So I've been really intent on building my own guitar, and I'll be getting all my stuff delivered (body, neck, electronics, ect) in about a month....and I'm scared ****less that I'll do it horribly wrong and it will be unplayable...I know a few people that can help me, but for the most part, I'll be on my own....
Is doing this a really bad idea?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

are the body and neck premade? if so, you can't really screw it up unless you put the bridge in the wrong location. but if you're getting a premade body i'm going to assume the holes are there already...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
you're thinking into it too much, it really isn't that tough. Just take it one step at a time and be careful
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Do it anyway, regardless of whether you think it's a bad idea or not. In a worst case scenario where you mess everything up, at least you'll learn what not to do next time. I'm assuming you're young and therefore have plenty of time to screw things up. You'll always make more money if you're worried about that, there will always be other chances to build another guitar if you mess it up. Just take your time and be precise. Go for it and don't look back.
Just reasearch allot and ask tons of questions.
Measure THREE-HUNDRED times, cut once.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Guess that makes sense. I'll start a thread soon as I begin (mid December)

Quote by bogg808

you never answered my question

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
oh, haha, yea, they are, from warmoth.
I've never operated woodworking equipmpent in my life, so I thought I'd start easy and work my way up.

Quote by bogg808

Just go for it man. I thought the same thing after starting my build, but everything is shaping up now. Like it has been said before, take it one step at a time, and always remember "measure twice, cut once".
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

dude, im starting my own guitar soon, and im building it from scratch, so you think your scared about messing it up? im a little scared, only because im afraid of doing the routing wrong or not measuring something right
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
^ reed has a lot more to worry about. warmoths are plug and play. homebrews are cut and pray

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
^ reed has a lot more to worry about. warmoths are plug and play. homebrews are cut and pray

^nice little rhyme. i havent cut anything yet except i cut the piece from the tree my spanish teacher gave me into strips, im doing a mahogany/ash mix (check out the thread 'guitar build from a tree that fell recently")
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
ever figure out a way to dry that thing?

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
ever figure out a way to dry that thing?

apart from time?

no. there is kiln drying, however there is no one around me with a kiln. i did cut the pieces so since they are cut, and in the room where the furnace is (however not near the furnace, but the room is typically warmer than the rest of the house) they can dry a little faster. but there is a place apparantly near me that can telll me the moisture content of the wood, and LP addict told me to get it down to around 12%, so i guess i have to wait
Quote by Øttər
You should be fine... Did you do your research?

Edit: Wait... never operated woodworking equipment? Oh boy.
Hey, I'm ordering pre cut body and neck, I dont need to be able to do woodworking^

Quote by bogg808

is it a screw everything together build or is it one where you have to fix up scale length etc mistakes?

Nah you'll be fine, just make sure that when you screw the neck on that the distance between saddles on the bridge and the 12th fret is exactly the same as the distance between the 12th fret to the nut
Also make sure you line the bridge and pickups perfect or else you'll have strings comeing off the neck and missing the pole pieces etc. But if everythings predrilled you should be fine
yeah, if everything is predrilled you have nothing to worry about, assuming you know what a philips and common head screw driver is. give it a nice finish, be careful there too. have fun. this is easy.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Is it problematic taking the neck from one guitar and putting it on another? The main problem I seem to see is that the neck might be too big/small to fit in the gap carved in the body! Is this something to be wary of?