Is it just me, or has anyone else been seduced by the power of the Jimi Hendrix Chord?

Here's the baseline chord in all its glory:

Of course, you can play this thing all over the place, and I also flip around the pinky and play this like a C7, but either way: this is a freakin' seductive chord, in particular the shape on the first 3 strings.

Watch out! You've been forewarned.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
It's really fun to play, and I love the sound it gives.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Yeah, gorgeous chord. Very jazzy, but very usable.
Although, it DID exist before Hendrix >.>

I should look for some more voicings for that. Anyone got any?
it's nothing special.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
it's nothing special.

Your sig says skrew Obama. You don't know special when you see it :p

It's a little overused perhaps but if Jimi had never used it, I reckon you'd like it.
You can also use the first 3 notes in this chord as a replacement for power chords on the E and A strings.

I like to do 12-bar blues shuffles using the first 3 notes from the Hendrix chord. It just slightly dissonant but very tasty.
Quote by Nike-Man
How about this one slid up and down the neck?!

e 3
b 1
g 0
d 0
a 3
E 1

Good luck sliding an open chord around.
Quote by Nike-Man
How about this one slid up and down the neck?!

e 3
b 1
g 0
d 0
a 3
E 1

WTF? How?
it sounds like "aaahh an interesting development has developed at the hotel captain custard"
Castles made of sand! use your thumb, and leave the open strings open . . . . . you call yourselves Hendrix fans?
Quote by Rock Pig
Your sig says skrew Obama. You don't know special when you see it :p

It's a little overused perhaps but if Jimi had never used it, I reckon you'd like it.

I recon I still wouldn't. I'm somewhat a Hendrix fan, I just don't see what's so great about the chord.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
I always warm up with a 10 minute jam consisting of the Jimi Hendrix chord shape, the C7 chord shape, and the B9 chord shape.

Hendrix used the E7#9 & B9 shapes in the lead in to the killer solo on "Come On" from Electric Ladyland.
Quote by Nike-Man
Castles made of sand! use your thumb, and leave the open strings open . . . . . you call yourselves Hendrix fans?

When I used to play piano, I was also a Chopin fan. Then I realized that there were bizarro Chopin-esque chords with stretches that I could NEVER, EVER make. That was around the time I quit playing piano and picked up the guitar.

Yep, I forgot about "T", but Hendrix had mondo-sized paws...I don't...crap!
Quote by Nike-Man

A: No, I don't call myself a Hendrix fan, merely a casual admirer.
B: We don't all have mammoth hands ._. Indeed, my fingers are stubbylicious.
Quote by Nike-Man

It's the wrong chord. First of all you don't leave the strings open, you mute all the open strings and it's supposed to be:

e-3
B-1
G-x
D-3
A-x
E-1

Playing the low F with your thumb.
edit: or in Jimi's case low E.
This thread seems to be headed more in the general direction of Musician Talk.

Just pointing out.
Quote by Rock Pig
This thread seems to be headed more in the general direction of Musician Talk.

Just pointing out.

Yeah, let's not go there.

Here's a YouTube link to Zeppelin's "We're Gonna Groove" which features the Jimi Hendrix Chord (played at the 6th fret). Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsh3YjXSJeU
this is probobly the chord i play most often when improvising. i didn't know it was called the E7#9 though.
Quote by slamcityjam
It's the wrong chord. First of all you don't leave the strings open, you mute all the open strings and it's supposed to be:

e-3
B-1
G-x
D-3
A-x
E-1

Now I'm pretty sure you had to go to the tabs of this site to check that one. Despite putting that note on the wrong string, it is still a fifth, and the chord is a still a sus2 or 5add9. The sus2 has a fifth. The song also is fine with the string open because once you hit the verse you play,

b 1
g 0
d 3
a 3
E 1

and the backwards guitar in the intro accents the g. The site's tab for this song is also way off
Last edited by Nike-Man at Nov 25, 2008,
It's magic... you know!

Great for funk. He used it in place of a standard E chord in most chord progressions (Wild Thing is an exception).
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Nike-Man
Now I'm pretty sure you had to go to the tabs of this site to check that one. Despite putting that note on the wrong string, it is still a fifth, and the chord is a still a sus2 or 5add9. The sus2 has a fifth. The song also is fine with the string open because once you hit the verse you play,

b 1
g 0
d 3
a 3
E 1

and the backwards guitar in the intro accents the g. The site's tab for this song is also way off

Yea, it's still an Fsus2. As long as it has a G in it, it's still a sus2. F=Root, G=Major 2nd, C=Perfect 5th for the nubs. I like the sus2 chords Jimi used way better than the seventh with #9 because it's more neutral and has some cool applications in chord progressions.
ohh... yes i have been loving this chord lately, especially in jazz band on 7 chords ill throw it the #9 i love it.

also try

and slide into the chord. aw man i love it.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by Nike-Man

My favorite Hendrix song. I love playing that opening chord progression. Sounds amazing with just a bit of dirt.

Quote by slamcityjam

e-3
B-1
G-x
D-3
A-x
E-1

This is the right fingering according to the Hendrix tab book I learned it from. It's low E for Jimi because he tuned a half-step down, but I like how it sounds in standard.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Dec 19, 2008,