does anyone have any special tricks or suggestions for keeping a dececent edge on a plane or spokeshave blade for more than a few passes in wenge? as far as wood goes, this s**t is like kryptonite and after only a few cuts I have to sharpen my blades.

just seeing if anyone has any tricks... no flaming, please
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I'd like to hear these too... I've heard wenge is... well... a heartless wench upon the tools of craftsmen...
------

Shwiggity.
my god you have no idea dude. my number 4 I get about 5-8 good passes then bam blunt and cratered to hell. my spokeshave held up pretty well... i got about 15-20 good passes then same effect. It's just relentless. When you cut it, it just has that sound/feel that it doesn't want to go anywhere. It's quite happy staying where it came from lol. The best thing about it, though, is that it's hard as a rock so i'm sure it's stable as all hell once you get through the hell of cutting it

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Well, isn't wenge ridiculously hard? Anyway what are these plane blades made of?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, isn't wenge ridiculously hard? Anyway what are these plane blades made of?
Apparently they should be made of wenge.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
Apparently they should be made of wenge.

Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
a number 4 plane is $300 and a number 5 is $325

wtf are they smoking?

+1 for the lie-nielsen. I have a low angle block plane and it can even plane end-grain. Well worth the $100 I spent on it.

I also put a hock blade in my big plane with an upgraded chip breaker and it will go through anything.

What are you using to sharpen the blade. I use sandpaper up to 1500 or 2000 and then strop it with some compund. I can shave with it after this.
I have japanese water stones but I haven't used them yet. I've just beein sharpening it real quick with a cheapie sharpening stone for the time being. I still need to give my planes a proper tune up... but who the hell has time

you need to buy plane blades from japan-woodworker, they last forever without being sharppened, called Bi-metal blades, the edge is super-high tolerance h ardenned steel, the non-blade part is normal steel (like stanley etc) so that sharpenning will go quicker
The other advantage of a lie-nielsen is that you can use it right out of the box. No need to tune the plane.

For the waterstones, do you periodically flatten them? I sued to use stones but the adavatage of sandpaper is that you can put it on mdf or a piece of glass which is always flat.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
a number 4 plane is $300 and a number 5 is $325

wtf are they smoking?

Meh I have seen a hand plane for $15,000

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Nov 25, 2008,
was it made of Gold???
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I've never found wenge to be that bad. It's the dence oil soaked woods like cocobolo and african blackwood that kill tools. Try working with the angle on your blade. A sharper angle gives you smoother easier cuts but it'll dull and sometimes chip with harder woods. A more blunt angle will last longer before needing shaprpend but it's going to take a bit more elbow grease to push the plane. I like to have a wider angle at the very tip and a "normal" angle for the majority of the blade like this
Attachments:
blade.bmp
Not taking any online orders.