Why is it that the strings on my acoustic guitar seem quite hard to fret? i mean, the tension on the strings seem too high..the action is pretty low, i use rotosound .011-.52's and i'm always on standard tuning.. it's easier to play on my cheap 'no name' acoustic compared to this one.. can someone give me tips on how i can solve this? do i need to adjust anything?
i don't want to use my cheap acoustic anymore because it sounds like crap..while this acoustic that i'm having problems with has a relatively good sound.. thanks for the help guys!
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
What kind of guitar do you have? Did your old crap acoustic have nylon strings on it? If you are transitioning from classical to steel string fretting will seem much harder. Just like people who transition from electric to acoustic, it will take time as your fingers build up strength. In fact, many professional musicians write and practice their songs to perfection on acoustic before taking it to their electric and adding in all of the effects.

I've never heard of Rotosound strings. Did you get them from a shop or are they a supermarket/convienence store brand? If they are a supermarket brand, get to your nearest guitar shop and buy some quality strings. D'Addario or Martin strings are some of the best out there for sound and playability.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
rotosound are also good quality strings.. you can check it out here in the forum, i think many also use them.. although i tried using d'addario phosphor bronze before, they just seem to loose their brightness quickly..
anyway, both my acoustics are steel stringed ones and i put the same kind of strings on both.. my current acoustic is an ibanez AEG (i know, some may say it's a crappy brand.. let's just set that aside.. i own it and for the price i paid, i'm really happy with it.. )
i've also been playing for 5 years but only got this guitar around 1 1/2 years ago..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
that's just poor fretwork on ibanez's part, or for any guitar thats hard to fret, it's just poor fretwork.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Well...it IS an ibanez.

I've actually never seen Rotosound around where I live, and I was just at my local shop. Are they not in the US or does my local shop just more than likely not carry them? It's been ages since I've gotten to make a GC run, so I wouldn't know if mine has them.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
is it just fret issues?.. why?.. it's not buzzing.. how can the frets be the problem sir?.. or has it got something to do with the nut and saddles?.. because even though it's ibanez, hell it's a lot better in terms of quality and craftsmanship compared to my other cheap acoustic and yet the cheap one seems easier to fret.. by the way, to get things clear, when i say fret, i mean when i press of the strings onto the fingerboard..

i dunno if they sell rotosound worldwide but i'm sure they're also quality strings.. they're just slightly less costly than the d'addarios but almost within the same price range.. i live in the philippines.. here's a picture of they're strings, it's also the one i use..

Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I'll have to look for those on my next GC run, whenever that is

TS, my suggestion would be to take your guitar into a shop and have a luthier look at it. We can give you a good general diagnosis, but your local luth will be able to give you a detailed analysis as well as being able to fix it (if it is at all fixable).
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
well.. i took it to the shop where i bought it and they didn't do anything.. they said it was fine.. though i never also paid for anything.. but i'm still not contented with how the tension feels.. i bought the guitar ok but as time passed the strings became quite hard to press.. oh well.. tough luck..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Have you changed the strings recently? Old strings tend to be harder to fret than fresh ones.

Oh, and sorry. I forgot that you were the TS. I agree that it doesn't make much sense that the crap acoustic would be more playable. I don't like Ibanez acoustics, but they are better than some guitars.

Have you been playing electric alot more than acoustic or do you play them both fairly evenly? By that I mean is your daily acoustic playing time about the same as your daily electric playing time?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i went into acoustic playing before going to electrics.. i've had the guitar for around 2 years now and almost twice a week i use it in church during mass.. aside from that, i regularly practice with it so i'm very much bonded with my ibanez acoustic.. i also change strings regularly because i want them to be always bright and not rusty.. i really take good care of it..

i just got a PRS SE standard this month and my transition from electric to acoustic is not very hard since i've had the guitar for quite some time.. i still regularly use my acoustic.. do i need to adjust anything to fix this?.. it's as if the tuning machines are pulling the strings too tight..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
do you know how high end guitars usually are easier to fret than lower end guitars?

that's fretwork, or at least what i meant by fretwork. good fretwork means it's easier to press down.

nuts and saddles are for how well your guitar will sustain the sound and what kind of power or something goes into the guitar. i'm not sure how to put it into words but that's pretty much how i think it works. also the saddle and the action are one and one. most common method of lowering action is by sanding the bottom of the saddle
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by Natrone
Well...it IS an ibanez.

I've actually never seen Rotosound around where I live, and I was just at my local shop. Are they not in the US or does my local shop just more than likely not carry them? It's been ages since I've gotten to make a GC run, so I wouldn't know if mine has them.

I resent that ibanez comment
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
^Well Ibanez acoustics are generally looked down upon around here. The electrics are fine, the jury is still out on the acoustics. Personally I don't like them all that much.

This is just confusing me. I can't come up with ANYTHING that could be the source of your problem. I don't get it. Maybe you'll get some help from Captivate, LeftyDave, or Jimtaka somtime soon. Sorry, but I'm confuddled
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
sure Natrone.. thanks for the help anyway.. to all those who replied, thanks too.. i'll wait for some answers to this problem.. hehe.. hopefully someone knows how.. because in our place, a guitar store or tech is quite far.. so i would appreciate it if i could do something on my own.. thanks guys..

i know ibanez acoustics has some issues.. but hey, i'm not a professional musician.. i'm only a hobbyist so a fairly high end guitar would be out of my budget.. i'll try to preserve this guitar and make it better.. i do believe that if it is quite crap, it's a little ok instead of those super cheap ones..

About, thanks for that info on fretwork.. i didn't know it was called that way.. i'll keep that in mind.. i thought fretwork was how the frets are.. like if they are sharp or not sanded properly.. hehe..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R