I just got a pack of jazz III's and they are so small that it is awkward to use them... is it worth getting used to their size or should i just use my old tortex picks?
dude they are like the same size
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
no they arent...when i started useing them i noticed that because of how small they are they helped me become more accurate
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Last edited by albinokrikit at Nov 25, 2008,
im holding a jazz 3 and a tortex .88 and they are seriously like almost identical
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
dude they are like the same size

These picks are small as **** compared to standard picks dude trust me

Are you sure you dont have the jumbo jazz III's?
I'm warning you right now:

once you get used to the Jazz III's, you will NEVER switch picks ever again.

if i use a regular fender medium, or a tortex, i feel like im using a friggin oar, or some **** like that.

jazz III's > all.
hes not talking about if its light or heavy hes talking about the surface area of it
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
I've been using the jazz stubbies forever now, the 3mm ones. I can't use anything else now.
Quote by Fender52604

if i use a regular fender medium, or a tortex, i feel like im using a friggin oar, or some **** like that.

jazz III's > all.

...everything you just said is so tru lol
Quote by aig91

Quote by neptune1988
i think i just have small tortexs.....
and he was talkin about the surface area
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
It is absolutely worth it. I've been using them for years now. Once your completely comfortable with them, every riff becomes like putting on a worn in shoe. Just dont get used to them, then switch. It's a bitch to have to relearn. For me anyways.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Say goodbye to asking people if they have extra picks once you get into Jazz III's. Seriously, ever since I've started using them around a year ago I have had to carry a few with me wherever I went. It's well worth it though
all in all... USE JAZZ PICKS
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I used jazz III's for a couple of weeks and didn't like them for powerchords/chords at all! They where way to small, so the fingers on my picking hand kept hitting the strings. Although I liked them for solos and just slow single note things. I use Dunlop Tortex .88 now
I love jazz III's they are all i use playing guitar. When i play bass, i tend to use the dunlop 1.5 gator grips. Either way i only use those 2 picks.
I've used Jazz III ever since i started playing guitar.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
You think IIIs are small? Try the Jazz I then. It's even smaller and the only thing I'll touch.

But to answer your question: Try them for a couple of days. I find small picks make tremolo picking easier and more accurate. But generally, use what feels best to you.
a pick won't make you a good guitarist. use what is comfortable to you, listen to nobody else because they aren't you and don't know what you are comfortable with.

as for me, i hate how small they are. i drop the if i start to REALLY jam or if i try and do some strumming. i stick with some fender heavies or w/e is on hand at the time. not too picky.
Don't know if this has been said, but please please please, do yourself the favor and practice with only the Jazz III for like 5 days. After that, switch back to your old pick and it will feel like you're holding a big, clumsy, inarticulate 2x4. The Jazz III takes a bit of time to get used to, but like others have said, if you give it a little love, you'll never want to play with another pick again.
use the black jazz III's, not the red ones.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by thomaserak
use the black jazz III's, not the red ones.

the difference being?...
III's are sick dude. i got some old ones and i read this thread today and picked them up and started playing. its not much more difficult just a bit for like chordy type things but its cleaner.
i just bought some jazz lll and i have the same feeling, bc they seem way too small, but im going to get used to them
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
i've always preferred jazz picks and the jazz 3's are the best of the bunch. but i think its all about comfort if they dont feel right, dont use them
Quote by Giles92
the difference being?...

the red ones are thinner, and thin picks are for girly-men.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by thomaserak
the red ones are thinner, and thin picks are for girly-men.

They also do not have the grip thingy that the black ones do. (You know those little dots).
Quote by Fender52604

jazz III's > all.

I've heard of many people who used jazz IIIs that switched to v-picks. Even a 40 year guitarist who loved his jazz IIIs until he tried a v-pick.

Also, tortex picks are smaller (surface area wise) than a "normal" sized pick. So are Jazz III's. They are about the same size.