for a NEW amp which should i choose

Peavey ValveKing 112 with speaker swap
B-52 AT-112
Peavey Classic 30/112
Randall RG50TC

i play......lots of punk, metal, grunge, and rock
but im working on getting like a emo sorta style band going (not necessarily emo but kinda like that)
maybe more of a hardcore punk thing.
so i would like something in the realm of that.
also i want some decent cleans for stuff i have to play at church.

for USED. make some suggestions other than Peavey JSX, XXX, 6505, 5150
there are other amps =)

same things go.
A used 6505/5150 is good if you're not really going to use the cleans.

But yeah, I think the Valveking would also be a good choice once you do the speaker swap.
well ive heard good things about the peavy classic 30, but your gonna need a pedal for some more dirt. as for the others.... I think the only other one I could recommend is the B-52

by the way, try before you buy, dont just go by what you see here
Peavey XXX.

Oh sh*t. Just read your disclaimer.

Get the Valveking. Heard some decent things about B52's, though. Don't have much experience with Randalls.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Rockawocka
well ive heard good things about the peavy classic 30, but your gonna need a pedal for some more dirt. as for the others.... I think the only other one I could recommend is the B-52

by the way, try before you buy, dont just go by what you see here

this

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by a7xrocks02
xxx is know for versatility right?

I don't know that it's KNOWN for versatility - it's predominately a heavy geared amp, but I do blues and jazz with it too in addition to metal. Works fine for me.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I've liked the Randall from youtube videos the only thing I've heard bad about it is some reliability issues, I would suggest a Bugera except they have the same reliability issues, or maybe it's just ignorant users I don't know I don't own one.

Tone is relative, try everything, choose your favourite.

And spam the hell out of CL and ebay
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
the randall is good but is nothing compared to the vk. i would also reccommend getting the 212 instead of 112. the 212 is as loud as you will EVER need to get.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
The VK 112 is hella loud. But I reccomend against buying one new, especially if you're spending more on upgrading it.

Used: maybe look into a JCM 800 - only problem here is you'll need money to get a cab.
IMO valvekings are really awful for the money and you'd be better off getting the randall, or a B-52, or a XXX for the same priced used, or for 100 bucks extra new.

I spent 250 on a crate with an OD pedal, and overall it sounds better than any valveking ive played, not much headroom for cleans, and it does get muddy, but with a few adjustments of the OD you get a better sound, and it helps alot to get rid of that muddiness, and its got its draw backs, but like a valveking dosent.

Im ganna spend about 50 bucks on a speaker replacement, and that will still end up being cheaper than a valveking, better sounding to.

Im not saying get a crate, im just saying dont get a valveking.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by a7xrocks02
a crate?
no sir.
im looking for a tube amp.

Ever heard of Palomino series?
Quote by Horlicks
Ever heard of Palomino series?

ooh. no. how much are they? do they have an fx loop. cuz im not getting an amp without one. not really worth it imo if it limits the fx you can use to distortion and reverb.
The valveking just sucks. I hate that thing. I own a peavey 6505 and it's a fine amp. You'll never need another amp for high gain. If I was going to go cheaper like you are wanting to I'd go bugera 333xl. I have one of those too and it can hang with the more expensive tube amps. Before the bugeras came out the valveking was a contender but tone wise the valveking just isn't up to par compared to the bugeras.
Quote by THEKID546
IMO valvekings are really awful for the money and you'd be better off getting the randall, or a B-52, or a XXX for the same priced used, or for 100 bucks extra new.

I spent 250 on a crate with an OD pedal, and overall it sounds better than any valveking ive played, not much headroom for cleans, and it does get muddy, but with a few adjustments of the OD you get a better sound, and it helps alot to get rid of that muddiness, and its got its draw backs, but like a valveking dosent.

Im ganna spend about 50 bucks on a speaker replacement, and that will still end up being cheaper than a valveking, better sounding to.

Im not saying get a crate, im just saying dont get a valveking.

Yeah I agree the valveking just sucks. I'd honestly choose a solid state amp if I had to before I'd buy a valveking. Theres just better options out there.
Quote by a7xrocks02
ooh. no. how much are they? do they have an fx loop. cuz im not getting an amp without one. not really worth it imo if it limits the fx you can use to distortion and reverb.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't recommending them. I was just showing that Crate do make valve amps (Blackheart amps also).

And FYI, the Peavey JSX, XXX, 6505 and 5150 are all better than the other amps you're looking at.
Quote by Horlicks
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't recommending them. I was just showing that Crate do make valve amps (Blackheart amps also).

And FYI, the Peavey JSX, XXX, 6505 and 5150 are all better than the other amps you're looking at.

Yeah, agreed. If you don't go Bugera it's better to save up and get yourself a used 5150 or 6505. The xxx i'm not a huge fan of. I love the JSX but it's a bit more expensive than the 6505.