So, I have been playing guitar for myself for a while now, and have always tolerated my tone, as it is mainly me alone at home playing (plus I play alot of acoustic anyway, so my electric doesn't always get the play time it deserves) but I have recently joined my school's jazz band, and have found that my tone doesn't blend at all, and that I am sort of ashamed of it.

Since I am not very well versed in Amps/Preamps/effects or anything like that (Dunlop crybaby is my only effect :/) I was wondering, what is the cheapest and easiest way to change the tone of my guitar?

Unfortunately, I am saving up for a really nice acoustic, so a nice amp, or a ton of effects are out of my price limit, though Christmas is coming up so you never know.

I have a ****ty Strat copy, and the amp isn't really that good at all. Should I just get a new amp, or will a preamp be better for it?

I play a TON of different styles, from Funk to Jazz to Blues to Classical, and you all know how many different sounds are needed for that, so I was thinking an EQ or a preamp. But yeah, what is the cheapest/easiest way to make my tone the way it should be?

Thanks in advanced,
ReChord
Except for classical which uses nylon acoustics, the styles you listed all use low-gain amps. Get a nice clean amp with some tweakability in the EQ. Amps are the primary component of your tone, and that's where your money should be focused.

Pre-Amps are for when you want a separate distortion from the one your amp has, or when you wish to buy your pre-amp and power-amp separately. Neither case applies to you.
Well the best way to improve your tone is to get a new amp, I know you don't want that answer but it's the truth. How much are you willing spend? You could get an amp that's better than your current one if you're willing to go used.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
New amp, or an EQ pedal.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Screw blending in? You could try a new amp, second hand Roland JC120's go for very cheap sometimes if you're lucky.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Yeah we would need to know your current gear in order to help you. We also need a budget.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Used Roland JC120. You'll blend in perfectly
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Why do people recommend gear without even knowing what the thread starter's budget is?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, he's already said he can't buy a nice amp, so I would say any amp is out of the question. We should evaulate what gear he has, and how he's using it.

Well depending on what he currently has and what his budget is he could potentially improve his tone a lot since he just needs something low gain.

But I agree, we should try to help his tone with his current gear before telling him to spend money.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Sure he could open up his amp and change some caps and resistors, his speaker etc but it's not as easy as a new amp. I assume he has tried EQing, and other people have suggested EQ pedals etc.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.