around $600
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
How about a mexican Fender Strat?

Also, your amp will probably make more of a difference than your guitar, so don't go out buying a Stratocaster and expect to sound just like Hendrix.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
That puts you in an MIM strat with professional set-up. Or 2 Squiers with pro set-ups. Either way, don't buy sight-unseen; you'll need to make sure the fret ends are smooth; some of the ones I tried in guitar stores were like razor wire. Another $150 will by you an MIA (with foreign made parts) Highway 1 Strat. Most Squier tremolo bars only go down (i.e., you can only slacken the strings, not tighten them by pulling up on the bar). You might want the MIM with the licensed Floyd Rose tremolo so it won't go out of tune every 3rd dive bomb. Jimmi knew how to bend each note he fretted just right to compensate for it being out of tune.
i currently use a Valvetronix, i bought for the effects and smooth sound, yet i mostly play on it clean. i was considering trading it for a straight tube amp.

i knew id be looking at MIMs, but was looking for specific model suggestions like Road House or the 60s model. Theres so many models and so many sounds jimi used, suggestions to narrow it down and make sure i dont overlook anything would help.
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
Get something like this:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-SSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=512572

And an Amp like this:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

I play this set up when I go into my music store and almost nails a cheap Hendrix sound. Or, save up your money.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Please don't get a squire. Save up longer, get an american strat (if your pacifica isn't enough of a strat already?) and be happy with the buy for the rest of your days. Nothing against the mexicans, but I know a fair few people with them and they're all saving up to get an american p/xing their MIM's.

Mexicans are a half way point to a pro grade instrument almost all of the time and it wastes a lot of money trading and swapping around.

What exact hendrix tone are you going for?

An octave pedal may well do it (make sure you research which octave to get, up or down).

You already have the wha covered with your cry baby.

Select the setting between the neck and middle pickups to get the out of phase sort of sound.

And a fuzz pedal might be handy.
I've found a nice Hendrix tone is one of the harder tone's to really do well. You simply won't get it cheap.

His came from early Strat's with a more piano-like tone mixed with the big Marshall amps that everyone was digging at the time. That's enough for the basics, then you need to figure in pedals for the various songs he used them on.

Basically, you're not going to get a Hendrix tone by combining a cheap Fender with a cheap amp. You'll need to figure out for yourself what kind of guitar you like best, as the kind of Strats he played aren't around (cheaply) any more. Then you're going to have to buy a big tube amp and overdrive it. Get an amp with a British sound, and just play loud.

Basically - don't bother buying a specific guitar in order to sound like Hendrix, just find one you like. And as far as a strat for $600, I'd buy a used U.S. Strat.
Quote by Sharck
I've found a nice Hendrix tone is one of the harder tone's to really do well. You simply won't get it cheap.

His came from early Strat's with a more piano-like tone mixed with the big Marshall amps that everyone was digging at the time. That's enough for the basics, then you need to figure in pedals for the various songs he used them on.

Basically, you're not going to get a Hendrix tone by combining a cheap Fender with a cheap amp. You'll need to figure out for yourself what kind of guitar you like best, as the kind of Strats he played aren't around (cheaply) any more. Then you're going to have to buy a big tube amp and overdrive it. Get an amp with a British sound, and just play loud.

Basically - don't bother buying a specific guitar in order to sound like Hendrix, just find one you like. And as far as a strat for $600, I'd buy a used U.S. Strat.

BS
A used MIA Strat would be nice, though an MIM would suffice. Also look at this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Lite-Ash-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=511337
Best tone in it's price range, but I have encountered a few with sharp fret edges. That seems to be an exception though becasue no one else here ever complains about that. I'd still try before buying though, just in case. Great guitar all around.

You don't really need an SSS Strat for Hendrix - I use the neck and middle pickups mostly for Hendrix licks on my Strat, the bridge one is never used for that. So you can get an HSS Strat for some more versatility.

As for the amp: Yes, a tube amp would be nice, but the Vox will suffice. I'd rather buy a nice guitar if I was you instead of buying a cheaper one to be able to afford a small tube amp. Voxes are nice enough and you can get a better amp later.
Don't advertise when it's not needed, as much as it looks nice he may not be lookin' for that.

Anyway, I'd say a Fender MIM standard (cheapest) and try to get a used Fender Blues Junior amp.
Perfect.
I've noticed recently that having big strings (at least 11s) contributes to sounding more like Hendrix. Perhaps look at the Classic Player 50s/60s models - great guitars for the money. A clean-ish valve amp will help too.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
actually, jimi recorded with a flying v, so a faded gibson or used, but he used every guitar known to man at one point..lol
Quote by TheQuailman

You don't really need an SSS Strat for Hendrix - I use the neck and middle pickups mostly for Hendrix licks on my Strat, the bridge one is never used for that. So you can get an HSS Strat for some more versatility.

Because Hendrix held a conventional Strat upside down, the angle of the bridge pickup was reversed, so he had a brighter low E and a mellower high E rather than vice versa as was intended. He used that quite a lot, and you don't get that with an HSS. Otherwise, I'd agree.