamic terrorism is much more widespread throughout the world than the IRA was. We can't forget that there are also millions of fundementalist Muslims in the world who take the Koran literally. I don't think we've overreacted to it; I just think we've handled it incorrectly.
Quote by Nacho_Novo

You're an idiot.

Care to explain in a manner not expressed commonly by 12 year olds?
Quote by Primus2112

Last edited by kaosfire at Nov 24, 2008,
I think they are a threat, but I also think that anything that would compromise the very principles that freedom is based on in order to protect us from them is much worse. We don't live in a perfect world; there will always be people trying to hurt others. It's not gonna stop.

Is the whole reaction to terrorism a veil over ulterior motives to gain greater control over the masses? Dunno. I wouldn't put it past the man, though. If you ask me the barbaric exploitation of people that we look into the past at with disgust is still alive and well. They've only gotten smarter.
We're only strays.
Quote by kaosfire
Care to explain in a manor not expressed commonly by 12 year olds?

Your manor or mine?
Quote by MightyAl
Your manor or mine?

Yours is much nicer, goddamn ipod auto correct =[
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by kaosfire

I think every conflict is based on an argument over possesions/money/land - sometimes with religion used as a rather thin disguise.

As my Grandmother says, Money is the root of all evil
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by Spamwise
Islamic terrorism is much more widespread throughout the world than the IRA was. We can't forget that there are also millions of fundementalist Muslims in the world who take the Koran literally. I don't think we've overreacted to it; I just think we've handled it incorrectly.

I understand this, but why in Britain, were weve had to deal with severe terrorism in the past do we suddenly introduce aggresive legislation when there is less of a threat to the people. We didnt have CCTV, ID Cards, etc. then, so why now?

Also lets not make this into a Muslims preach violence. Islam is no more violent then Christianity (Old Testament). Please keep religion out of the thread.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Quote by cuthbertg
I think every conflict is based on an argument over possesions/money/land - sometimes with religion used as a rather thin disguise.

As my Grandmother says, Money is the root of all evil

Not to be a smartass, but it's "the love of money is the root of all evil." It's a biblical quote, I believe

I understand this, but why in Britain, were weve had to deal with severe terrorism in the past do we suddenly introduce aggresive legislation when there is less of a threat to the people. We didnt have CCTV, ID Cards, etc. then, so why now?

Also lets not make this into a Muslims preach violence. Islam is no more violent then Christianity (Old Testament). Please keep religion out of the thread.

Like I said, we've handled it wrong.

The Koran does preach violence against non-believers, as done the bible.
Quote by kaosfire
Care to explain in a manor not expressed commonly by 12 year olds?

How can you say that Aids, terrorism and drug abuse were only things to fear and not serious problems?
Quote by MightyAl
Your manor or mine?
*pic*

Wow. I normally don't laugh at things like this but... ****in LOL. Well done.
Quote by Nacho_Novo
How can you say that Aids, terrorism and drug abuse were only things to fear and not serious problems?

Who the hell said that??

I was trying to get the point across that we as a country have a high tendancy to live in fear.
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by Mechanixx

In many ways I would consider Islam to be more violent than Christianity. The average Muslim maybe not?
Quote by kaosfire
Who the hell said that??

I was trying to get the point across that we as a country have a high tendancy to live in fear.

Perhaps rightly so in the case of Aids and drugs.
Quote by Nacho_Novo
Perhaps rightly so in the case of Aids and drugs.

What's wrong with drugs?
Quote by Nacho_Novo
In many ways I would consider Islam to be more violent than Christianity. The average Muslim maybe not?

All semitic Relgions preech similar amounts of violence. But thats neither here nor there to this thread.

The question is, why are we introducing these safety measures now, when, at least in Britain, weve been dealing with the same, or worse, for years.

EDIT: On topic please guys.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Last edited by Mechanixx at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by Greenie_777
What's wrong with drugs?

I would say that the influence of hard drugs on society is something to be feared and controlled.
Quote by Greenie_777
What's wrong with drugs?

nothing, some people just like to regulate everyone elses lives.

Edit: waits for someone to tell me I advocate selling heroin to school kids.

I think after becoming an adult, the government shouldnt be allowed to tell you what to do with your body as long as it doesnt physically harm anyone else.
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by MightyAl
Because the labour party want to amass huge databases of information about you. And detain you for 42 days without trial.

Fight the power!
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.

All semitic Relgions preech similar amounts of violence. But thats neither here nor there to this thread.

This is an ISLAMIC terrorism thread, of course the Koran is relevant. It's even moreso when millions of Muslims take passages about killing infidels literally.
I think one thing it's definitely done is create an image of Muslims in Britain. Too many people in Britain are generalising more than ever, suspecting every Muslim they meet to be an extremist.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Quote by Spamwise
Not to be a smartass, but it's "the love of money is the root of all evil." It's a biblical quote, I believe

No worries - it makes pefect sense, and kinda prooves a point that my grndmother would take a bible quote and live by half of it.

It's not about religion - don't let that put you off the path. It's about morons using thier blinkered interpretation of a peice of text to justify thier desire to hurt others and take thier stuff.
Quote by Spamwise
This is an ISLAMIC terrorism thread, of course the Koran is relevant. It's even moreso when millions of Muslims take passages about killing infidels literally.

No this thread is about the threat of islamic terrorism and comparison to other terrorist organisations in the past. Not a thread about why islam breeds terrorists.

Sofar nobody has given me a good anwser to the original question.

Why is the world going security mad now, when theyrs been a significant terrorist thread in many countries for decades? (ill admit less so in the U.S., but still Oklahoma bombings etc.)
Quote by Rockstar12345

No this thread is about the threat of islamic terrorism and comparison to other terrorist organisations in the past. Not a thread about why islam breeds terrorists.

Also its Quran.

I don't understand what you're not getting. It is different because millions of people worldwide accept the idea that non-believers should be killed. Thus, it is much more dangerous than any other threat.

Both are acceptable.

Why is the world going security mad now, when theyrs been a significant terrorist thread in many countries for decades? (ill admit less so in the U.S., but still Oklahoma bombings etc.)

Because this isn't a one time thing like the Oklahoma bombing was, and power-hungry politicians jumped at the chance to have more control.
Quote by Nacho_Novo

don't turn this into "islam=violence". I'm sure you know not much about the religion and that's not even the point of this thread - or terrorism.
Terrorism is not about a threat from the average muslim, it's a threat to human beings from other human beings who have twisted their laws to justify their actions. We can never know how much of a threat it is because we can never know the intentions of these people and they're not likely to tell us anytime soon.

Also islamic terrorism =/= islamic. Those people are obviously not muslims as the religion doesn't allow murder. It's just terrorism.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I'm a muslim, and 'm kinda offended by your last option.

HOLY **** A MUSLIM!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Page 1 of 3