Just out of curiosity, If you are a professional musician, can you claim gear on tax such as recording gear, maintenance etc?

Semi-free gear?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
tax deductions aren't really that simple. beside, "free" doesn't exist in the business world.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Where are you from that the tax on gear is even close to the total amount of the gear?

If you are listed as a professional musician (I forget how you go about this, all I know is in Texas you just have to claim it and you get tax exempt status for musical purchases) then you can write off all music purchases (instrument and recording-wise, not cds and stuff).
What country are you in as tax laws differ greatly between countries. Generally i'd say if your in the highest tax bracket, and you claim gear, you would essentially be getting it for a fraction over half.

But theres the question of whether you just use it for work, or whether you use it domestically as well. In the eyes of the tax commissioner, you will have to ask yourself, would I have bought this peice of gear if i wasnt going to use it for work? If you do use it for both business and domestic use, you will have to apportion the amount of time you use it for each activity, and you may be able to claim a certain percentage as a tax deduction
RG's & Mesa's
I'm in Australia. Although I don't know how tax is supposed work, because I do my own online. And with that I just add up as many tax deductions as I can up to the limit where they start to check for documentation. That doesn't make me a fraud, I'm a student I needZ mah discountz
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.