A few weeks ago I acquired a well worn out Teisco Del Ray E-110 at a garage sale for $5. It happens to be missing the nut and the bridge. Also the neck isn't straight and the frets are almost worn down to the fretboard. I decided that I want to get this thing in playable condition.

I want to find a cheap Squire replacement neck on ebay that comes with tuners and replace the old one. The width of the neck pocket is 54mm, length is 74mm, and depth is 12mm. Is this a standard-ish width? I would imagine that i can just sand the neck a bit if it doesn't fit, and I intend to drill new holes in the neck to fit the Teisco's plate which I know is not standard. Is this safe to do? or will I end up hitting the truss rod?

As for the bridge, would it be possible to use a tune-o-matic style as a replacement if I install the studs?

I haven't decided if i want to replace the pickup yet but I had the idea to drop in a Dog Ear P-90 type as the pickup that is in it now is mounted flush to the pickguard with 2 screws and the lead poking through the other side. There is a cavity in it though that I think is wide/deep enough to give me options it is much wider than the pickup in there too. The cavity is 98mm wide, and 20mm deep, and I think 22mm across. Is a Dog ear P-90 possible?

I will take pictures when I get home(at school now) but here is one to give you an idea of what i have.

light strings would make up for the worn out frets, and put less pressure on the neck, so that you could probably adjust the truss rod enough to make it playable. a new bridge is probably unnecessary, I have an old japanese guitar that has a similar bridge and it's intonation is fine. just look on ebay for a similar one. you'll probably want a new 1/4" jack, and pots, or clean the current pots with contact cleaner spray. new pickup would possibly work, but unless there's some problem with the existing pickup, leave it, it has more character than those boring old P-90s. a squire neck might just be 21 frets, so it would be too short. new tuners would also probably be good, if you can find some that would work for the headstock. hope that was helpful.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by skvvisgaar
light strings would make up for the worn out frets, and put less pressure on the neck, so that you could probably adjust the truss rod enough to make it playable. a new bridge is probably unnecessary, I have an old japanese guitar that has a similar bridge and it's intonation is fine. just look on ebay for a similar one. you'll probably want a new 1/4" jack, and pots, or clean the current pots with contact cleaner spray. new pickup would possibly work, but unless there's some problem with the existing pickup, leave it, it has more character than those boring old P-90s. a squire neck might just be 21 frets, so it would be too short. new tuners would also probably be good, if you can find some that would work for the headstock. hope that was helpful.
lol wut? character? in a Teisco pickup? no. just ... NO.

unless by "character" you mean weak and wimpy. then yes, i agree.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well I measured the neck from the 12th to the zero fret it has and its 12.25 inches so I would assume that this is a 25.5 inch scale guitar and the last time i checked, so are strats. spacing beetween strings might be an issue b/c the neck is a tad bit narrow.

As for it not being worth it, i am totally aware of that. I dropped a set fender Hot Noiseless pups into a 100 dollar guitar w/ a 7 tone switch, was it worth it? definitely not. But it was fun and now I have a Behringer guitar with a scalloped neck and D. Gilmour style tones.

edit:
PICS

Last edited by Musjunk22 at Nov 26, 2008,
Maybe you could just refret the neck.
I also plan on customizing my old Teisco when i get the money (NOT because I think it would make a great guitar but just for fun and to make it playable again).
Anyway, mine is missing volume/tone pots, input jack, nut and tuners.
Once I get those replaced im gonna refret the neck on mine.
How much work does refretting entail? My local shop said that it'd cost $2-300 so I assume its very time consuming. Although it might not be worth it because its not exactly straight but it isn't tooo bad...
Heres a tutorial i found online on fretting: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/fretting.htm
My plan is to buy some fretwire at a shop for around $20, use the files and radius blocks i already own and see what happens. But fortunately for me my teisco has a descent enough neck that most of the work will be spent bending and leveling the wire.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
lol wut? character? in a Teisco pickup? no. just ... NO.

unless by "character" you mean weak and wimpy. then yes, i agree.
Hey, I like how they sound too. You don't need to be a dick about everything, you know.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
I agree that you should keep the original pup, but worst case scenario you could try out those single-coil sized p90s.
Quote by Wakisazhi
single-coil sized p90s.
Where can such wonders be found?
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
I just received an original bridge that I bought on ebay. All it needs now is a nut. Does anyone know what size or style this needs?, i know its not a fender style cause there isn't a notch on the fretboard, it just stops about half a centimeter from the headstock. Gibson style?
hey, i had a teisco "tulip" just like that back in '71 when i first started playing, got it for christmas. it was not up to par with the gibson les paul or fender tele that i wanted, but i played the crap out of it. currently own a few better ones now, but wouldn't mind having the teisco just for nostalgic reasons. can't offer much in the way of advise or help with your project, but wanted to wish you good luck and say damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. hope to post a shot of me and my buddy jamming from back then with the tulip.---uncle howie.
I've heard of people cutting their own nuts from old toothbrush handles...?

also, If i were you i'd re fret it - good practice for later fretting jobs, and it's cheaper.
this guitar is fantastic.
as for the P90 i think a dogear will ruin the vintage cool. have a look at GFS Retrotron pickups. they have what they describe as a P90 in a very similar style to these vintage japanese guitars.
you should look into refretting rather than replacing the neck, (assuming it's not warped beyond the truss rod adjustment being able to fix it) the nut is easy to find.
try to keep this thing original looking. they're much cooler that way!
hey Musjunk22 dude, think this may work the neck, nut, and frets look ok and may save you a ton of work. for 7 or 8 bucks i guess you can't go wrong. good luck if you bid, and hope to hear when you finish your project., rock on---uncle howie.
This is back in 1973 or so, my buddy and me playing a Carl Perkins tune,"Honey Don't"
My buddy is playing my Teisco which was my first electric, and the hair with protruding nose is me on my second acoustic, a Kasuga. Can't remember what became of either, but we played the crap out of both. He had a really nice Guild back then too. The other shot is me again with the Kasuga. The tulip was by no means a great guitar, but it was my first electric, and i wouldn't mind having it for nostalgic reasons.---rock on.
uncle howie. p.s. i hope the pix get attached or i'll try again later.
Attachments:
back then.jpg
Thanks for the update unclehowie! Thats a great find! That is exactly the same neck on my del ray, I will bid.

As of right now, I came up with a simple and somewhat interesting solution to the frets being worn down. I strung the guitar using a 12 string set and used the higher octave strings for the bottom 3 strings (E,A,D) which are 2 octaves higher than standard tuning. This, i believe is called nashville tuning. Since all the strings are less than 24 guage they all fret nicely with the almost non existent frets. Its tough on the fingers though and keeping it in tune is nearly impossible. I left the old pickup in there and you guys are right! it does have a lot of character. Only problem is that the if I jiggle it while playing the sound goes in and out, not sure if its the pots or the wiring.

thanks everyone!
Great pictures btw unclehowie!
indeed an interesting solution to the fret prob with the 12er strings. hope you can cop that neck as it looked pretty decent. as much as i love P90s, i think its cool you're leaving the original pup. hope you can remedy the prob with it cutting out. its really a trip that you're doing all this. i do believe these models have a cult following of sorts, i'm quite surprised how many peeps are into them. rock on lad.---uncle howie.
p.s. glad you got a kick outa the pix, my hair's a bit grayer now than back in '73.
Quote by jimRH7
I've heard of people cutting their own nuts from old toothbrush handles...?

also, If i were you i'd re fret it - good practice for later fretting jobs, and it's cheaper.

Ouch.

I say refret it, who knows you may end up loving it after youre done.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall