Hey, my little brother just got an acoustic, and, me being a bass player, I have no clue what to tell him. I looked at the beginners acoustic section, and I don't think he knows any of that, and I'd want to show him a song he knows; I don't think he's really gonna dedicate himself to it, but I thought this would be a cool thing to do for him. He listens to alot of Sum 41, but they don't use acoustic, so I really have no ideas..... maybe a little easier Nirvana? I don't think he can even play chords yet, he's only had it a couple days.
teach him how to fingerpick, you should at least be able to do that
then umm, that depends on the age, and most of the bands he listens to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8E8J-tPe2U

sum 41 acoustic-over my head

might be a little advanced, but it can be played acoustic
Just teach him the basic chords at first?

If you insist on a song to learn try pieces by Sum 41, its pretty simple as is pretty much played acousticly.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Okay, thanks. I can already tell he's losing interest because he has no one to teach him, so I'll try this, and I'll try to find a way to teach him the chords.
teach him the smoke on the water riff, when I was a beginner, once I learned this I felt really accomplished.
e|------------------------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------------------------
G|------------0------------1---0------------0---------
D|---0---3-------0---3------------0---3--------3---0
A|------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by dubstar92
teach him the smoke on the water riff, when I was a beginner, once I learned this I felt really accomplished.
D|---0---1-------0---1------------0---1--------1---0

Okay, thanks. I played that until he recognized it, then showed him how. I now realized I have to teach him the names of the strings... among a lot of other things... well, the bottom four are the same as bass, so it shouldn't be too hard. Just gotta remember B, high E.

Edit: ****, I think while showing him that, I lost his pick...
Last edited by herby190 at Nov 25, 2008,
I think it's great that you are taking the time to work with him, and encourage him. He has a neat older brother!

You can teach him about the strings, about care for his instrument, about all sorts of things,.....even if you ARE playing a Bass. Ever thought about learning the guitar WITH him?
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Quote by herby190
Okay, thanks. I played that until he recognized it, then showed him how. I now realized I have to teach him the names of the strings... among a lot of other things... well, the bottom four are the same as bass, so it shouldn't be too hard. Just gotta remember B, high E.

Edit: ****, I think while showing him that, I lost his pick...

****, I'm sorry I didn't post the right tab, on the D string, the 1's should be 3's, I'm sorry.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by Soupy1957
I think it's great that you are taking the time to work with him, and encourage him. He has a neat older brother!

You can teach him about the strings, about care for his instrument, about all sorts of things,.....even if you ARE playing a Bass. Ever thought about learning the guitar WITH him?

I would, but I've only got about a month of bass experience, and most of my time is going towards my bass, and trying to get our lazy drummer to practice (I haven't succeeded yet...). I think he knows a bit about care already from me, because when traveling, I'm always checking to make sure there's no pressure on the neck of my bass, and he knows that. I also always wash my hands before playing to keep the strings clean, and he knows that too. I think he's got a cloth to clean it with too.
Quote by dubstar92
D|---0---3-------0---3------------0---3--------3---0

That's well wrong dude.

It is played with no pick and it goes something like this.

G|-------3---5---------3-6-5---------3---5---3--0-
D|--5---3---5-----5---3-6-5----5---3---5---3--0-
A|--5--------------5--------------5-------------------

The strings are played together in pairs, pulling up on them, sounds miles better and is the way it was originally played.

Just FYI
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by Skeet UK
That's well wrong dude.

It is played with no pick and it goes something like this.

G|-------3---5---------3-6-5---------3---5---3--0-
D|--5---3---5-----5---3-6-5----5---3---5---3--0-
A|--5--------------5--------------5-------------------

The strings are played together in pairs, pulling up on them, sounds miles better and is the way it was originally played.

Just FYI

well I was posting the beginner way.
grok it.

SKREAM!

I just taught my little bro the 'beginner' smoke on the water riff yesterday and he seemed pretty happy about it. He's got little to no interest in guitar, though, it's pretty disappointing.

maybe try to find some easy Sum 41 riffs that he can play? just little bits and pieces to keep him going between learning notes, scales, chords, etc.
A few ways to go about it..... I would really recommend you buy Andy Aledort's INtro to Acoustic Rock DVD, it's excellent.

Learning first position chords is a must, then the power chords.

I mean, if he learns:
A, A7, Am, Am7,
B, B7, BM,
C, C7,
D, Dm, Dsus2, Dsus4, D7,
E, Em, E7
F
G, G7

Then he can instantly play, to some degree, 80% of songs he knows. With those chords I can play close to 100 songs that are relatively well known.

Another option, is to tune his acoustic to open G (DGDGBD) and as you play a chord on the bass, he bars the chord on the acoustic and plays along with you...... Wild Horses is easy in open G once you get the beat of the song down tight.

I honestly wish no one had ever shown me standard tuning or a pick to be honest with you. I wish some one would have handed me the guitar in open G or D and said, here, play the damn thing.