I don't have an iPod or MP3 player to listen to music on so an external device is irrelevant to my following question...

I mostly use my media player to listen to music while I'm on the computer, and I'm curious to know which program (iTunes or WMP) is more effecient for the action at hand. For the most part, I'm curious whether or not switching from Windows Media Player to iTunes will free up some space on my computer (seeing as it would require that all of my music files be converted from WMA's to MP3's.) Needless to say, I'm in search for some guidance on the topic.

Sorry, if some of my technical lingo is off (regarding file type names mostly) but I'm not much of a computer geek.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
If I'm not mistaken iTunes converts files to .AAC which is at 128kb/s audio whereas WMP keeps files at the average 320kb/s bitrate, hence a higher quality of sound

Simplified: WMP = better sound quality
ohai little sig.
If you run windows use WMP. iTunes runs like a 300 pound 90 year old man on most windows machines. If you run mac, iTunes is the way to go.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
I doubt it will. You have to download quicktime when you download itunes, blah blah blah. The jist of it is that you have two more processes running constantly. Plus WMP 11 is great organization wise, but that can be debatable.

Stick with the WMP.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
itunes WILL convert all of your wma's into mp3's. you're better off with wmp
I perfer wmp over itunes because all of the songs have to be converted for itunes. Plus the latest version of wmp shows album art beside all of the songs on the album, and you can customize the color of the skin. Last but not least all of the songs do not look so crammed together like they do in itunes.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by Gibson06
I much prefer winamp to both.

i think WMP is better.

if you are just using them for music though, and you don't want WMP for some reason, i suggest trying Winamp at least. iTunes is pretty pointless if you don't have an iPod.
Quote by Demonikk
If I'm not mistaken iTunes converts files to .AAC which is at 128kb/s audio whereas WMP keeps files at the average 320kb/s bitrate, hence a higher quality of sound

Simplified: WMP = better sound quality

Quote by prodigal1
itunes WILL convert all of your wma's into mp3's. you're better off with wmp

Quote by Maggot3000
I perfer wmp over itunes because all of the songs have to be converted for itunes. Plus the latest version of wmp shows album art beside all of the songs on the album, and you can customize the color of the skin. Last but not least all of the songs do not look so crammed together like they do in itunes.

Dude, what in the hell? Why don't you just NOT convert them?
You're*
iTunes is terrible, I hate that every two weeks Apple bug the **** out of me about a new update for itunes or my ipod. But I don't like WMP that much either. I use winamp for the most part, the visualisations are awesome
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
WMP for me, download some codecs and it runs great and plays almost anything.
I don't see the point of itunes unless you own an ipod
I use MediaMonkey... it's pretty much a better version of WMP.

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
I would try and get hold of WMP 7 personally. I prefer the old WMP to the newer ones. But I'm on a mac, and have an iPod, so I have no choice but iTunes
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress