What is the most common or correct spray paint that I should use flat or satin? I'm unsure which is best for guitar bodies.
if you want the look of a standard body you're most likely going to want to use nitrocellulose lacquer. spray bombs are okay if you dont have a gun. check out this site

http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm
and
reranch.com/reranch

there is really a whole process to it you can read up at the above site but basically it goes

grain filler
sand & sealer
primer
color
clear

multiple coats/applications of each usually with sanding between every single or every other coat. After the last clear is put on the lacquer has to cure (4-6 weeks depending on the environment it's in) to be hard enough to wetsand/buff/polish for a final go. By the way, it may seem like a lot, but if you TAKE YOUR TIME and READ A LOT it really pretty easy to get a better than factory finish.
at the spray bomb inference.

To the TS, I would definitely go for the lacquer. I'm refinishing two guitars, one with lacquer and one with enamel, and the lacquer is MUCH easier to get a quality finish out of.
Quote by lumberjack
at the spray bomb inference.

To the TS, I would definitely go for the lacquer. I'm refinishing two guitars, one with lacquer and one with enamel, and the lacquer is MUCH easier to get a quality finish out of.

You mean for the clearcoat? Yeah i was kinda wondering about that too if i should use a laquer clearcoat or the regular enamel. But my main question was concerning the base paint, beacuse i have a choice between either flat, satin or semi gloss base paint. I don't want to choose the wrong paint style.
If you want a glossy finish do glossy paint.

Always use lacquer if it is from a rattle can.

Do a lot of reading.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
If you want a glossy finish do glossy paint.

Always use lacquer if it is from a rattle can.

Do a lot of reading.

Yeah it's from rattle can spray paints.
Pizza The Hut we have yet to hear what kind of finish you actually WANT. Any of those options are fine, you just have to choose one. Flat = no gloss, satin/semi gloss = a bit of gloss, glossy = high gloss. As long as it's from a decent quality lacquer can, it doesn't matter. Just pick one that will give your guitar the look you want.
Quote by lumberjack
Pizza The Hut we have yet to hear what kind of finish you actually WANT. Any of those options are fine, you just have to choose one. Flat = no gloss, satin/semi gloss = a bit of gloss, glossy = high gloss. As long as it's from a decent quality lacquer can, it doesn't matter. Just pick one that will give your guitar the look you want.

Well you see I know i want a somewhat glossy finish, how ever i have had bad experinces with gloss spray paint on a previous body job a long time ago. I used gloss black It came out with a thick, rubbery, crappy finish. It was most likey my own F uck up. But now i really don't trust gloss paint i figure the clearcoat will make it glossy (correct me if I'm wrong please) I really want this job to come out perfect so I'm trying to learn as much as i can.
The gloss clear will make it glossy... but it will glossy over flat. It will probably look weird.

Go to an auto body place, and use Duplicolor stuff, all high gloss (but not the primer. I don't think glossy primer is necessary) and read the stickied post at the top of this forum.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.