Page 1 of 2
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1815538,00.html

Scientists at the Karolinska Institute studied brain scans of 90 gay and straight men and women, and found that the size of the two symmetrical halves of the brains of gay men more closely resembled those of straight women than they did straight men. In heterosexual women, the two halves of the brain are more or less the same size. In heterosexual men, the right hemisphere is slightly larger. Scans of the brains of gay men in the study, however, showed that their hemispheres were relatively symmetrical, like those of straight women, while the brains of homosexual women were asymmetrical like those of straight men. The number of nerves connecting the two sides of the brains of gay men were also more like the number in heterosexual women than in straight men.

in a nutshell: gay men and straight women have symmetrical brains (right size same as left). straight men and gay women have have asymmetrical brains (different sized).

interesting.

genetic causes may be possible. genes that cause enzymes for the function of certain sides of the brain may be functioning differently and cause the brain to be homosexual/heterosexual in development, etc.

discuss.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
So what does it make bisexuals, transgenders, transexuals, transvestites, panexuals, omnisexuals ETC....
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
I read through that the other day. There have also been similar studies with specific parts of the brain, like the hippocampus and cerebellum and whatnot, that came up with the same results: Gay peoples' brains resemble the normal brains of the opposite sex.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Quote by Guitar0player
So what does it make bisexuals, transgenders, transexuals, transvestites, panexuals, omnisexuals ETC....

there's probably more to what's actually inside the brain, other than just the brain size, that determines this trait (if we'll call it that for argument's sake). probably certain nucleotide/amino acid chains determine the alleles and maybe some of them are missing or undergo some translocation in meiosis or something to make a different phenotype--bisexual, etc.

transgender has to do with the sex chromosome. a male could have XXY chromosomes to make a very feminine male, or a male could have XYY to make a more masculine male (i'm generalizing a ton, but that's pretty much it).
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Watch the gay community complain about society trying to "fix" them now.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Quote by westo
transgender has to do with the sex chromosome. a male could have XXY chromosomes to make a very feminine male, or a male could have XYY to make a more masculine male (i'm generalizing a ton, but that's pretty much it).

There are syndromes for XXY (commonly Klinefelter's syndrome), XYY, and XXYY genotypes occurring from birth. If I remember correctly, their main effects on the brain deal with learning and speech disorders, but I don't know too much about them.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Quote by SAINTJIMMY9999

Watch biggots complain about the gay community...Oh wait! We just saw that!
Quote by TunerAddict
Watch biggots complain about the gay community...Oh wait! We just saw that!

I think he meant that now that the reason(perhaps for the 10th time) is figured out, it's unfixable, so you cant "fix" gay people.

BTW:

I still dont understand, where do bisexuals come into place here?
Quote by SAINTJIMMY9999

Society, religion, and even select medical institutions have been trying to "fix" gays since the dawn of time.

And trust me they have much bigger problems to worry about.
Quote by Guitar0player
I think he meant that now that the reason(perhaps for the 10th time) is figured out, it's unfixable, so you cant "fix" gay people.

BTW:

I still dont understand, where do bisexuals come into place here?

But what you're now stating is that its something that is unfixable, as though its something wrong.

Nothing wrong with gay people in my book. They are people like the rest of us. Nothing to be fixed.
I think it's probably from birth, a gay man's brain just doesn't change all the way into a "man's" brain, thus strengthening the idea that you can't choose to be gay, you're born that way.
Quote by TunerAddict
But what you're now stating is that its something that is unfixable, as though its something wrong.

Nothing wrong with gay people in my book. They are people like the rest of us. Nothing to be fixed.

It did sound like that?

CRAP!
So does this explain why Fred and Barney had a gay old time.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by TunerAddict

Well, I'm thinking he meant that the gay community would TAKE it that way, not that he thought there was actually something wrong with them.

If you've been watching the news, or reading the paper, they're basically acting ****in facist to get what they want.

I'm all for equality and ****, but dont shove your beliefs down my throat.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Well, I'm thinking he meant that the gay community would TAKE it that way, not that he thought there was actually something wrong with them.

If you've been watching the news, or reading the paper, they're basically acting ****in facist to get what they want.

Blacks did the same thing. Women did the same thing.

Gays have the right to marriage. It isn't a belief thing. Its a law thing. The Supreme Court already overruled "separate but equal" and that what civil unions are. Even if the benefits are exactly the same, it isn't. Its a place down. It is saying gays are not worthy of the rest of us. That they are different, thus not equal.

All men are created equal. Thats straight or gay.
Quote by st.stephen
I think it's probably from birth, a gay man's brain just doesn't change all the way into a "man's" brain, thus strengthening the idea that you can't choose to be gay, you're born that way.

Dude, being gay doesn't make you any less of a man.
It's not an issue of gender here, or whose a real man or whose not. It's about sexual orientation in which is by far a completely different issue.

Quote by valennic

In what way are they shoving their beliefs down your throat?

God that's gotta be the most **** argument in the book. Do you not realize the amount of hypocrisy that comes with that statement alone?

Major religious institutions backed the "Yes on 8" campaign, and if anyone is forcing their beliefs on anyone else, it's them.

And you clearly don't understand fascism.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but don't shove your ignorant claims down my throat.
Last edited by x_thurston_x at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by TunerAddict

Gays have the right to marriage. It isn't a belief thing. Its a law thing. The Supreme Court already overruled "separate but equal" and that what civil unions are. Even if the benefits are exactly the same, it isn't. Its a place down. It is saying gays are not worthy of the rest of us. That they are different, thus not equal.

Gays killed my family, therefore they should have no rights
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by TunerAddict

Yes, and they both still play that same card in court cases and in public.

The supreme court shouldnt have done that, noted, but, the ones that are absolutely hysterical over prop 8 obviously never read the damn thing. I'm all for allowing gay marriage, but NOT with the subsequent consequences that came with that law.

And yes, I already stated I believed that, didnt I?

*It's 11 here...I'm tired, pardon any mistakes and such*

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Interesting. I guess it's not just the hippocampus and the corpus whatchacalit that are the same in gay men as straight women.
Maybe the brain just develops that way because of the way the person thinks and lives their life, instead of being like that initially.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Maybe the brain just develops that way because of the way the person thinks and lives their life, instead of being like that initially.

The yin yang symbol makes more sense when it is spinning.

And I like the way you think.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Ugh...please. It's interesting if true, but the notion that the media is scientifically literate enough to accurately report the findings of this or any study is ridiculous.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Personally, I thought homosexuality was characterized by a preference, or lack thereof, for dick.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by The Leader
Personally, I thought homosexuality was characterized by a preference, or lack thereof, for dick.

The mind is an emergent property of brain activity. This includes one's preferences.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I know...I should have realized reading sarcasm or subtle emotion can be difficult through text alone, perhaps by adding a "" this would have remedied this.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Nice, hopefully this gives the wackos believing that homosexuality is a choice something to think about.
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
If gay men have the same brains as women, why do no women ever do anal?
Quote by Zombee
If gay men have the same brains as women, why do no women ever do anal?

Same size, which doesn't necessarily mean the same mind.
Considering the fact that gay men are limited to anal and oral, and women aren't, I'll assume that's why.
Quote by x_thurston_x
Dude, being gay doesn't make you any less of a man.
It's not an issue of gender here, or whose a real man or whose not. It's about sexual orientation in which is by far a completely different issue.

In what way are they shoving their beliefs down your throat?

God that's gotta be the most **** argument in the book. Do you not realize the amount of hypocrisy that comes with that statement alone?

Major religious institutions backed the "Yes on 8" campaign, and if anyone is forcing their beliefs on anyone else, it's them.

And you clearly don't understand fascism.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but don't shove your ignorant claims down my throat.

Fascism is simply using militant means to further your political goals.

I'd say their have been plenty of instances where this has been the case during the prop. 8 campaign. I mean a church that openly agreed with Prop. 8 got burned down the day Prop 8 passed.

If thats not militant (in other words, fascist) then what is? Its certainly similar to what Italy was doing post-World War I.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Here's another interesting question: people with mental disorders can undergo certain procedures so they act "more like themselves". Examples include Bi-polar people taking lithium.

If scientists ever find the "gay gene" or what makes a person gay, then should gays go along with it? And if they decide not to "become straight", then would that mean that homosexuality is a choice?

Penny for your thoughts.
Just another attempt by the liberal media to enforce the idea that being a homosexual is acceptable..
Quote by Guitar0player

I'm still waiting for that study.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Spamwise
Just another attempt by the liberal media to enforce the idea that being a homosexual is acceptable..

Being a homosexual IS acceptable, no matter what the media says, be it liberal or conservative.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Spamwise

What's wrong with that? It is.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by zippidyduda
Being a homosexual IS acceptable, no matter what the media says, be it liberal or conservative.

Lol, you took me seriously.

This is a pretty cool article. It's just more evidence that it is biological, not that it wasn't obvious enough.
Quote by SAINTJIMMY9999
Here's another interesting question: people with mental disorders can undergo certain procedures so they act "more like themselves". Examples include Bi-polar people taking lithium.

If scientists ever find the "gay gene" or what makes a person gay, then should gays go along with it? And if they decide not to "become straight", then would that mean that homosexuality is a choice?

Penny for your thoughts.

They did not chose to be gay, but they can chose not to be straight, in the sense to not alter their genes which is reprogramming their persona.

That's like saying just because you CAN kill yourself, living is a choice.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->

That's like saying just because you CAN kill yourself, living is a choice.

Your logic doesn't make sense. It is a choice to live, because you can choose to end it if you want to. Homosexuals can choose to have heterosexual sex, but they can't change their attraction.
Page 1 of 2