So I've boiled down my choices to these two amps, the EVH 5150III and the Krank Krankenstein. I play classic rock to metal and I thought I would just get people's feedback on which amp they thought would be better and what thoughts and opinions they had on the amps. I would also like to know if the 5150III can be used for metal?
Any feedback would be appreciated
The EVH 5150 can definitely be used for metal. Though I'd recommend demoing both amps personally before making any decisions.
I've played the krankenstein and I was not impressed. Extremely overpriced and you are pretty much paying for dimes picture on the thing. That's just my opinion though
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by BigRob91
I've played the krankenstein and I was not impressed. Extremely overpriced and you are pretty much paying for dimes picture on the thing. That's just my opinion though

It's true. I bought it, not because of Dime, but I hated the thing.
I personally would prefer the EVH 5150 III. It's very versatile, has great sound, and yes, can hold up for metal and large periods of thrashing. The channels are great and it's a very dynamic amp, and the effects are amazing (For Being built-in).
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by BigRob91

Based on the Fact that it's only $100 more than the Rev. if I remember correctly, most of what you are paying for is the fact that they are well made amps with high quality parts and have amazing customer service. I'd like to hear these reasons about how they're over priced, and don't say they sound bad as that's personal preference.
I have heard that the Krankenstein has an obese amount of gain, make sure you try it to see that you like it.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Once you start getting into that price range, it's more about personal preferance than anything. Try both, see what you like.
Gibson.
I really liked the 5150 III I tried out when I first bought my S7320, great clean, and an awesome lead channel for no box's in the line, just straight in. But the price on them is too hefty for my tastes, and I have heard of people having problems with their's, reliability sort of issues, not very much tonal, but build quality going to ****.
I've never played a Krank amp, but from what I've figured with the standard series is they didn't deliver a very tight gain sound. Really loose and noisey, but I'd figure an OD would fix that up, as it did Erock's tone.
The Krank + Series seems pretty decent though from what I've heard, I'd like to play one of those someday for certain, but my advice for you is to demo the 2 and find which you like best.
for the price the 5150 3 is good because its basically fender twin cleans and a 5150 with a noise gate (could be wrong there). with the right speaker it rivals the engl se (which for me is the better gain sound out there as well as the Diezel VH4 and Soldano Hot Rod..and those are twice the price.

It works very well with ibanez s series i find.
i have a krankenstein + and its amazing, great for metal. the cleans arn't great unless you scoop the mids a fair bit but its got gain coming out of it's arse. never played the 5150 3 but yeah i love my krankenstein.

definantly worth a try
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Quote by BigRob91

and dethklok (aka brendan smalls) use them as well
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I'm not a fan of the krankenstein instead of that why try out an Revolution +.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by HandsomeFrank
Who's Brendan Smalls...

If your joking lol

but if your serious you know that show metalocalypse yeah he plays guitar and bass on all the songs.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Blacken Seas
I'm not a fan of the krankenstein instead of that why try out an Revolution +.

I agree the Revolution + is an awesome amp, I demo'd it recently and was expecting a fizzy rectifier type of sound but was pleasantly surprised by the tone of this amp, great for classic rock and you can dial in more gain for metal.
Man if I were you I'd look for an 80's JCM 800. Which was THE metal amp back in the day. A 100watt head in great condition would cost you around $900 give or take.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Lethal Dosage
If your joking lol

but if your serious you know that show metalocalypse yeah he plays guitar and bass on all the songs.

At least get his name right..