Page 1 of 5
I know there is another thread about bands that are overrated. However, it doesn't really mention any bands that are "untalented" or "unoriginal", so someone's gotta do it for them. If you think otherwise, that's okay, you're entitled to your own opinion.

What bands around your school are so popular but yet so bad(your opinion)?

For me it's:

Miley Cyrus
The Jonas Brothers
Demi Lovato
Tokio Hotel
Metrostation

EDIT: Any hip-hop or rap artist.
Last edited by Marc Is Here at Nov 25, 2008,
jonas brothers
jonas brothers
jonas brothers
Quote by freddaahh
I just head-desked so hard I went through the floor and came out in Mongolia.
I think the problem with the list isn't being "Untalented" but that they have only a few songs that are genuinely good. Its not always just the guitarist or the drummer that makes a band. I think they have some good songs, but I see the problem with bands getting their fandom off of what they wear and not their music. My Chemical Romance became that IMO. It was all about their clothes and their attitude (gothapotamus.) I see all these poser kids around wearing MCR sweatshirts and dying their hair black because it makes them "goth." Avril Lavigne also joined that group of "wannabe goth." Doesn't mean she doesn't have some good songs. I for one like "Nobody's Home" by her.
Problem is that people are into their image and not their music. They get popular from one or two songs. Jonas Brothers did have some good songs, but they are popular for their image instead.
nickleback, green day, your list, ANY HIP - HOP ****. If you want to call that a band or artist.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Anonymous9001
I think the problem with the list isn't being "Untalented" but that they have only a few songs that are genuinely good. Its not always just the guitarist or the drummer that makes a band. I think they have some good songs, but I see the problem with bands getting their fandom off of what they wear and not their music. My Chemical Romance became that IMO. It was all about their clothes and their attitude (gothapotamus.) I see all these poser kids around wearing MCR sweatshirts and dying their hair black because it makes them "goth." Avril Lavigne also joined that group of "wannabe goth." Doesn't mean she doesn't have some good songs. I for one like "Nobody's Home" by her.
Problem is that people are into their image and not their music. They get popular from one or two songs. Jonas Brothers did have some good songs, but they are popular for their image instead.

Yeah well, it's pretty much anyone's opinion on what bands suck and what's not. Don't get me wrong, you're making a good point, but this is directed at what bands are overrated but just suck in your opinion.

I'd have to agree though that music today is all about what you wear. I mean honestly, I was talking to a few girls today in between class and they were saying that the Jonas Brothers are so good and everything and I have to wonder, do they just like them for the look? What is so original and so good about their music. In my opinion, they are not a talented band, they are just plain bad. I don't get anything from their songs, they are meaningless and i actually tried getting into them once and just couldn't do it, yet they get so much credit! This is what the thread is directed at.
I think paramore write their own songs.. but I doubt tokio hotel, jonas or miley do. They have professional musicians,writers,producers that do it for them.
paramore has some talent they have some good energetic songs
but i was switching through the channels and i saw the jonas brothers playing and they were so .. lifeless
Quote by element4433
That happened to me once. Then I got in my flying car, flew home and made love to my wife, Scarlett Johansen.

Quote by RobertiusB
I've seen Lil' Wayne do some pretty technical solos tbh.
Jonas Brothers probably dont write or even compose their own songs. I think the "Brothers" are just actors in the end.
I think Paramore actually write their own though...
Paramore write their own songs I believe, I just don't really care for them and I find them to be overrated. it's okay if you like them, you're entitled to your own opinion.

I just can't stand the others though, plain and simple.

Even Tokio Hotel. My cousin is such a huge fan of them and everytime she comes over she always brings her CDs and iPod and I always have to listen to them, she makes me...-.- I tried giving them a chance but they suck! The singer sounds like a fag and they get so much credit. A lot of people like them from where I live, I'd be devastated to go to Europe because I heard they are HUGE there.
Lol... tokio hotel sounding like a fag? You might not want to listen to Coheed & Cambria's singer Claudio Sanchez who sings falsetto. He pretty much changes his voice depending on the character he is portraying.
Quote by Anonymous9001
Lol... tokio hotel sounding like a fag? You might not want to listen to Coheed & Cambria's singer Claudio Sanchez who sings falsetto. He pretty much changes his voice depending on the character he is portraying.

I like Coheed And Cambria...but I have to admit the singer is horrible. LOL
nickelback, saving abel, tokio hotel
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Anonymous9001

He doesn't sing falsetto...that's his actual range, he doesn't go falsetto to reach it.

as for liking it....it's just one of those love/hate sort of things.
paramore isn't crap dude, they are good. but i agree with the others...
Make a joyful noise.

Guild M-30

Peavy Audition 110 amp hey, i'm actually proud of this one.
boss ME-50
www.iamterrified.com
I had to look up Demi Lovato lol, and yeah i agree with you... Except for Paramore!! WTF were you thinking when you posted that, they are incredably talented considering they are only like 20.
lol, i actually like Blink-182's last album. Probably one of my favorite albums actually. And I do like Paramore...
And about the list... I add Green Day. They might have a few good songs, but majority are tasteless and sound the same.
And i really do hate Panic! at the Disco's latest album...
Quote by Anonymous9001
lol, i actually like Blink-182's last album. Probably one of my favorite albums actually. And I do like Paramore...
And about the list... I add Green Day. They might have a few good songs, but majority are tasteless and sound the same.
And i really do hate Panic! at the Disco's latest album...

Alright then guys, I took Paramore off the list. I didn't realize so many people liked their music...sorry. Anyways, I'm keeping the others, whether you like them or not.

Yeah Anonymous, I liked Panic! At The Disco's first album, but their newest album Pretty Odd... is just ****.
Quote by Marc Is Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWKlq6MwkU

Tell me he doesnt have singing talent again.

You may not like his voice, but there is absolutely no way you can say he can't sing.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

For those who don't know who Demi Lovato is, she's a crappy Family Channel(Canadian for Disney Channel) actress who also decided to become a musician...LOL. Big mistake. She's another one of those crappy pop-rock musicians. She is very overrated, especially among preteens. Some of er songs are a bit catchy, but she just sucks, I don't like her.
paramore are just awesome , no doubt about it x and so is Avril , well thats what i think anyways x nickelback suck so much though .... and we have a pop/indie band in england called scouting for girls , they really suck
Uuh.. Tokio Hotel, yeah.. ALMOST every girl in my school like that band.. <.< I mean, come on! They were nominated for Best Act EVER in MTV EMA.. And they got their real breakthrough in -06/07 or something.. Come on, overrated much.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Quote by Marc Is Here
Yeah...I only have a few songs by them on my iPod...sorry.

np, but thats what happens when people only listen to singles

Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

I think that is what gets bands overrated though... people only listening to singles. They hear one song and its "OMG I love MCR" or "I love Green Day" because they have American Idiot and Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I swear, those are the only two songs I can recall they did. You cant like a band for two songs! ...Well I mean you can but its stupid.

I remember I used to like Simple Plan a little until I realized they were serious about every song they made and meant every word of it from the heart...

Speaking of overrated. I know how Good Charleotte was so much like Simple Plan (You dont understand me, cry cry cry) and then they had that new album and I remember showing someone and they were like "Damn, thats pretty good" and I told them it was Good Charleotte.... Funny times... Dance Floor Anthem FTW.
Tokio Hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Britney Spears
Billy Talent
Green Day
Oasis

And all the Rappers.
Quote by guitarmaniac88
nickleback, green day, your list, ANY HIP - HOP ****. If you want to call that a band or artist.

Green Day? Untalented? Get the hell out of here right now.
LOL
Quote by Marc Is Here
Alright then guys, I took Paramore off the list. I didn't realize so many people liked their music...sorry. Anyways, I'm keeping the others, whether you like them or not.

Ever seen that one episode of South Park where Stan's girlfriend breaks up with him, and he becomes a Goth? He then pretends to be going against the grain of society when in reality he is acting in the exact same manner as everyone else in his little gothic clique. That's kinda what you did just there... conformist.

In defense of Green Day:
Green Day is not high on my list of great bands, but Green Day has talent. American Idiot is a good song. Holiday is a good song. Boulevard is a good song. Wake Me Up When September Ends' radio airplay would never seem to end, but it's not that bad of a song. Good Riddance is a good song. Basket Case is a good song. Brain Stew is a good song. Longview is a good song.

The Jonas Brothers might be the worst live performers I've ever seen. They performed at the Cowboys half-time show, and watching it on TV just blew me away.

There was some singing. While the singing was better than what you'll hear from a lot of straight rock bands (not a huge compliment), it was still bad for a pop-rock band. The three performers frequently went out of sync with each other, and were obviously poorly rehearsed. At least one of them (probably all) didn't even know enough to maintain a single distance from the microphone, so the volume kept changing at random intervals.

There was also a bunch of girls screaming from off-stage. It reminded me of the Spice Girls or Hanson. I'm guessing their careers will more closely resemble Hanson. They'll eventually go away for a few years, grow up, and come back with something decent, but still not all that great.

Underneath all that, there might have been some music playing in the background. I don't know. It was hard to hear over everything else. I'm guessing the engineer kept that part quiet because they're not very good musicians.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Popular but untalented:

Kid Rock - I mean come on, has he done anything worth repute?

SAVING ABEL- I'm ashamed to be from the same state as these guys. They are a walking post-grunge cliche. It's like they said "Hey, let's take Hinder, and Nickelback and mix em together and remove all hints of guitar solos!"

The entire pop rock movement fits into this category, actually. It doesn't matter who they are, it's always The [ insert name here]s, which are almost always a bunch of college students who grew their hair out, threw on their parents' 60's and 70's clothes, bought a bunch of vintage gear and started trying to sound like the Beatles or The Who. And Rolling Stone and People magazine have the nerve to call these people creative and original.

The Killers - These guys are an essay on weird, boring music.

I could go on, but I'll stop here.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
prepares flameshield:
i'm gonna disagree with the demi haters in here...man,she can howl. i'm generally a family nazi, but i walked past the computer one day and my lil sis was listening to 'get back' and i was like "holy ****...'
i now proceed to listen to it somewhat regularly.

**** the jonas brothers though.hate them.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Be prepared for a long list of untalented *****:
Tokio Hotel
Jonas Brothers
Panic at the Disco!
Avril Lavigne
Kid Rock
(Anyone affiliated with Disney Channel, actually, which includes, but is not limited to: Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, The High School Musical Franchise, etc.)
Green Day
My Chemical Romance
Most of that popular wanna-be hip-hop or R&B stuff today (Soulja Boy, Chris Brown, Akon, etc.)
Most of the pop stuff today (Leona Lewis, Britney Spears, Rihanna, etc.)
Fall Out Boy
30 Seconds to Mars
Nickelback
The Killers
OneRepublic
Simple Plan
Avenged Sevenfold
Metro Station
Boys Like Girls
Dashboard Confessional
Scouting for Girls
Cute is What we Aim For
Good Charlotte
New Found Glory
Jimmy Eat World
etc.
Quote by Marc Is Here

That was one of the dumbest posts that I have ever seen on UG.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by TheRedCrunch
Be prepared for a long list of untalented *****:
Tokio Hotel
Jonas Brothers
Panic at the Disco!
Avril Lavigne
Kid Rock
(Anyone affiliated with Disney Channel, actually, which includes, but is not limited to: Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, The High School Musical Franchise, etc.)
Green Day
My Chemical Romance
Most of that popular wanna-be hip-hop or R&B stuff today (Soulja Boy, Chris Brown, Akon, etc.)
Most of the pop stuff today (Leona Lewis, Britney Spears, Rihanna, etc.)
Fall Out Boy
30 Seconds to Mars
Nickelback
The Killers
OneRepublic
Simple Plan
Avenged Sevenfold
Metro Station
Boys Like Girls
Dashboard Confessional
Scouting for Girls
Cute is What we Aim For
Good Charlotte
New Found Glory
Jimmy Eat World
etc.

these guys aren't THAT bad.
The bands I hate are the ones that come out with like 1 single and then disappear forever.
Maybe not disappear, but they get famous for 1 single. And that's it. Like Soulja Boy.
And I hate those actors that think they can sing. Some might be able to but it's annoying when they go "I'm such a good actor. ZOMG I'm gonna try sing. OMG I'm so good at singing."

But if you wanna see untalented people go watch Australian/American Idol and all the other ones. People go on thinking they are good and the judges say they're not good and they go cry.
Quote by sk8erk1d1313
jonas brothers
jonas brothers
jonas brothers

+1... I never had much of an opinion until i saw them on the half time show of a football game on Thanksgiving... The kid was playing his guitar at his ****ing knees, just trying to look cool as he was strumming power chords... I was like yelling at the TV, "pick that ****in **** up!" lol...
Page 1 of 5