i'm tryin to find a old thread about bolt on vs neck through. but unfortunately i totally suck with the search bar. any help would be appreciated thanks

p.s. i tryin to find infos on bolt on have more sustain than neck though.
I believe neck through gives more sustain than bolt on. Also, bolt on has not as good upper fret acces as a neck through. But, if your neck breaks, you can easily fix it.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
It's basically opinion. Your going to get 50% bolt on for sustain, 50% neck through for sustain. Try out and see what you like.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
I wouldn't worry to much about it unless you're building something.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by shredforbread33
It's basically opinion. Your going to get 50% bolt on for sustain, 50% neck through for sustain. Try out and see what you like.

this.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
There's no discernible difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have both, and i like the neck through one better. but the concept of bolt on have better sustain makes more sense
some say neck throughs have mor sustain, while others say bolt ons do.
this one guy tried two identical guitars aside from one was bolt on and the other was neck-through, and the bolt on sustained more.
but sustain has more to do with how you play, reverb, maybe a compressor, and sometimes pickups(if you get that fernandes pickup).
body woods can be important at times.
les pauls sustain more than strats.
les pauls have neckthrough, maple top, mahogony body, and a tune o matic(stop tail) bride
while strats have bolt on, alder body, and vintage tremelo.
idk if stop tails sustain longer
i think mahogony is a harder wood than alder, and i think hard woods sustain longer than soft woods.
you really got to experiment.
im not sure wich i like better, with neck throughs im always afraid there going to snap off, and with bolt on i dont no they just dont feel as comfortable for some reason.
Quote by stratdud39
sometimes pickups(if you get that fernandes pickup).

Actually, pickups can have a serious effect on sustain, through string pull. Usually restricted to hotter models though.

Bolt on and Neck-Through, no real difference. Neck through has better hand access, which might win it for you, but bolt on is easier to fix.
And bear in mind, a neck-through is the body glued to the neck, where the neck extends through the body. A set neck is basically the same thing, but with less glue, when you think about it. And if you're fussy, you'll say that glue is bad for the wood resonance. So there you go.
I'm not aware of any empirical evidence on the subject, so it mostly comes down to your opinion and other pros'n'cons.

A neck-thru can be made to have better neck access but some bolt-ons are pretty good in that area as well. If the neck breaks on a bolt-on, you can just bolt another one on. A neck-thru... you can try to glue it back on, have the entire center block replaced, or buy a new one. Of course, if you don't break the neck, there's no real advantage there. Bolt-on tends to be cheaper.

les pauls have neckthrough

Les Pauls have a set-neck. The neck is glued into the body. Neck-thru means the neck and center part of the body are one piece of wood.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
i read somewhere that string-trough bodies will sustain more than guitars with a stoptail (ie Les Pauls). never did the experiment tough.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
I've heard that the sustain is better on a neck-through.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
There is no difference. A few people on this form have done tests to tell, and there are a few out on the internet. Any difference you hear in sustain is going to be only because the guitar was built better.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
There is no absolutes. Depends on the guitar. I have bolts, neck-thru and set necks. I couldn't lump every bolt, set-neck or neck thru into their own category. There is more to it than that. . . at least for me. Some cats can tell you all the technical jargon about what one would be better than the other and what characteristics they "should" have but. . . when I play a guitar I can tell it's right for me. I don't know what it is and I don't care really. I've read a lot of crap. . . but playing a specific guitar is worth more than any fine print. A guitar is a sum of all it's parts. . . if and when you break that down to individual parts and try to make definitive judgements about which parts are responsible for certain attributes you are missing something. . . and probable bull****ting yourself.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
'06 Fender Strat MIM w/Carvin AP11's
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone LTD ED. SG w/EMG 81/85
Schecter Damien FR
'08 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
'04 Carvin CT4M
'91 Jackson Professional Stealth Pro

i basically enjoy my xiphos through neck better than most other guitars i have ever played. it is opinion. i tend to not like bolt ons.... but i think it is the body shapes-to playing while standing...idk
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I have bolt on neck guitars that have great sustain compared to some of my set necks. I think my necks thrus have just a little better sustain but not much. It's funny I have a cheap Washbun/Lyon bolt on that seems to have the longest sustain of 90% of my guitars.
I have a set neck guitar, a neck through guitar, and a bolt on neck bass. I dont think it makes much diffrence really. The neck through sure looks and feels nice though.
bolt on has the most sustain and neck-thru has the least sustain. there was a whole study done on this

edit: sustain also has to do with how you hold a note, not just the guitar
Quote by ironman1478
bolt on has the most sustain and neck-thru has the least sustain. there was a whole study done on this

edit: sustain also has to do with how you hold a note, not just the guitar

no
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Through neck: Break it and you're screwed.

Bolt on: Break it and you're not screwed.
Quote by GuitarGuy X
Through neck: Break it and you're screwed.

Bolt on: Break it and you're not screwed.

very good point. But i never have, and doubt i ever will break a guitar neck.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
very good point. But i never have, and doubt i ever will break a guitar neck.

I never broke a neck until that one day I broke a neck, it sucked.
There are a whole host of factors that affect sustain more than the neck joint. For example, bridge (hardtails have more sustain than vibrato systems), pickups, amp, amount of distortion, action, and of course, technique. And any well designed bolt-on will have great upper fret access.