So I finally figured out how to growl (I am quite proud of that believe it or not) and I am looking to start doing it while playing bass. I think singing and playing bass would be a good starting place to do this, as singing takes slightly less concentration for me than growling. So, how do you sing while playing bass? *yes I know this is a very broad question*

Do I start with REALLY easy songs (I know for guitar I can sing with basic chord progressions like wish you were here, or last kiss.) how do I do this for bass? Just do the root notes to songs like this and see if I can sing along?

Would going super slow on the songs I want to sing with help? Or would I run out of air to quickly?
KISS songs. Easy vocals, Easy basslines.
Police Songs- The singing will be harder than the basslines.
Rush Songs- Will be quite a challenge.
Motorhead songs- Will be fun if you're a fan.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
what makes singing and playing at the same time really hard, Is not the difficulty of the bassline or the singing, but how they differ in rythm. some dead easy songs I find impossible to sing cos The two rythms are different, eg: my band used to play show me how to live by audioslave - I still can't play the riff and sing during the verse, we used to have just guitar instead of just bass in that bit of the song.
Start by tapping your foot. A LOT. I reccomend playing the bassline without singing, while tapping your foot the whole time. Now get an mp3 of the song, or the CD, and sing it the whole way through while tapping your foot.

Do that a bit, then try both. Go from there.
Quote by Anjohl
Start by tapping your foot. A LOT. I reccomend playing the bassline without singing, while tapping your foot the whole time. Now get an mp3 of the song, or the CD, and sing it the whole way through while tapping your foot.

Do that a bit, then try both. Go from there.

I agree, that seems the most effective system.

The key is to get one of the two so ingrained in your memory that you don't even have to think about it. So that playing the other one is almost as easy as if you were doing that part by itself. Of course, once you get good at this you can start doing some nice stuff on your bass while singing (check out the Police), but don't expect it to work out on the first attempt. It's almost like learning a third instrument.
get a microphone ... and sing while playing the bassline .... yh ....
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
According to Dave Mustaine, the trick is to talk while playing, then singing while playing will become natural.
Quote by BrickIsRed
According to Dave Mustaine, the trick is to talk while playing, then singing while playing will become natural.

Interesting. He isn't a bassist, but I can tell you that he knows his stuff. He had a FANTASTIC column in Guitar World for several months, and his lessons were often these really inspired columns about practical topics. I really enjoyed it.
The way that I did was I played along to Alkaline Trio, Blink 182 and Green Day albums, course this was a LONG time ago, so... I don't know what you'd do it to these days. Honestly, I was able to play bass and sing all of Enema of the State, Dookie and Maybe I'll Catch Fire and it really helped in my ability to multitask as a musician.

So, just find a few albums you really like that you can learn the bass parts to and play and sing along to the albums.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.