Page 1 of 3
ok ladies and gentlemen, I am an 18 year old canadian male (alberta), and in the next year i will be apprenticing as a welder and making a fair amount of cashola. A few weeks ago, on a drunken tangent mind you, my friend and I decided that it would be a spectacular idea if we both went on vacation to somewhere in england next year. We are not sure where, though my buddy has a friend in liverpool who he played rugby against, and still talks to. I have not yet had the good fortune to play any touring teams yet, so I have no hookups abroad. Anyways, I figure I can save up between 5 and 7 grand canadian, not sure of the conversion to british pounds and the questions I have are as follows:

where in the uk (preferrably england somewhere) should we look at going?

how much does a mid level hotel/motel/lodging of some sort cost over there?

how expensive is beer in comparison to canada?

do english girls like canadian boys? this one is important, as we hope to be on a continuous bender over there and I hope to get a lady with an accent to play with my junk.

what is the legal drinking/ gambeling limit over there?

taking all my drinking and eating and lodging expenses into account, will my 5-7 large be enough to cover it atleast 10 days over there?

what the hell is there to do during the day while we're recovering from the drink?

thank you to all the limey bastards who will reply to this, if i catch you in a bar abroad I will repay your kindness and wisdom with a pint.

EDIT---
Ok so I think we are going to stay in the northern area, based on the feedback it would be the most economical thing to do, and according to some members, there are universities there... and that means young chicks. We will rent a car to waste some time in london and do the touristy things, but we still will need touristy things to do. We want to catch a rugby match, as well as be continuously drunk. All the feedback is appreciated and everyones opinion as well as point of view is strongly taken into consideration. keep the posts coming.
Quote by darksauce
EmeraldXecution, you are awesome.

Balls to the Walls
Last edited by EmeraldXecution at Nov 25, 2008,
bring me maltesers.

lots of maltesers

ALL THE MALTESERS! BRING THEM TO ME!

Edit: go to london, and then if you have the extry cash rent a car and head up north. Stay in a small town with lots of sheep, preferably surrounded by great big rolling hills. England has a lovely countryside, completely different from what we're used to over here. The scenery nearly made up for the fact that most of the people i met there were judgmental humbugs who thought i was a moron because i'm american.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Last edited by humperdunk at Nov 24, 2008,
your post was extremely irrelevant to my questions. thank you for that
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
Quote by EmeraldXecution
your post was extremely irrelevant to my questions. thank you for that

yeah sorry... i edited it.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
you seem to like beer
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Come to Newcastle. It's cheap, easy going and full of slags.
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
Go somewhere cheaper and more interesting
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
Alright man,

Here is some help.

1, Go to London if you insist on England. But both Ireland and Scotland (Edinburgh) are much much much better.

2. Hotels can vary drastically depending on where you are. IN cities they cost a lot - London could easily be upwards of 150 canadian a night. Hostels can be much much cheaper if you dont mind those kinda things...could be like 60-70 canadian a night.

3. Beer again varies depening on the city but id say a pint in your average pub runs about 6 dollars.

4. I guess it depends on the boy...are you an ugly annoying bastard for example. Its not as good as the great way that american/canadian girls like scottish or irish guys. But you may be in with a chance anyway. Particularly if you are not bothered about the calibre of girl you pick up.

5 18.

6. easily...in fact if you were intent on blowing it all you could live in a pretty swanky hotel and eat out fancily all week.

7. Depends on where you are...but as you are considering a whole nation theres pretty much everything to do.

8. You are welcome. IM me if you want more info...

Cheers.
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
Quote by WattsyBoy97
you seem to like beer

in canada all we do is drink and play hockey

the stereotypes are actually there for a reason

and where abouts is newcastle? lots of ladies? **** to do during the day? cheap livin'?
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
the only place worth visiting is London. you should really go some place nicer, like France or Spain.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Come to London, it's full of tourists to throw things at...
Uhm...

Alcohol-wise, you're looking at about £1 a can (around 440ml to a pint) and in a pubs about £2,50-3 per pint
During the day, just keep drinking, it's a British thing to do
I'm not sure about the girls, but I know us English men love Canadian guys...
ohai little sig.
Quote by A8039077

I agree.

Cheap accomodation. Kickass nightlife. Plus lots of students (myself included ).

Everyone one of my weekends here is a 3 day long bender.

EDIT and yes, full of slags.
Last edited by steee21 at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by A8039077

erm..
well beer over here at an average is about £3 a pint?
so whatever that equates to...

b&b's are generally cheaper than hotels..unless you stay in a welcome hotel or one of the other many cheap ones

i dont know how many girls like canadian guys?

as for what to do in the day...erm...well it depends whereabouts you are in the UK
scotland is gorgeous, so theres lots of travelling to do there..coastal towns generally have a good social life ..and nice beaches
the rest of it is just...well...england?

hope this helps a tiny bit..?
Quote by Demonikk
Come to London, it's full of tourists to throw things at...
Uhm...

Alcohol-wise, you're looking at about £1 a can (around 440ml to a pint) and in a pubs about £2,50-3 per pint
During the day, just keep drinking, it's a British thing to do
I'm not sure about the girls, but I know us English men love Canadian guys...

lolwut
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
thanks dave, the advice is much appreciated. I have contemplated ireland as well as scotland, and have decided that I want to go to those places as well, just when I have more money and such. Are the touristy things actually any good? like buckingham palace and big ben and all that junk? to be completely honest with you guys, all i wanna do is ride one of them double decker busses, get plastered with soccer holligans, and knock boots with an english girl. but me and my mate need somethin to keep us occupied during the days. so lets say london, are there good day trips somewhere i should think of going?

edit: ok so im thinking i have narrowed it down to england somewhere. either london or liverpool? From what I have heard from people is that England is fuckin small and everything is like driving distance fro,m each other. Is this prettymuch true or are they feeding me bollocks?
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
Last edited by EmeraldXecution at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by steee21
I agree.

Cheap accomodation. Kickass nightlife. Plus lots of students (myself included ).

Everyone one of my weekends here is a 3 day long bender.

EDIT and yes, full of slags.

That better be Newcastle Uni. Remember, the poly are scum
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

Quote by EmeraldXecution
thanks dave, the advice is much appreciated. I have contemplated ireland as well as scotland, and have decided that I want to go to those places as well, just when I have more money and such. Are the touristy things actually any good? like buckingham palace and big ben and all that junk? to be completely honest with you guys, all i wanna do is ride one of them double decker busses, get plastered with soccer holligans, and knock boots with an english girl. but me and my mate need somethin to keep us occupied during the days. so lets say london, are there good day trips somewhere i should think of going?

a lot of the touristy stuff is pretty lame, the only tourist attractions I really liked where the Tower of London and the British Museum, if you only do one tourist type thing go to the British Museum it's pretty awesome.

Oh and you really don't want to drink with soccer hooligans, trust me.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well touristy **** is just that..so if you like it then i guess its ok. Iut you can do must of the main tourist attractions in a day..since i gdoubt you will want to spend loads of time in them.

London is however a massive city so there is some awesome **** going on. THere are tons of live bands playing at nights..theres the theatre if you like shows, some good museums too if you like em - natural history and science museum are cool.

Theres a big jazz scene there....and some excellent music stores.

I mean its like 8 million folk and tons of square footage so you won;t be short of **** to pass the time. Just don;t dwell too long on the general tourist trappery. The city can be f-ing expensive though.

THere are a ton of girls included in that 8 million...and many from international locations...so it shouldn't be completely impossible to find some who are drunk enough to bone a couple of wasted canucks.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
a lot of the touristy stuff is pretty lame, the only tourist attractions I really liked where the Tower of London and the British Museum, if you only do one tourist type thing go to the British Museum it's pretty awesome.

Oh and you really don't want to drink with soccer hooligans, trust me.

+1
Check out a few films like Footbal Factory, Green Street and Mean Machine for a view of the average British football hooligan
Make sure you go Denmark Street though
ohai little sig.
ill keep the museam thing in mind, im always up for an artsy fartsy affair. One of the whole reasons i want to see england is for the soccer hooligans.
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
Quote by A8039077
That better be Newcastle Uni. Remember, the poly are scum

Nah im a Poly.

Fucking Rah.
That's funny, because I was talking to another guy on this fourm who's moving from the UK to Alberta.

It's like a trade.
Quote by EmeraldXecution
One of the whole reasons i want to see england is for the soccer hooligans.

Well carry a crate of Stella Artois and a few ethic minorites with you in case you get chased and need to distract them
ohai little sig.
Well....the problem with soccer hooligans is they tend to come from a certain mindset...and generally won't take to kindly to foreigners...so it may be worth your while just watching them on TV... but yeah definitely take in a footaball match if you are there at the right time of year..its a great experience.

As I said before...look into Scotland or Ireland before you make your choice....most people I know who have travelled there prefer them to London.
Quote by steee21
Nah im a Poly.
Fucking Rah.

Lol, the poly is for people with BTECs.

Poly Scum - 'But they're the same as A-Levels!'
Me and other Rah's - 'Erm, no they're not'

...your union is so much nicer than ours
Quote by dudius

to get from the top to bottom of the uk its about a 16 hour drive. so everything in between is close-ish..?
Quote by A8039077
Lol, the poly is for people with BTECs.

Poly Scum - 'But they're the same as A-Levels!'
Me and other Rah's - 'Erm, no they're not'

...your union is so much nicer than ours

The hell's a BTEC?

And yeah our Union has been all done up and that. Although i havent been yet this year.

How'd that there Rugby game go this year anyway?
sargasm I have no intentions on staying in england, only wanna have a vacation and take in some culture etc etc. the money in the pipeline is too good to leave.

I wouldn't mind taking in a match, but I hear that can be expensive as hell. The soccer holligan thing doesn't bother me too much, ive seen some crazy **** over here for hockey fans. I figure if i decide to head into a pub with the nutjob soccer fans, ill probably do my homework and wear their team colors, if not a team sweater.

dave, Im probably certain that I would love ireland and scotland more than england, which is why I am going to wait until I have a ****ton of cash kickin around before I go gallavanting off to kiss the blarney stone or whatever its called. Plus i have a thing for redheads, so ireland is definately on the list.
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
Quote by steee21

And yeah our Union has been all done up and that. Although i havent been yet this year.

How'd that there Rugby game go this year anyway?

Rah's lost if i remember rightly. My flatmate ****ed up his groin in that match (or may be another match - i don't follow rugby, it's a bit, well, crap)
Quote by dudius

thats another thing i'm curious about, how big is rugby over there? would a match be cheaper to attend than a soccer match? I have played a bit of rugby over here as a 10 and 13, but only for a couple of years. where would I have to go to take in a high class match?
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
Quote by EmeraldXecution
ill keep the museam thing in mind, im always up for an artsy fartsy affair. One of the whole reasons i want to see england is for the soccer hooligans.

if you want to see the hooligans, get a registered terrace guide and whatever you do DONT FEED THEM.

seriously, do you think there are just hordes of skinheads running around beating the **** out of eachother? they arent wildebeest. dont get your hopes up...

and if you are planning on going to london, take a lot of cash. 2.50 for a pint is a very conservative estimate. try closer to 4. even higher in the clubs.

also, dont make eye contact or talk to people. that doesnt go down well in the capital.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by EmeraldXecution
thats another thing i'm curious about, how big is rugby over there? would a match be cheaper to attend than a soccer match? I have played a bit of rugby over here as a 10 and 13, but only for a couple of years. where would I have to go to take in a high class match?

Rugby is much cheaper, but i don't know how much. Football (soccer) is HUGE here (as it is in most the world except North America...heh). Football matches have a way better atmosphere though - it's electric.
Quote by dudius

If you're going for a good time ignore the people saying London. The people are dicks and everything is 5 times more expensive than anywhere else. Seriously London is really really expensive. If your mate knows someone I say go to Liverpool... great nightlife and the people are really friendly. Manchester is better but it's just 30 miles away from Liverpool so you could do both. 5000 CAD works out about just over £2500. If you went to the North West of England (Liverpool / Manchester way) then this is enough for a month of non stop action while staying somewhere nice. Don't worry about getting some action fver here either because English women are dirty sluts (but in the good way lol).

edit - noticed you like rugby - 8 miles off Liverpool is St. Helens Rugby League club. St. Helens is a **** hole but you can catch a game or two. It's pretty cheap to watch rugby - about half the price of football.

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
dude every story I have ever heard involving soccer holligans has ended with a fist fight. Not that I'm advicating my desire to get drunk and brawl with some dude, but I wouldn't mind getting drunk and singin' some drinking songs, playing drinking games, dirty jokes, and learning how to swear in "english english." So I figure the best way to do that is to get an in with some holligans.

ok so i did the conversion, and 4 pounds for a beer is rougly about 7 canuck-bucks. thats about the same as the strip clubs here. Though you can get a pitcher of draught for about 7 pounds.
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
Quote by EmeraldXecution
dude every story I have ever heard involving soccer holligans has ended with a fist fight. Not that I'm advicating my desire to get drunk and brawl with some dude, but I wouldn't mind getting drunk and singin' some drinking songs, playing drinking games, dirty jokes, and learning how to swear in "english english." So I figure the best way to do that is to get an in with some holligans.

ok so i did the conversion, and 4 pounds for a beer is rougly about 7 canuck-bucks. thats about the same as the strip clubs here. Though you can get a pitcher of draught for about 7 pounds.

If you want a good sing-along football style.

Attend the pub/bar before the game, have a drink or 2, go to the game with a group of people from the area, have a laugh, celebrate if they win, go back to the pub/bar, get wasted and have a party/join the supporters in misery

I also suggest you visit Edinburgh when you have more money, lovely city.
You can get £1 a beer in some places in Liverpool/Manchester. The average is about £2.50 though. Most of the strip clubs are £10 in and a free lap dance. I've been going to Man City football games for over 10 years and only seen hooliganism twice in that entire time by the way.

Quote by jmilli2
If you're going for a good time ignore the people saying London. The people are dicks and everything is 5 times more expensive than anywhere else. Seriously London is really really expensive. If your mate knows someone I say go to Liverpool... great nightlife and the people are really friendly. Manchester is better but it's just 30 miles away from Liverpool so you could do both. 5000 CAD works out about just over £2500. If you went to the North West of England (Liverpool / Manchester way) then this is enough for a month of non stop action while staying somewhere nice. Don't worry about getting some action fver here either because English women are dirty sluts (but in the good way lol).

edit - noticed you like rugby - 8 miles off Liverpool is St. Helens Rugby League club. St. Helens is a **** hole but you can catch a game or two. It's pretty cheap to watch rugby - about half the price of football.

everything in this post makes me glad I asked the pit for advice
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
Quote by jmilli2
You can get £1 a beer in some places in Liverpool/Manchester. The average is about £2.50 though. Most of the strip clubs are £10 in and a free lap dance. I've been going to Man City football games for over 10 years and only seen hooliganism twice in that entire time by the way.

my bad on the double post, but we have dollar beer over here as well, but theres always a catch. Its the bottom of the keg stuff, and its super disgusting. Getcha drunk, but you'll hate yourself for it. same kinda deal over there im assuming? I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT BRITISH STRIPPERS?!@$ this gives me even more of a reason to go there. here you can't even touch the strippers, just toss loonies at the beef curtains lmao.
Quote by darksauce

Balls to the Walls
You can't touch the strippers here either. The whore houses cost about £40 if you're desperate though lol.

Page 1 of 3