this

i just found this on my local craiglist. but when i called up gibson they said the serial number is invalid. im not sure if i read the serial wrong or not but its 02005560. to me at least.
Fake.

Rosewood boards, painted on serial, odd headstock.

Trussrod cover is off and tuners should be grovers.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
ahhhhh im freaking out right now. I'm really skeptical cause the price is too good to be true and i don't want to ripped for buying a knock off. but the possibility that it is real and I'm passing out the deal and regreting will hunt my mind for a really really long time
It looks real, but that price says no.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Why not call him up, and ask to play it/check it out in person before you buy it?

EDIT: Looking closer, those tuners don't seem right. I'm prety sure the Supreme uses Grover Keystones. The fingerboard should be ebony as well, but..

EDIT2: Beaten to the tuners thing. I looked up the Supreme on the Gibson website, and it's only offered in a sunburst finish.
That guitar is a different finish, has a different fingerboard and different tuners.
I'd say it's less of a "ultra rare" guitar and more like a "really good fake"

Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by kckyle
ahhhhh im freaking out right now. I'm really skeptical cause the price is too good to be true and i don't want to ripped for buying a knock off. but the possibility that it is real and I'm passing out the deal and regreting will hunt my mind for a really really long time

You should be freaking out, it's fake.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've seen one Supreme before (not that color, it was white), and the only difference is the tuning pegs. arent they supposed to be gold?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Fake.

Rosewood boards, painted on serial, odd headstock.

Trussrod cover is off and tuners should be grovers.

you are right. the tuner should be grover. i did call up the guy he said he bought it in 2005. has there been any gibson les paul supreme come with the kulher tuners?
the guy said i have til tonight. he said he has a guy coming from new jersey tomorrow. if i play it what should i watch out for. i haven't play a les paul ina while so what should i be paying attention to.
Quote by TehMasterSword
I've seen one Supreme before (not that color, it was white), and the only difference is the tuning pegs. arent they supposed to be gold?

That's not the only difference.

1. They don't make that finish.
2. The truss rod cover doesn't even look cut right.
3. The fingerboard is obviously rosewood when it should be ebony.
4. The binding looks single-ply instead of multi-ply
5. The serial number is supposed to be branded in, not painted on.

It's fake, I own a Supreme.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's not the only difference.

1. They don't make that finish.
2. The truss rod cover doesn't even look cut right.
3. The fingerboard is obviously rosewood when it should be ebony.
4. The binding looks single-ply instead of multi-ply
5. The serial number is supposed to be branded in, not painted on.

It's fake, I own a Supreme.

hm alright i'll go with your word on this one. i was in the market looking for a gibson les paul classic but somehow i manage to stumble onto this.
Quote by kckyle
hm alright i'll go with your word on this one. i was in the market looking for a gibson les paul classic but somehow i manage to stumble onto this.

Go find a Classic.

For future reference, any Les Paul of that caliber at that cheap is obviously fake.

The seller is selling it for cheap so he can snake out of it if he gets caught. He can say he never charged full price for it, he sold it as a fake.

What he probably doesn't realize is that it's illegal to sell fake guitars.

Quote by Stratoblaster73
It looks real, but that price says no.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Why not call him up, and ask to play it/check it out in person before you buy it?

EDIT: Looking closer, those tuners don't seem right. I'm prety sure the Supreme uses Grover Keystones. The fingerboard should be ebony as well, but..

EDIT2: Beaten to the tuners thing. I looked up the Supreme on the Gibson website, and it's only offered in a sunburst finish.
That guitar is a different finish, has a different fingerboard and different tuners.
I'd say it's less of a "ultra rare" guitar and more like a "really good fake"

It's not that great of a fake.

I spotted it immediately. A good fake would be one that you can't see.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ah so he just called me. he said he changed the tuner to get a more vintage look. he also stated that he bought it from his uncle's cousin or something. so i can't ask him to show me his original receipt from a factual store.
It's fake. There's no picture of the back, because there will be control cavities. It's blue, which is not an official LP Supreme color, AFAIK. The headstock looks plain old weird. Wrong tuners. Rosewood fretboard instead of ebony. Fake fake fake fake fake.

If it seems too good to be true, it is.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by kckyle
ah so he just called me. he said he changed the tuner to get a more vintage look. he also stated that he bought it from his uncle's cousin or something. so i can't ask him to show me his original receipt from a factual store.

How did he explain the new fretboard wood?

You should ask him to take a picture of the back of the guitar, the input jack and the fret board edges.

Supremes don't have cavities so there shouldn't be any on the back, it should have an enlarged jack plate and the fretboard edges should be covered from binding.

I'm still telling you it's fake though. The serial numbers are carved into the headstock, not painted on and the fretboard isn't ebony.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
he said he'll post couple more pictures. yes he said the fretboard is a brownish color=rosewood, and no there are no backplates.
Fake, but looks really nice. wonder how it plays and what the tone is like.
Quote by kckyle
he said he'll post couple more pictures. yes he said the fretboard is a brownish color=rosewood, and no there are no backplates.

Why are you even bothering?

I really hope you aren't considering buying a fake. That's a waste of money. You could buy the same one for 200 bucks on ebay.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why are you even bothering?

I really hope you aren't considering buying a fake. That's a waste of money. You could buy the same one for 200 bucks on ebay.

your right. i'm gonna drop this. even if it is real. he did a really bad job of putting on the tuners.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Go find a Classic.

For future reference, any Les Paul of that caliber at that cheap is obviously fake.

The seller is selling it for cheap so he can snake out of it if he gets caught. He can say he never charged full price for it, he sold it as a fake.

What he probably doesn't realize is that it's illegal to sell fake guitars.

It's not that great of a fake.

I spotted it immediately. A good fake would be one that you can't see.

Well yeah, a bunch of us spoted it.
I meant "really good fake" to just the average buyer.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

The add had has been flagged for removal so some one caught the guy. I wish I could have seen the pic though.
Quote by kckyle
holy crap that was fast. i hope that guy doesn't call me back harassing me now lol, even though i didn't flag it

He shouldn't be harassing you.

I mean, he's the one selling a fake guitar, not you.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by kckyle
from these pictures. these are 1 binding not multiple right?

It doesn't matter man, the guitar is fake.

Unless he swapped the strap buttons , fingerboards, and decided to swap the gold frets for silver ones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
It looks multiple to me, but they're low-res shots.
It looks like it's a cream or white/black/white/black/white
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Even the horn looks off on the body. Just my .02 cents.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Well considering the page has been removed, I'm quite sure it's fake.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.

Here's mine.

You can see that his just doesn't look right compared to mine.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
It's definately a fake but a dam nice looking fake. Did he post a pick of the front HS? Usually that is the dead givaway they never seem to get the logo or inlay just right. The pics are a little blurry but I think it might have multiple layers on the binding you can see a little shadow. What was he asking for it?
the logo looks perfect. its the tuner that was giving me doubts. but i decide i'll go for a classic instead of taking my chance with this one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Here's mine.

You can see that his just doesn't look right compared to mine.

Ugh.
*Orgasm*
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

The guy probably got stuck with it himself and trying to unload it to some unsuspecting buyer.