Page 1 of 2
hey i dunno if this belongs in here but i just need some opinions. im turing a room into a music room and i was woundering what type of computer is better for recording. HP (windows) or MAC? im not too sure of the software out there for both but i just need to know from other peoples opinions. thanks
There's nothing wrong with HP. It really depends on what you want to use it for. In your case probably Mac.
Mac and logic studio is a great combination. Pro tools is good to have too.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
Both are used by plenty of professionals. Get whichever you're most comfortable using.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
If you want windows, there are plenty of quality recording programs for Windows. I would, however, suggest looking into a machine other than an HP.
I've used both. Both are great. I like the mac better but that's for other reasons. It has it's dowside. Lot's of things don't work on it. Which is a pain in the ass.

As far as recording goes they are both good. You need a good interface though. I use a MOTU ultralite firewire with my MAC and it is really really good I recommend that interface for the mac.

I used an M-Audio Audiophile 192 with my windows and it was average. Though the rest of my gear is better now so I could probably get it sounding pretty good now but don't have a PC anymore.

One big difference is the Mac comes with built in recording software - GarageBand but Windows comes with - I don't know what it comes with anymore spreadsheets? word processor?

Anyway you can get bootcamp on the mac which will run windows natively and any windows compatible products and software if that's the way you want to go.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
Windows comes with - I don't know what it comes with anymore spreadsheets? word processor?

Dude the Beatles used Microsoft Excel to record Abbey Road. The recording engineer really knew his sum formulas.
Quote by DreamScape
hey i dunno if this belongs in here but i just need some opinions. im turing a room into a music room and i was woundering what type of computer is better for recording. HP (windows) or MAC? im not too sure of the software out there for both but i just need to know from other peoples opinions. thanks

MMm well having been a HP user, and converting to MAC id have to say MAC definatly.... Mac's are seamless compared to the HP's for recording gear, plus you can run most programs on Mac's, unlike PC's, wherein if installed with Windows vista your basically screwed....

I just bought the new MacBook Pro last week, and love it for recording.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
wherein if installed with Windows vista your basically screwed.

Completely ridiculous. Vista is compatible with a huge range of recording software/hardware.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
get a pc, its much cheaper. doesn't have to be a HP, pc's are pc's, brand mean nothing.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Completely ridiculous. Vista is compatible with a huge range of recording software/hardware.

my band recorded out demo on vista
www.myspace.com/gaijinlondon
not one device or peice of software didn't work.
vista bashing is for the uneducated.
how many PCs can you plug a complex recording interface into and record studio quality work on a professional grade program?
A good amount but have fun loading drivers and buying different sound cards and blah blah blah.

How many Macs can do that?
All of them. And its almost universally plug and play.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Not really.... And even if it is it crashes alot..... Especially if your not running 32 bit vista.
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by sheumack111
Not really.... And even if it is it crashes alot..... Especially if your not running 32 bit vista.

failed again. I've only been bluescreened a handful of times because my graphics card fan wasn't working and was overheating (I didn't realise)
I have 32 and 64.

Macs are universal because of the complete lack of customisable hardware.
Quote by GaijinFoot
failed again. I've only been bluescreened a handful of times because my graphics card fan wasn't working and was overheating (I didn't realise)
I have 32 and 64.

Macs are universal because of the complete lack of customisable hardware.

No, Macs are universal because the operating system is based in Unix code. Easy as pie to write for.
And why do you need to customize something that already works so damn well?
Depends on what software you want to use. I've spent a lot of time using both. They're really very similar, except I have crashed a few Mac G5's and iMacs using Pro Tools quite a few times. Hasn't happened with Windows yet.
Quote by fusionsan
how many PCs can you plug a complex recording interface into and record studio quality work on a professional grade program?
A good amount but have fun loading drivers and buying different sound cards and blah blah blah.

How many Macs can do that?
All of them. And its almost universally plug and play.

Define "complex recording interface". Pro Tools HD systems are pretty bloody complex, and they work with both PCs and Macs equally.
Quote by sheumack111

nope, you fail again. i have vista 32 bit and have had 2 "crashes" that i blame entirely on leaving my computer on for too long (around 3-4 weeks without a reboot) i've owned my computer for over a year now. i think 2 crashes in a year with ANY os is superb. vista runs all my sound software with only one problem that i can think of that is entirely patchable. so, if you wanna hate on vista pick a valid reason. personally i find all my PC recording needs to be above and beyond met. or maybe you hate vista because your hardware is 10 years old and suited for windows 98?

TL;DR - use newer hardware if you want vista, old hardware will inevitably end up causing incompatability issues. if you must use old hardware, use an old OS /rant
Quote by BrickIsRed
Define "complex recording interface". Pro Tools HD systems are pretty bloody complex, and they work with both PCs and Macs equally.

I can take pretty much any Motu, PreSonus, Apogee, Mackie, or M-Audio interface out of the box, plug the thing into my macbook and open logic and have it run without the need to install drivers or go through hell to get the program to recognize the interface. Macs (in my own opinion) are the superior machine for recording work because it just is ready for most of the hardware anyone is going to throw at it. Logic studio is an amazingly intuitive program as well, unlike some other programs I've used. Perhaps I just am partial to Logic, but I wouldn't use anything else.
^ uh thats what i did on vista. i got a m audio mobile pre-usb, plugged it in, vista automatically installed the drivers and bam i was going. acid 6.0 and fruity loops both recognized it instantly. soooooooooo...... wheres your argument again about it being "difficult" to get audio recording working in vista?
Quote by fusionsan
I can take pretty much any Motu, PreSonus, Apogee, Mackie, or M-Audio interface out of the box, plug the thing into my macbook and open logic and have it run without the need to install drivers or go through hell to get the program to recognize the interface. Macs (in my own opinion) are the superior machine for recording work because it just is ready for most of the hardware anyone is going to throw at it. Logic studio is an amazingly intuitive program as well, unlike some other programs I've used. Perhaps I just am partial to Logic, but I wouldn't use anything else.

Thumbs up to Logic, but M-audio is only semi-professional. The A/D converters are pretty poor in comparison to, say, a Digidesign 003. Also, I've had M-audio's working with Windows machines in under a minute. That "plug'n'play" thing isn't Mac only.

I don't have experience with the other interfaces you listed, but it's not like someone will spontaneously bring one of those into a studio and hold a gun to your head to get them working in under five minutes. I wouldn't call installing drivers hell, really. At worst, you might have to reboot once, which takes around 3 minutes.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Thumbs up to Logic, but M-audio is only semi-professional. The A/D converters are pretty poor in comparison to, say, a Digidesign 003. Also, I've had M-audio's working with Windows machines in under a minute. That "plug'n'play" thing isn't Mac only.

I don't have experience with the other interfaces you listed, but it's not like someone will spontaneously bring one of those into a studio and hold a gun to your head to get them working in under five minutes. I wouldn't call installing drivers hell, really. At worst, you might have to reboot once, which takes around 3 minutes.

Yeah, you're absolutely right, M-Audio is absolute crap, but the rest are professional grade interfaces. And really the point is that all macs are compatible with each other and everything else. If I go outside the studio for work I rarely need to worry about being in a bind because I'm pretty much set no matter what I'm presented with.

Quote by z4twenny
^ uh thats what i did on vista. i got a m audio mobile pre-usb, plugged it in, vista automatically installed the drivers and bam i was going. acid 6.0 and fruity loops both recognized it instantly. soooooooooo...... wheres your argument again about it being "difficult" to get audio recording working in vista?

An m-audio mobile pre-usb is far from complex and acid 6.0 and fruityloops are far from professional grade. Most of your professional grade interfaces these days use FireWire 400 connections. How many PCs floating around have one of those on it?

Ill go ahead and say this again; This is my own personal opinion, and this is my reasoning behind my opinion. I'm not going to dare say that a PC is incapable of producing professional quality material, but there's a reason why a lot of professionals use Mac, and while a portion of that reason is personal preference, there is still a good portion that stems from practical reasoning.
Quote by fusionsan

An m-audio mobile pre-usb is far from complex and acid 6.0 and fruityloops are far from professional grade. Most of your professional grade interfaces these days use FireWire 400 connections. How many PCs floating around have one of those on it?

you.... you must be high.... and an elitist.

if acid 6.0 is far from professional grade why was acid widely used in the late 90's and early '00's?

if fruity loops is far from professional grade why does every hip hop studio on the planet have a copy?

as for firewire connections, if you bought a computer made in the last 2-3 years it has a firewire connection. i know mine does, i just didn't have $1,000 to spend on a firewire input at the time.
I have been a lifelong PC user and programmer, but a couple of months ago I got a
Macbook. Two thumbs up. It's great. I have Windows Vista installed on it too (in
case I want to do some work on it) which dual boots and/or runs under the MAC OS
as a subtask using Parallels desktop. Best of all worlds if you ask me.

I plug in my Korg Pandora 5XD into it and use Alberton Live and its a nice little recording
setup.
Quote by z4twenny
you.... you must be high.... and an elitist.

if acid 6.0 is far from professional grade why was acid widely used in the late 90's and early '00's?

if fruity loops is far from professional grade why does every hip hop studio on the planet have a copy?

as for firewire connections, if you bought a computer made in the last 2-3 years it has a firewire connection. i know mine does, i just didn't have $1,000 to spend on a firewire input at the time.

Hey man, no one is getting excited here, no need for name calling, that's just not cool.

Fruity loops is good, sure thing, but most of your producers these days are slinging around Reason, its a much more massively expandable system, and it can be used live. And as far as your Acid argument goes; I'm not so sure on the correctness of your claim that it was widely used by studios ever, but giving you the benefit of the doubt - by your logic, then, i should definitely go with the 96 civic over the 2007 altima because, well shucks, they were widely used in the late 90s and early 00s. Alright thats a little glib, but the point is; even if it did work well for the job at one point, we have things today that can do it better.
dont get a mac, mate they are overpriced trendy pcs. pc do all u need for better price, word. cheers
i have explored the sea
Quote by fusionsan
even if it did work well for the job at one point, we have things today that can do it better.

im just trying to figure out, how something does it THAT much better that it would go from professional to semi-professional? i mean, it records wav's at high k rates (i think acid 6 goes up to 150k range) it plays them back, it supports midi and plugins.... i'm really just wondering if you've ever used acid.

as for being an elitist, im not trying to be a jerk, i'm just being honest. if you think the only way to get a pro sounding recording is by spending 20k on a sound setup then i would call that elitest. is a $4000 interface going to sound better than a $200 interface? probably, is it going to sound THAT much better? maybe, maybe not, it depends on a lot of things. i've done the comparison and the m-audio interface i use is comparable to interfaces that are incredibly more expensive than it. is it comparable to a digidesign high end? no, not really but i don't run a recording studio, i have a home recording setup.
Quote by z4twenny
im just trying to figure out, how something does it THAT much better that it would go from professional to semi-professional? i mean, it records wav's at high k rates (i think acid 6 goes up to 150k range) it plays them back, it supports midi and plugins.... i'm really just wondering if you've ever used acid.

as for being an elitist, im not trying to be a jerk, i'm just being honest. if you think the only way to get a pro sounding recording is by spending 20k on a sound setup then i would call that elitest. is a $4000 interface going to sound better than a $200 interface? probably, is it going to sound THAT much better? maybe, maybe not, it depends on a lot of things. i've done the comparison and the m-audio interface i use is comparable to interfaces that are incredibly more expensive than it. is it comparable to a digidesign high end? no, not really but i don't run a recording studio, i have a home recording setup.

Yeah man, I've used acid. I used to rail that program back when i was a wee lad recording my first demos. And I suppose this is where we realize we're talking about two completely different things. I'm speaking as a professional, you're speaking as a home user. We require different things. I have the need to throw down decent amounts of coin for interfaces and you don't really. I agree with you on the fact that home users don't need really high quality equipment, but I've always been a fan of the notion that if you can afford to do something as well as it can be done, save up until you can.
PS:
The difference in signal between and 200 dollar and an even 800 dollar interface is MONUMENTAL. If there wasn't, dont you think studios all over the world would start buying M-Audio Pre-USBs?
this isnt the recording nerd forum so all technie geeks, computer nerds and other ppl that cant get laid roll on out to a gayer forum, natch
i have explored the sea
Quote by Deep-Sea-Seamus
this isnt the recording nerd forum so all technie geeks, computer nerds and other ppl that cant get laid roll on out to a gayer forum, natch

Hey man, you're really funny, can I be your friend? Will that make me cool too? Oh please let me be your friend and be funny and be cool like you, Oh golly it would make a poor, ugly, talentless, far-less-cool-than-you square like me oh so happy. Really.

It would mean a lot to me.

Really.
Quote by fusionsan
Hey man, you're really funny, can I be your friend? Will that make me cool too? Oh please let me be your friend and be funny and be cool like you, Oh golly it would make a poor, ugly, talentless, far-less-cool-than-you square like me oh so happy. Really.

It would mean a lot to me.

Really.

Relax a bit i can feel your rage through the internet
i have explored the sea
Last edited by Deep-Sea-Seamus at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by DreamScape

Mac for sure
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Mac for sure

Gonna have to disagree there guitar monkey a mac is just a overpriced trendy pc and if you were a nerd like me youd know that.
i have explored the sea
Quote by GuitarMunky
Mac for sure

Lol. Straight answer FTW.
^ i've listened personally to many different interfaces and honestly i could hear a difference, but not enough of one to warrant the $1000 difference between the interfaces.

i agree with you on the 'if you can afford to do something as well as it can be done" but why spend 8 months saving money for "the best money can afford" if you can buy something thats more than adequate and start making music right away. if i was going to open a studio and charge for recording time then no, i wouldn't expect people to come in and use a $200 m-audio interface. but if someone told me they had a home studio i wouldn't expect to go over to their place and see multiple rackmounts filled to the brim with compressors, effects racks, mixers, mic's and assorted other musical gear. i personally plan on getting better gear in the near future, but right now as it stands, i wouldn't personally feel bad about recording and selling with the gear i have as it stands. majority of people listen to mp3's and cd's with mp3's on them anyways so its rather unfortunate that incredibly pristine recordings get reduced down to piles of garbage due to awful compression.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i've listened personally to many different interfaces and honestly i could hear a difference, but not enough of one to warrant the $1000 difference between the interfaces.

i agree with you on the 'if you can afford to do something as well as it can be done" but why spend 8 months saving money for "the best money can afford" if you can buy something thats more than adequate and start making music right away. if i was going to open a studio and charge for recording time then no, i wouldn't expect people to come in and use a $200 m-audio interface. but if someone told me they had a home studio i wouldn't expect to go over to their place and see multiple rackmounts filled to the brim with compressors, effects racks, mixers, mic's and assorted other musical gear. i personally plan on getting better gear in the near future, but right now as it stands, i wouldn't personally feel bad about recording and selling with the gear i have as it stands. majority of people listen to mp3's and cd's with mp3's on them anyways so its rather unfortunate that incredibly pristine recordings get reduced down to piles of garbage due to awful compression.

a mac cant make better quality. pc is better, cheaper most ballingest way to do it.
i have explored the sea
Quote by z4twenny

Well that entire paragraph is why I prefer to use Logic studio. Why use rack gear when i can use a program that does all that digitally? Anyway man, its all a question of personal preference when it comes down to it. Everyone is free to use whatever the choose to use. Really its like a question of Trojan vs. Durex. In the end, it doesn't really matter as long as no one gets pregnant.
Quote by fusionsan
Well that entire paragraph is why I prefer to use Logic studio. Why use rack gear when i can use a program that does all that digitally? Anyway man, its all a question of personal preference when it comes down to it. Everyone is free to use whatever the choose to use. Really its like a question of Trojan vs. Durex. In the end, it doesn't really matter as long as no one gets pregnant.

yea it matters, pc is better and cheaper NATCH
i have explored the sea
Quote by Deep-Sea-Seamus
yea it matters, pc is better and cheaper NATCH

What is "Natch"?
Page 1 of 2