I'm pretty much a pedal/guitar effects noob, so vafue questions ahead:

What are some essential devices I should get if I want to make drone metal? Like sustain pedals, ODs, delays, etc.?

And how do/can I manipulate feedback?

Also, is there anything else besides low tunings that I can do to make things really bass-y?

Thanks
Are we talking like Sunn O))) and Sleep type stuff?

Play loud. Really loud. And add delay and fuzz.
Play really loud, with british amps or amps with high headroom (so El34s or KT88s for example), through 4x12s to get low end punch, and run a nasty ass fuzz through the front end. The Big Muff is a standard, but there are also more boutique fuzzes that sound great (for a good sampling, visit proguitarshop.com and watch their vids on various fuzz pedals; their site is awesome for stuff like that).

Also, use Single Coils or preferably P-90s (like Tony Iommi used/uses[?]) in your guitar. You may also want to use a mahogony bodied guitar for this. Gibson made an SG with P-90s and Washburn has a WI64 goldtop with P-90s that you could use if you don't have a p-90 or single coil guitar. You may also want to invest in a quality analog delay so you can manipulate the oscillations for various sounds.

Manipulating feedback is basically something you learn, sadly. Of course, there are obvious things like standing certain distances away, using a semi-hollow body, etc but to use it well takes some practice and experimentation.

Weird enough, I'm posting as i'm listening to Sunn O))). :p
That's some scary ass music ._.;;

Basically, what the guy posted above, but learn to manipulate the guitars tone/volume controls for feedback. I suggest humbuckers though, You can get some wicked feedback from those babys.

Delay is a great investment, as well as maybe the Metal Muff, or Big Muff. For feedback, there is always the Fuzz Factory

Ampwise, I say maybe an ENGL head + Cab, or maybe a Diesel head?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
here we go again. i'll make it brief.

AMPS: Loud as hell. Bass heads or single channel heads. British is nice if you want gain from the amp.

CABS: At least 4 speakers. Should be thick and bassy as hell.

PEDALS: If you want tons of feedback control, pickup a Boss DF-2. Besides that, you'll want at least 2-3 fuzzes, a boost, reverb with long decay time, digital delay, analog delay, looper with at least 4 seconds of recording time, and a wah for filtering.

GUITAR: Baritones work reeealll nice, but anything with long sustain (Les Paul is pretty common) will do.

OTHER DEVICES: ebows can work nice sometimes. be creative/inventive in making noise. i use a violin bow, a cellphone and a screwdriver most commonly. i hit my guitar with my fist a lot, and play between the bridge/tailpiece.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I have a strat and a Gibson LP, so I think I'm fine guitar wise...

I have no pedals whatsoever ('cept one of those DigiTech all-in-one dealies, and a homemade stompbox that I could use if I get a noisegate). So I'll check out the effects you guys mentioned.

Similar deal amp-wise. All I have are practise amps which probably won't cut it, but I'm planning on trying out the Orange 50w combo (not for drone, just in general ). I don't have the money or space for a head + cab.

So, new q: Will an Orange 50w combo do the job? Keep in mind metal (any type) is not my style, and that I more want to incorporate into my music oppose to be exclusively drone...

Thanks guys so far.

P.S. RG_FANMAN I just finished DLing Black One. I saw Boris in concert about a week ago and downloaded and started listening to some of their stuff today and thought it'd be neat to incorporate drone into a more "normal" style of music hehe.

EDIT: You posted as I was typing out mine...

AMPS: Loud as hell. Bass heads or single channel heads. British is nice if you want gain from the amp.

Sorry, when people are saying British... is that a brand ('cause I don't think I've ever heard of it)? Or do you simply mean British made?

Aaaaand would two speakers be enough if I don't have enough space/I'm not wanting to do only drone?
OTHER DEVICES: ebows can work nice sometimes. be creative/inventive in making noise. i use a violin bow, a cellphone and a screwdriver most commonly. i hit my guitar with my fist a lot, and play between the bridge/tailpiece.
Yeah I was thinking about "techniques" like these today. Thanks.
Last edited by heaven's gate at Nov 24, 2008,
Honestly for drone metal, something like an ENGL or Diezel that's meant to have GREAT amp distortion isn't the best for Drone Metal, since it's more of a fuzzy, jumbled mess of sound that's needed for Drone Metal. Speaking of which, I tried a VH4 recently and was like "This sounds pretty sick at 1, but how would it sound cranked??? Too bad it's ilke 120 watts and way to friggin loud to put at 2 in guitar center, especially when you're by no means a virtuoso. : [" I'd love one of those.

BACK ON TOPIC, since a fuzz and high gain distortion pedal are gunna be the easiest to get a nasty, fuzzy, dirty, feedback ready sound, go for a cleaner amp. Not that I play drone metal right now (it's actually a mix of stuff like Radiohead and Tool meets Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, if that helps), but I'm really thinking of getting a loud clean amp to run my DS-1 through, and hopefully a Big Muff (may be borrowing a friends until I can get a BYOC Large Beaver) to get a good fuzz sound.

An Ampeg V4 is basically perfect for that. Even cranked with gain up high, it's distortion is like an Ibanez TS-9; not even close to being high gain, but with the gain low, even with the volume at max, it sounds really vibrant and clean. Plus they're not insanely expensive, so I'd look into one of those. But in all honesty, ANY high headroom, clean amp, will allow you to best manipulate various noises from high gain pedals.

And I still say single coils/p-90s because they're more susceptible to noise than humbuckers. And drone metal/noise rock bands love noises; so the more the better!
Quote by xwearesinking

PEDALS: If you want tons of feedback control, pickup a Boss DF-2. Besides that, you'll want at least 2-3 fuzzes, a boost, reverb with long decay time, digital delay, analog delay, looper with at least 4 seconds of recording time, and a wah for filtering.

GUITAR: Baritones work reeealll nice, but anything with long sustain (Les Paul is pretty common) will do.

That's a pretty accurate summation. My vote for amp goes to an Ampeg V4 or any Sunn tube product. 4x12; same brands, or an old JCM800 1960 cab; ballsier than any modern cab I've tried.

Pedals: fuzzes are a must. And I also forgot reverb and looper! Boss RV-3 if you can find one and spend the money, or EHX Holy Grail or even the newer RV-5. Looper; Line 6 DL4...EVERYONE's got one, and for good reason too.
you could probably manage okay drones with just about any amp to be honest. it's mostly in the pedals and volume.

get the Sunn/boris split "Altar"

creepy as ****

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Thanks guys, I'll check out the stuff you all mentioned when my work load is a little lighter...

wearesinking: I'll look for Altar. I DLed Boris' Absolutego today, and the first track drove me crazy, but I loved it.
Quote by heaven's gate
I have a strat and a Gibson LP, so I think I'm fine guitar wise...

I have no pedals whatsoever ('cept one of those DigiTech all-in-one dealies, and a homemade stompbox that I could use if I get a noisegate). So I'll check out the effects you guys mentioned.

Similar deal amp-wise. All I have are practise amps which probably won't cut it, but I'm planning on trying out the Orange 50w combo (not for drone, just in general ). I don't have the money or space for a head + cab.

So, new q: Will an Orange 50w combo do the job? Keep in mind metal (any type) is not my style, and that I more want to incorporate into my music oppose to be exclusively drone...

Thanks guys so far.

P.S. RG_FANMAN I just finished DLing Black One. I saw Boris in concert about a week ago and downloaded and started listening to some of their stuff today and thought it'd be neat to incorporate drone into a more "normal" style of music hehe.

EDIT: You posted as I was typing out mine...

Sorry, when people are saying British... is that a brand ('cause I don't think I've ever heard of it)? Or do you simply mean British made?

Aaaaand would two speakers be enough if I don't have enough space/I'm not wanting to do only drone?

Yeah I was thinking about "techniques" like these today. Thanks.

Guitars are perfect. Definitely get a fuzz (i'd got for a muff since it's a great basis for exploring fuzz sounds and isn't insanely expensive), and your Orange should be good. Lots of stoner/doom guys use an Orange OR50 head with a fuzzbox and it sounds great. I'm assuming since it's a 50 watt combo, it's a rockerverb combo? Rockerverbs have great OD which you could definitely use independantly, but for the doom stuff, throw a fuzz on the clean channel and you'll b e more than content. And british refers to the voicing/power tubes. British amps, like Marshall, Vox and Orange, are known for upper midrange emphasis and brighter sounds, which are partly attributed to their power tubes: EL34s. Dont know the specifics on tubes, but I do know their the ones to get for a british sound and seem to be brighter than other tubes.

Black One is great, but for even more awesomeness, download the Sunn O)))/Boris Split Album (forget the name); THAT is amazing. Boris is an amazing band, and combined with Sunn O))) it's just awesome doom/drone/stoner music.
^ It's called Altar, I already recommended it =]

there's actually a difference between uppercase Boris and lowercase boris.

Boris is more straight up balls out rocking and boris is more experimental.

MAKE SURE you get Flood, Amplifier Worship, Feedbacker, and Dronevil.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣