ok i got a guitar a couple weeks ago and have just been messin around with it, anyone want to tell me how i should get started learning?
Buy an instructional book for beginners, or if you aren't dedicated enough to teach yourself, invest in some lessons.
I got a book called "Guitar 1" for my first one, and it was reeeaally basic, but it helped. Then I got the sequel "Guitar 2" and that kinda got me started. That is, if you want to learn how to read music, which you should, because tabs are great, but kinda limited. If you ever wanna learn any theory and start writing your own stuff, you'll be happy if you can already read sheet music. I'm sure there are dozens of other good books out there, though.
It really isn't that hard. It just follows a pattern, and once you figure that out, learning the rest of the theory isn't nearly as hard. But make sure you learn some cool songs to start out, too, cause otherwise you'll just get sick of theory and get discouraged.
Quote by lowbudgetband
Buy an instructional book for beginners, or if you aren't dedicated enough to teach yourself, invest in some lessons.

I agree but its not always dedication to teaching yourself, people learn in different ways, all of us learn best a certain way, for some people thats self teaching but for others (Like Me) its learning something by seeing and being taught by others.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor