For my next amp, i was thinking about picking up a Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo amp
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VL212
Im going to go out on a limb and say this amp is likely to be extremely heavy (as in pounds) and might have some mobility issues, but otherwise is it a good amp? My playing style is usually pretty hi-gain, even though i play classic rock a lot. Other stuff i play is Maiden, Amon Amarth, Ozzy, And of course instrumentalists like Vai, Satch, and Gilbert. I've always enjoyed Vais tone, and i want a really big full tone out of an amp (even though a lot of the bands i like/play have a buzzsaw kinda tone)
Do you think this would be a good purchase?

Any other suggestions are welcome, but please, combos only.
Quote by Tubyboulin
For my next amp, i was thinking about picking up a Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo amp
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VL212
Im going to go out on a limb and say this amp is likely to be extremely heavy (as in pounds) and might have some mobility issues, but otherwise is it a good amp? My playing style is usually pretty hi-gain, even though i play classic rock a lot. Other stuff i play is Maiden, Amon Amarth, Ozzy, And of course instrumentalists like Vai, Satch, and Gilbert. I've always enjoyed Vais tone, and i want a really big full tone out of an amp (even though a lot of the bands i like/play have a buzzsaw kinda tone)
Do you think this would be a good purchase?

Any other suggestions are welcome, but please, combos only.

HELL YEAH one of the most versatile amps you can buy. If you want a good example on how to set it when you get it, or if your not sure yet, go to youtube and look up mark mcguigan. That's all he uses, but also has a THD hotplate which is an attuneator, so you may want to invest in one of thoses. Still, an awesome amp for the price, and they sound great too. Nice choice.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by mlkIII
HELL YEAH one of the most versatile amps you can buy.

One of the most versatile amps? You haven't played one, have you?

The Legacy is not a high gain amp and is not for modern metal or chugging power chords. I'd only recommend the Legacy to lead players. It has one of the best clean channels I've come across and a very smooth, dark, lead tone. Where it lacks is versatility and the rhythm department.

If you're set on the Legacy and looking to play mainly rhythm and occasionally leads, I highly suggest swapping the EL34's with 6L6.
Quote by Guitarmiester

The Legacy is not a high gain amp and is not for modern metal or chugging power chords. I'd only recommend the Legacy to lead players. It has one of the best clean channels I've come across and a very smooth, dark, lead tone. Where it lacks is versatility and the rhythm department.

If you're set on the Legacy and looking to play mainly rhythm and occasionally leads, I highly suggest swapping the EL34's with 6L6.

^This

The Legacy has a very distinctive lead tone. If you don't like it, it's not something you can easily dial out, so I'd strongly recommend trying it out first. Even with an OD, it really struggles in the rhythm department. It strong point is the clean channel, which I truly believe is one of the best money can buy.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Nov 25, 2008,
How hi-gain do you mean?

and +1 on the 6l6's
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Archeo Avis
^This

The Legacy has a very distinctive lead tone. If you don't like it, it's not something you can easily dial out, so I'd strongly recommend trying it out first. Even with an OD, it really struggles in the rhythm department. It strong point is the clean channel, which I truly believe is one of the best money can buy.

Are the sample clips on the carvin site accurate examples of the tone? I've never seen a legacy anywhere so i wouldnt be able to try it out, but i did find some sound clips on youtube and carvins site.

When i say hi-gain i dont meen stuff like Mesugha (sp) Cannibal Corpse, and that kind of thing. I meen more Maiden and Dio levels of gain, although i do on occasion play some Amon Amarth songs. Heaveiest/highest i ever go is Metallica.

My band has 3 guitarists, so im not too worried about having the perfect rythm tone with it. From what ive heard, its not that bad though

From the clips though, i love the lead tones.
The clips on the Carvin site are accurate. If you want to hear the Legacy in action, listen to Steve Vai's "Ultra Zone" or "Real Illusions: Reflections." He used a Legacy on both of those albums and gives a very good idea of what the Legacy is capable of.

You're going to run into problems cutting through with two other guitarists in your band. The Legacy is a very loud amp, but it's also a dark amp which makes it harder to cut through when playing with a second guitarist or more.
^ At band practice i can manage fine, and live they usually mic all our amps so i will have no problem then. beleive me My current amp is overwhelming playing live, but is kinda hard to cut through in practice.

And excelent to hear the clips are good. Ill check out the Vai stuff too. i guess the darkness of the amp works well with him because of the really hi-ended Evo pickups right?
Quote by Tubyboulin
i guess the darkness of the amp works well with him because of the really hi-ended Evo pickups right?

That's right. The Jem is a very bright, snappy guitar. Steve also hits the front of his Legacy with boss DS-1 which is also very bright (oops...he's prolly using his custom Jemini pedal which is based on a DS-1 and TS9 respectively).

The clean channel is where he gets his usual crucnh rythm tone. He uses the "right" side of his pedal into the clean channel.

He uses the left side of the Jemini on the lead channel when he's soloing with the neck pickup.

Steve demoing the Jemini thru his Legacy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y
Last edited by BeerChurch at Nov 25, 2008,
He uses a Keeley modded DS-1, though, so your $40 DS-1 won't get you what your lookin for.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
He uses a Keeley modded DS-1, though, so your $40 DS-1 won't get you what your lookin for.

In the last 4 years, yes he does use the Keeley...however, Steve has ALWAYS used a DS-1 as part of his lead tone...

...the entire Passion & Warfare album...yip...just the regular old crappy $40 DS-1

His DS-1 is unmodded, says his guitar tech.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by BeerChurch
In the last 4 years, yes he does use the Keeley...however, Steve has ALWAYS used a DS-1 as part of his lead tone...

...the entire Passion & Warfare album...yip...just the regular old crappy $40 DS-1

Early 90's boss pedal compared to a boss pedal today is a bit different i think

He also uses the Keeley TS9 Flexi pedal, iirc.

That Jemini demo is really cool. "you're an asshole" haha
Quote by Tubyboulin
Early 90's boss pedal compared to a boss pedal today is a bit different i think

He also uses the Keeley TS9 Flexi pedal, iirc.

That Jemini demo is really cool. "you're an asshole" haha

Get the Legacy along with the Jemini...throw a delay in the loop....YOUR SET!
Quote by BeerChurch
The clean channel is where he gets his usual crucnh rythm tone. He uses the "right" side of his pedal into the clean channel.

Not true. He uses the lead channel on the Legacy for both rhythm and leads. He has had a DS-1 and a Tubescreamer on his pedalboard for a while now. The DS-1 to tighten and beef up rhythm, and the TS for leads. I haven't seen his current rig, but I'm sure he's using the Jemini pedal the same way he was using the DS-1 and TS.

Quote by Archeo Avis
His DS-1 is unmodded, says his guitar tech.

I've heard that too. Word from his tech is that Vai has been using a stock DS-1 on tour for years.
Ya know...I think you're right...however...I think he uses the DS-1 as a lead boost on lead channel...and the TS as lead boost on the clean channel...

...no wait...he puts the peanut butter on first....or was that the jelly...I dunno...but he always uses bread...especially when there's no crackers....no wait...he may have switched to rolled flour tortillas......NO...that's not quite right either...

....anyhoo...

Vai is pretty good
Quote by Guitarmiester

I thought that. It's very smooth and dark, think 'Silver Jubilee with a towel over it'
One question about the rythm...Can it do something like Bad Horise? Because the rythm sound is fine in it so if the Legacy can pull it off im not going to be too disapointed i dont think
Yes. He uses the Boss DS-1 for Bad Horsie. Check out Bad Horsie on the Astoria DVD, you'll see when he switches the DS-1 on and off throughout the song for the rhythm parts.
So if i want to do that rythm sound, id just use either a DS-1 or the Right side of the Jemini? Simple enough

Ill try to pick up the Astoria DVD tommorow (pfft...like there will be anything left at the store by the time i wake up and go there)