If I'm looking for a super low budget amp that won't really disappoint me, is this my best bet?

<$150 is really all I have as far as amp money goes right now. I'll probably upgrade soon, but I really need an amp, and I found this.
It's really good for the price

just gotta warn you right now, when you palm mute, sometimes it's freaks out and makes a funky battery draining noise.
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy
It's really good for the price

just gotta warn you right now, when you palm mute, sometimes it's freaks out and makes a funky battery draining noise.

Maybe I could manipulate that to my advantage, lol.

EDIT: Also, unless I really luck out with what I get for my Wii, I don't think I can shell out the extra $50 for that amp. Thanks, though.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Nov 24, 2008,
It's a great amp. I agree with buying the 20X, though, i have the micro cube, and not having an EQ is annoying as ****
Is the Cube 20x still the best amp for its price? Maybe I could save up a little past Christmas.

EDIT: Why buy it used? It's already pretty cheap. Or are you talking about the 20x?
Really this is just going to be my "noob practice amp". I don't need anything fancy, just something that works and won't make me frustrated. If I do get something better than the Micro, it'll likely be the 20x. But I think I'd rather get the Micro, since it'll probably be upgraded pretty quickly anyway.
I have the Microcube and is a great amp for bedroom practice and the fact that doesn't have the EQ is not a big issue. The amp's modeling technology make up for it.

BTW, the roland cube 20x doesn't have the amp's modeling feature like the Microcube. Another advantage of the Microcube is the portability because of its size and it can run on batteries. So, if still gonna be handy even if you upgrade to a better amp later.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Last edited by El Cumanés at Nov 24, 2008,
Okay, thanks guys. My final Christmas purchase will be:

-Epi LP Standard Music Rising
-Roland Micro Cube

Thanks to all who helped! Now off to sell stuff on eBay to help save up money!
Roland MicroCube FTW.

And get a red one! They sound better than the black ones...
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Roland MicroCube FTW.

And get a red one! They sound better than the black ones...

I really doubt the color matters.
id get either the microcube or a peavey vyper, probably the microcube since its portable and later on when you have a big heavy nice amp you can use the microcube on the go or when you dont want to lug that huge amp everywhere.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by i_don't_know
I really doubt the color matters.

Seriously, the MicroCube is an awesome practice amp. I'm sure that 30 years from now, it'll still be talked about as the classic battery-operated modeling amp of its generation.

Sure, there are others with more power (like the VOX), but remember: we're talking about tiny speakers and mega-low wattage output here, so comparing these amp in terms of "power" is kinda nonsensical.

Rather, it has to do with portability, durability, overall feature set, and ease of use. By this criteria, the MicroCube beats the VOX hands down in 3 out of 4 categories: it's about 30% smaller and it weighs less; it's built like tank (I've traveled through Europe with mine); it uses easy-to-find AA batteries instead of the C-cells required by the VOX; and you can use it without ever cracking open a manual. The VOX has more effect combos, sure, but who really needs to combine delay with reverb?
Mine's awesome, but the other day i cranked it on full distortion, and now it rattles......
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Mine's awesome, but the other day i cranked it on full distortion, and now it rattles......
Yeah, mine does that too I don't use it anymore though so it's all allright.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
I won't need to crank it up to full volume, it'll be in my bedroom.

Hell, I might not even use a ton of distortion anyway.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
You might want to check out the Peavey Vypyrs. The 15 watt is only $100.

You should look at the Peavey vypyr> They sound decent and are quite nice for the price. You wont go wrong with a cube of any kind though. But they vypyr is worth looking into as an option.
If you do get the MicroCube, there's one mod I'd recommend that you make, and I haven't seen it written about before:

The MicroCube comes with a cloth + vinyl carrying handle that pops on over a couple of screws on the side of the amp. This is the weak link on the MicroCube and in the 2.5+ years I've used my MicroCube on a daily basis, it's the only thing that failed.

Basically, the circular cutouts at the ends of the cloth/vinyl strap split apart. This happened over the summer when I was jamming on a beach in Seattle, and the MicroCube came crashing down. I gave up trying to fix the rips (they happened on both sides) and I just ordered a new strap from Roland for $10.50 plus shipping (big ripoff, IMO).

Anyway, you should add some kind of metal eyelets to the strap, like the kind you see on canvas tarps. I think you can buy these eyelets at sewing or crafts shops (at least my wife thinks so).

so if I were in the market for a mini amp, would the Roland Micro Cube would pretty much be my best bet for the price?
You can find Vox DA5s really cheap these days about $140 methinks. The DA5, in my opinion, sounds a little better than the Cube and has loads more effects. Up to personal preference, I guess.