this thread has an emphasis on the clairification of the theory and structure of microtonal chord progressions. share your experiences and feelings on the subject. other interesting chord progression posts are welcome.
do you have any examples of microtonal chord progressions? or is this just a shot in the dark?

here's a site that has some crazy stuff http://strasheela.sourceforge.net/strasheela/doc/StrasheelaExamples.html
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I was under the impression that micro tones were used as embellishment, like slides and other such ornamentation. How the **** does one apply them harmonically?

Wouldn't that require an entirely new harmonic system?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas
I was under the impression that micro tones were used as embellishment, like slides and other such ornamentation. How the **** does one apply them harmonically?

Wouldn't that require an entirely new harmonic system?

yeah its like doing a slight bend or pushing down the string hard on the fret, at least that what I've thought for ages.

And heres what Wiki has to say!

Microtonal music may refer to all music which contains intervals smaller than the conventional contemporary Western semitone. The term implies music containing very small intervals but can include any tuning that differs from the western 12 tone equal temperament.
I think it'd produce an interesting sound if you detuned like two strings slightly. Is there any music containing anything like that?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Greg Ginn, guitarist of American hardcore punk band Black Flag, made use of microtonal intervals. An example of a song containing microtonal music is "Damaged II," from 1981's Damaged LP. Another is "Police Story," most versions of which end in a cadence played a quarter-tone sharp.[citation needed]

Apparently, black flag!
Quote by cyclesurge0n
this thread has an emphasis on the clairification of the theory and structure of microtonal chord progressions. share your experiences and feelings on the subject. other interesting chord progression posts are welcome.

i heard somewhere (forgot where) that a dominant seventh chord is actually supposed to have the b7 slightly lowered in pitch.
i dont know how to lower the note of a chord, besides detuning the string, so im just gonna stick with "normal" western music.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
The "barbershop seventh" chord, or harmonic 7th i think its called, is a dominant with a slightly raised 7th. Try this
-4----
-3b-
------
-----
-----
-0---

experiment how much you need to bend the D note. Its less than a semitone, and nearly every spot sounds awful except for the proper one, which sounds amazing.
Quote by Freepower
^ Barbershop is sung in just intonation. (iirc!)
Same with all acapella bands. Just intonation is heaps easier to sing.

*continues to lurk thread*
I sometimes use Audacity to produce very simple chord progressions using the concept of just intonation. (Because you can create tones by simply entering the desired frequency, for those that don't use Audacity).
They are useless. Maybe they can be used in a hundred years where a legion of theoretician will have established a new harmonic system for them. Now if you produce such a song everyone will change the radio station once is on. No one is ready for this.
Quote by Freepower
You're very fond of this "useless" word, aren't you?

Yes, because I am very pragmatic. One thing is either useful or useless. The worst breed of humans where hippies because they made themselfs useless.

Well, microtonality achieves a certain sound. Therefore it's useful as far as I'm concerned. If you want to black and white **** up like that you're going to have come up with solid definitions of what makes something "useful" or "useless".

Otherwise you're just gonna start useless fights everywhere, and the answer will always be

________ achieves a certain sound. Therefore it's useful as far as I'm concerned.

and it'll take a ****load of flaming to reach that obvious conclusion.
Quote by JamesDouglas
I think it'd produce an interesting sound if you detuned like two strings slightly. Is there any music containing anything like that?

i think it'd sound like two strings were out of tune. but that's just me.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by Rasputin92
Yes, because I am very pragmatic. One thing is either useful or useless. The worst breed of humans where hippies because they made themselfs useless.
Your own greed makes others "the worst breed of humans"? They had a different mindset - one that may just be more "human" than yours which may make them a better human.

Edit: wtf? http://strasheela.sourceforge.net/strasheela/doc/Example-MicrotonalChordProgression.html (link from above but at microtonal progression page)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by thomaserak
i think it'd sound like two strings were out of tune. but that's just me.

Choruuuuus!
EDIT: To thomaserak

^lol

Yeah, it obviously wont be everyone's cup of tea. I'm just bored with normal tonality is all.
Quote by metal4all
Your own greed makes others "the worst breed of humans"? They had a different mindset - one that may just be more "human" than yours which may make them a better human.

Your headline surely makes me take you seriously.
Quote by Rasputin92
Your headline surely makes me take you seriously.
That's a great way to judge a person. Congrats
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
That's a great way to judge a person. Congrats

It's the only way if you are hidding behind a screen.
Quote by Rasputin92
It's the only way if you are hidding behind a screen.
Or you can judge actions. In this case, the only actions are our posts. If someone posts a lot of stupid comments, you can come to the conclusion that they are probably stupid, but if someone stupid has a user title saying they love everyone, would that make them someone that's worth having an opinion? Screw off. I'm going to quit spamming for TS (sorry )

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥