On the music scale with the treble clef, when it says to play an "A" how do I tell which one to play, since there are at least 6 ways to play an "A" note on guitar.
You can play any A you want, as long as its in the right octave.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
im not 100% sure but i think it's the 2nd fret on the g string. it's an A but idk if it's the right one,

try looking for a recording of an A note or play it on a piano or different instrument then compare.
is the a on the staff, above the staff, below the staff, etc? or is it just a note with "A" written above it? i know i have the note durations/rhythm "A" written above it, it means for me to play an a chord. but if its an individual note on the staff, then its just the note. Low A (below the staff) would be the a string open for the low one, 2nd fret on the g string for the one on the staff, and the high a (above the staff) would be 5th fret on the high e string i think.

hope that helps a bit.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
In the space between the second and third lowest lines on the music staff, 2nd fret on the G string.
i see...the reason i ask this is because i can read tab, but can't read sheet music. i get the point now. thanks for the help.
...Don't want to sound stupid, but wouldn't the note have a sharp, flat, or natural sign in front of it if it indicated to play a flat, sharp, or natural? Or look in the key signature, I guess..
Quote by Ryan Rage
...Don't want to sound stupid, but wouldn't the note have a sharp, flat, or natural sign in front of it if it indicated to play a flat, sharp, or natural? Or look in the key signature, I guess..

look in the key signature, but look out for accidentals (individual notes that deviate from the key signature indicated by a sharp, flat, or natural sign), and remember that accidentals carry through a measure (in other words, if an F in the first beat of a measure is marked sharp and there's another F in beat 4 unmarked, it'll be sharp as well).

I have a lot of experience reading sheet music. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I can't necessarily relate it to guitar yet (I'll be getting my first guitar right after Christmas), but I can help with reading it.
Quote by uctlaum01
(in other words, if an F in the first beat of a measure is marked sharp and there's another F in beat 4 unmarked, it'll be sharp as well).

Unless there's a natural or flat sign before it .
Quote by willieturnip
Unless there's a natural or flat sign before it .

of course. I did say if it was unmarked.
Quote by M.P.A.Guitarist
i can only read tab...

So don't post in this thread, you're not helping anyone.

TS: Guitar is played an octave lower than written, so if you have an A like this:

--

--

--
o
--

--

You can play it on the second fret of the G string or any other way you want to sound that particular A.