can i put a 12au7 in a 12ax7 slot? im thinking about putting the 12au7's in v1 and v2. v1 is for the input and v2 is the Eq section and im keeping a 12ax7 in v3 because it is the tube phaser and dont wanna mess with the power section.

is this safe? will it damage my amp at all? will i be able to push my power tubes harder this way and get to the sweet spot faster?

im doing this becuase the crate v33h gets pretty dam loud and breaks up alittle bit even on 1. i want to get a better sound at a lower volume since this guy has no master volume.
Yeah, that's fine. Last time I checked, they're totally interchangeable. Go for it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
email crate im sure there hapy to answer questions or go to the crate users forum
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
you can do it...preamp tubes are just plug and play...we cant guarante it ll sound good tho
Yes they are completly interchangable. But, the 12au7 has a gain factor of 19, while a 12ax7 has a gain factor of 100. Hence your preamp section will have 81% less gain.
The lower gain tubes will make the breakup point higher in volume. SO you will have to turn it up louder. Try the tried and true method of a OD pedal like a ts9 etc to get more dirt at lower volumes. You can also shop around for different 12ax7 tubes. Some are better than others. Im gonna imagine crate goes for cost and durability during shipping over tone when it comes to tubes in their amps.
correct me if im wrong but i thought the idea behind lower gain preamp tubes was to give you less dirt from the pre and allow you to turn it up louder (output saturation) and get a little more headroom?

i've never tried it (interested though and thats why i dropped by this thread), but i think the actual volume change would be minimal and you'd mainly see a difference in gain though. .
I don't think you should drop all the way down to a 12AU7. I think you should try out 5751's or 12AT7's.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, they are 100% interchangeable, don't think it would sound too hot though.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
And yeah, if you wanted to swap down to a 12AU7, it won't hurt your amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i guess thats why fender uses 12at7's right? i think i will try the 12at7 and maybe a 5751. i also hear that lower gain tubes give you better clarity, is this true?
Quote by Schwebel
Yes they are completly interchangable. But, the 12au7 has a gain factor of 19, while a 12ax7 has a gain factor of 100. Hence your preamp section will have 81% less gain.
+1

12AX7 100 mn
5751 70 mn
12AT7 60 mn
12AY7 40 mn
12AU7 20 mn
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
It won't work. Lower gain tubes give you lower gain, period.
The preamp feeds the power amp, so lowering the gain in the preamp means the power section runs cleaner too. You won't get power tube OD at lower volumes.